Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Hmmmm. Releasing a TB MacPro just in time for the announcement TB2 will be released in 2014, early in the product cycle for this MacPro 2013.

Rocketman

Attachments

• old-computer.jpg
    old-computer.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I'm hoping to run a proper operating system on this new Mac Pro too.
Please no more of this iOS stuff in Mountain Lion please, give us a slim innovative OS like Snow Leopard was.

I understand your feelings but that is a no-go for Apple.

Unless Apple decides to bing some sort of specific "Pro-OS" there is no way a new Mac (whatever Mac that may be) will not come with the newest version the mainstream OS. And with every new release of the mainstream OS (OS X) there will be more and more iOS features. More iCloud integration. Etc.

IMHO, Apple wil move more and more to a mainstream user-experience. More and more to ease of use and moving OS X closer to iOS. Pro-apps will become easier to use and general computer hardware fast enough for the consumerization of IT in general.

IF Apple were to release a new Mac Pro, it will fit in one of the following categories:
1. Mac Pro based on current form factor: keep the current Pro-users happy, but this release is probably definitely the last....
2. Mac Pro / Mac mini hybrid (hate that word): a Mac mini with room for a "real" grfx card and 2 SSDs, forget optical drive.
3. Mac mini with beefed up specs..... Just Apple's way of saying: bye bye Pro.

Whatever the release, whatever the hardware: the Pro-market is diminishing... for Apple.

EljayWasHere

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I really hope they bring a new 30" ACD to their display line up too!

The 30" ACD will be built-in to the all-in-one iMacPro unit.

It will also be available in a 36" Retina iMacPro model.

Best of all, it will be super-thin. And upgrading will be easy, as long as you BTO the upgrades you want.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
LOLZpersonok,

Price is not everything. You don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish!
$11,497 is not a lot to some professionals. It all depends on what your clients requirements are for the job. If you are smart you can bill part of that cost in as part of the job. We are talking Macs here, not cheap plastic Acer machines. For Pro users Apple is not trying to be J. C. Penny!

I guess I may be overseeing some things since I do look for products based on price. I still avoid Acer, Acer sucks.

----------

There's no questioning the fact that the mac pro is probably at a historically overly inflated price with respect to its hardware. Which is why I'm guessing so many people in this thread are asking for the entry level upgradable mac pro to drop back to $1,500 where it use to be and the hardware to match the price. :rolleyes:

Once the update comes then you can run your comparison, until then it's just a red herring.

Ultimately the issue is about not locking your money in the planned obsolescence of an iMac and having it work for you as long as possible in something that is highly upgradable like the mac pro. 2GB of video ram might look sexy to you now but give it two years when volta drops and then not so much. I like to get a solid 4-5 years out of a machine. My 8core 2008 mac pro with 32gb of ram is holding well enough. I have 2 new video cards available to me with the possibility of a 3rd coming in the mac pro. How well do you think an iMac from 2008 would look against that?

Hence the reason I continue to use PC's as my main system, you can upgrade the living daylights out of them and it doesn't matter what hardware you use.

I'll give upgradeability to you, but if I were to look for a Mac system it'd be an iMac. I'd say I'd be able to get 3+ years out of it before becoming "obsolete".

iamnotKennyG

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Boston
Could be just a hype strategy..

but still, this and the announcement of Pro Tools 11 in the same day is pretty friggin sweet!!

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I don't know of anyone who would need a Ford F-350 super duty pickup. Surely, a Ford F-150 would be plenty for everybody.

...but computers aren't cars.

Imagine that the carrying capacity and performance of all cars had increased drastically in the last 5 years. Imagine you could now get six bales of straw, two goats and a concrete mixer in the back of a compact saloon. Imagine that you could add a trailer when needed and still drive at full speed (c.f. USB3/Thunderbolt external expansion).

People who needed a pickup in 2008 could now do the same thing in a small car. Of course there are still people who need four goats etc. and will buy pickups, but the market has shrunk.

The problem for Apple is not whether some people still want Pros - its whether enough people want Pros to justify the huge expense of developing a new workstation.

Apple are also in a cleft stick: superficially, the obvious thing to do would be to produce a fairly conventional tower PC using off-the-shelf components (a sort of official hackintosh. This would meet the needs of a swathe of Pro customers who just need the internal expansion/full-size graphics cards rather than any exotic hardware. However, without any distinctive Apple twists, it will either look over priced c.f. similarly specced PCs or, if cheaper, it will cannibalise sales of their far more profitable, higher margin small-form-factor systems.

(Or, Apple could invent the Sports Utility Computer and convince lots of people that they needed a $3000 tower workstation in order to check their email and run Pages - but I think you need government pork-barrel incentives for that).

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
True! But you're missing one aspect tough, I like to be able to put the latest graphic cards from third party manufactures into my computer. The iMac might be suitable to do lot's of things with it, for me machines can't be fast enough due of render time and being able to do multitasking jobs a fat amount of big files.

The problem I have with the iMac is that you 'still' pay a lot of money for it (still as revering to the fact Apple products are still to expensive in my point of view) but you can't do anything else with it except for clustering other devises on it using usb 3 and lightbolt maybe.... but you're stuck when you would like to put in a new graphics card for example and for many users out there, even more you might think, that's incredible important feature.....

I also think it's very unprofessional what Apple has done with it's Mac Pro users market. Apple DID had a say in the professional editing world with Final Cut Pro and destroyed it's position in one day when trowing an all ready good editing program overboard to come up with an editing program made for children. I have seen studio owners gone mad about it, not being able to load in once more their old projects and not even be able to restore the 'old' Final Cut program since Apple didn't allow that. YES Apple did take notice of the tons of justified criticism it got and restored the option of being able to re-use the old program quickly and YES Final Cut Pro -these days- is starting to look good once more (took a year or two....)....
But this all said, Apple DID loose a lot of professional users due of these mistakes made by Apple and yes, those where mistakes made by Apple....

Don't forget that editors, especially those working with an increasing demand for 2K video (soonish even 4K) need fast computers, computers with graphic cards that easily can handle those criteria. Even more important, when new graphic cards comes out and made ready for use with a Apple pro, many people do want this....

I even go as far that Apple has no choice other then to restore it's position it once had, that of a professional player not only for the masses. There where days I saw Apple at IBC (International Broadcasting Conference) in Amsterdam the Netherlands each year, but they are not their any longer. Reason? Because their hardware for the professional market is no longer a player compared with other companies. Simple as that.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, working on it myself and love being able to work on them in the future, but a NEW Mac pro is defiantly needed if Apple seriously means that it does play a role in the professional market. I'm glad to see that Apple seems to understand what they have done wrong in the past.

The way I see your post is two ways: Either the current Mac Pro doesn't really need to be updated or Apple should throw away their other products since they aren't upgradeable, other than RAM.

Another reason I keep my main system running on Windows, it's very upgradeable and I never have any issues. So that may be why an iMac would be perfect for me, as a secondary machine (another reason I bought my PowerMac G4, because it's a Mac but I can't make much money). But still, 2GB for dedicated video will be pretty good for a few years. Heck, not very many systems nowadays don't even come with more than 1GB. Even though my main computer is a laptop it's still just as powerful as a fully maxed out iMac (with slightly more powerful graphics capability) minus being able to go past 16GB of RAM. And it cost less than $1000 so I don't have a problem buying a new one in 5+ years since that's how long I was able to use my previous machine for. It was from 2007.

Again with the upgradeability, I guess my next machine will be a desktop. I just wouldn't need a Mac Pro, a fully maxed out iMac at best. I just don't need a Mac as powerful as the Mac Pro because I can get software that either does the same thing or is the same thing as the Mac variant on Windows. All I really want a powerful Mac for is for Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, iMovie and GarageBand. My PowerMac G4 is just too old and incompatible to be able to do much of that on it.

I'm going to be publicly executed for saying that, aren't I?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Somehow, I feel like this won't be a new model. I feel like it'll just be an update so they can sell the current Pro's in Europe again.

Then why hasn't it been released. If they were just going to update to cover the blades they could have had that out weeks ago

----------

My vote goes to a refresh of the entire macbook family and a new Mac pro at WWDC.

WWDC is a software conference. And about two weeks too late to launch Back to School in the US,which is the perfect tie in for new notebooks.

I'm saying early May with go times in mid to late May on notebooks. And perhaps the announcement of the Pro, although it might not street until July or so with 10.9

----------

I'm hoping to run a proper operating system on this new Mac Pro too.
Please no more of this iOS stuff in Mountain Lion please, give us a slim innovative OS like Snow Leopard was.

No one is forcing you to use Launchpad, iCloud etc. so don't.

----------

Please tell me there is an updated Thunderbolt display to go along side this...:mad::mad::mad::apple:

With hdmi please.

And then wait for the fun when all those analysts figure out that that is the 'iTV'

----------

And the new Mac pro is all Mac mini's stacked up to each other, a modular system with even extra CPU's, graphics cards and HD's in a separate module. Or is this not posible because of the connection speed between the modules?

US07602603-20091013-D00000.jpg

This is what I'm thinking with the stack parts being hard drives, SuperDrive etc. leveraging thunderbolt for connections. The graphics cards, RAM would be in the main unit which would be the size of 2-3 Minis stacked together

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Headline states April or May, body copy states "next several months" — which could mean as far away as November. LOL, nice way to cover your ass, eh? Personally, I wouldn't expect one until after WWDC at the earliest.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
For a Pro machine? No way, unless "Pro" just means "slots".

For $1899, they could easily make a machine that beats the pants off the current base MP ($2499).

They sell an iMac with a 3.1 Ghz i7 for $1699, there's no reason they couldn't make a base MP with similar specs and swap the monitor for slots, bays, and more ram capacity at that same price point. I'd argue that machine would be no less "pro" than the base model they have now.

Apple has been beating their heads on catering to the pros market - they almost went bankrupt.

That's not what caused them to almost go bankrupt. It would be idiotic for them for them to cater to only pros, but there's just no reason for them not to include a pro model in a full product line. And they don't have to "beat their heads" to make pros happy, in fact doing that is probably the easiest thing in their product line. It's not rocket science, just the latest CPUs from intel with a decent number of ram slots, pci slots, and bays, and the latest versions of the various ports. And for years intel has been designing those motherboards and Apple just makes minor tweaks to those designs. There's really no excuse for Apple doing such an awful job with the mac pro, everyone knows that the sales aren't huge, but the development costs are the lowest of any computer apple sells, maybe of any product they sell (other than accessories).

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
You have to understand. Apple has been beating their heads on catering to the pros market - they almost went bankrupt. Apple has finally realized that the pro market is not where the revenue lies. It's in the consumer market. Don't you get it. Last chance to hold their tier in what?? If they could integrate the consumer and the pros, they will be successful but not pros alone.

That "almost bankrupt" was all pre-OS X and it had very little to do with catering to pros- they were just completely clueless. The thing you need to consider is that for every "pro", there are hundreds of consumers that want to emulate the pro look and feel. The Mac and iOS ecosystem was spawned by pros, evangelized by pros and spread by way of wannabes down to those hundreds of consumers who then told their friends and family. Plus, the pros are the ones building software for the Mac and iPhone/iPad. They don't do that on Mac Minis.

Now, I will say that 75% of my work could now be served by an iMac, and the other 25% would just take more time. I don't absolutely need a Mac Pro anymore. But I'm still using a maxed out 2006 model for production, and only last year did I feel like it needed replacing. That's a good 6 years running full time, with no problems whatsoever. So not only was it a powerhouse when I got it, but it lasted longer than I expected, and was well worth the price. I rotate backups and upgrade internals in a manner not possible with an iMac.

So, while I could get an iMac every two years, I'd prefer a Mac Pro every six. I also suspect that's why they let it go stale - Apple doesn't love selling me one computer in the time I should buy three.

fsboy0

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
I couldn't agree with you more.. New form factor, limited expansion.. mostly all SSD or Fusion which I don't even use and I have a 6-core running ML.. Of course, no optical since Apple thinks its not needed anymore.

As far as graphics, maybe integrated, shared graphics with no possibility of adding a video card.. Yeah, a real disappointment.

You're out of your mind. What would be the point of doing all that, it would just make the Mac Pro compete with iMacs.

Much of the Mac Pro users are involved in heavy video processing, 3D modeling/rendering, etc. It would make no sense to have integrated graphics. Also: NVIDIA and EVGA just released two new graphics cards for the Mac Pro.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
a hackintosh seems to be limited to one processor

What ever gave you that idea?

One 5.25" bay could easily be swapped for two 2.5" bays.

Sure, but if they were smart they could probably also come up with a bay that could either hold one optical or two SSD. Honestly, I don't have the foggiest idea what the rest of your post has to do with what I wrote, looks like you probably totally misunderstood what I was talking about.

The iMac is both cheaper yet it goes up to 32GB of RAM, 3TB (I think) and still has dedicated graphics, so it's quite capable of doing the same thing, just with less RAM and 8 processor cores less.

So you're saying it does the same thing...just not the same thing.

fully configured a Mac Pro will cost $11,497...

Only an idiot would buy things like ram and hard drives from Apple. And that ignores the biggest advantage of Mac Pro, getting those from a third party and putting them in is a piece of cake.

Going to twelve cores is expensive, but it actually does bring up performance way beyond the top end iMac. For people who work for a living, that's worth it if it pays for itself.

For people with a lot of storage, internal is useless.

You ignore the fact that the external ports are slower than the internal on a mac pro. Next generation, there should be usb 3, sata III, and thunderbolt, but the sata will still be a better choice than the usb, and the tb is wildly more expensive than internal.

My Mac Pro 2008 is slower than my retina Mbp in pretty much everything.

2008 is an old model, and there is a huge difference in power between the 2008 and 2009 due to the addition of hyperthreading. An 8 core 2009 machine is still fast.

Using single-processor Macs made today are still like struggling through neck-deep mud compared to the 2006 MP.

Have you actually made the comparison? The new quad core machines have hyperthreading which is comparable to having more cores (not as good as having twice as many cores, but still a considerable improvement). Plus higher clock speeds than the 2006 models, plus the newer chips are more efficient at the same clock speed and faster bus and ram. Frankly I'd be shocked if any of the current i7 macs weren't miles faster than the fastest 2006 MP. Assuming I just needed the speed and not the expandability, I'd take a high end iMac over a 2006 MP in a heartbeat. And I hate iMacs.

its whether enough people want Pros to justify the huge expense of developing a new workstation.

Except that the expense of a new workstation isn't "huge" by any stretch of the imagination, it should have the lowest development costs of any mac they sell. Take a standard Intel design, make the necessary Apple specific tweaks and throw it in a case. That's what they've been doing for years, and probably what they will keep doing.

----------

An iMac with slots is now "Pro"?

Did you quote the wrong post? Because I certainly didn't say that.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
The Mac Pro is a workstation grade computer, it's not like I was saying "Apple should throw it out the door".

But that's what you implied. (Either that, or you were implying the everyone here was a fanboy with too much money).

You're also missing a common thread that's been posted here.

There are many here, myself included, that need something inbetween the iMac and a full-decked out MacPro. But Apple hasn't offered that in years. So we buy MacPros (when they actually get launched).

My ideal system would probably be a dual processor, 4 RAM slots, 2 HD bays, and room for two video cards of my choosing. I could max that out and be comfortable for a number of years.

But when my current MacPro can't be updated to the latest OS, I need to do something, and if Apple doesn't provide a product, a PC manafacturer will.

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
The thing is though you can buy 3 iMac in 6 years instead of one Mac Pro. So you would be upgrading the internals of your iMac in a sense, by upgrading the whole thing. Then again, a top of the line Mac Pro will be faster than a 2 year ahead iMac in multicore work, but not at single core jobs. So if your work consists of single core threads most of the time, buying and selling iMacs might make more sense.

But let's not forget how wasteful and environmentally unsound it is to push three machines where only one is needed, not to mention the display has to go with the machine. Greenpeace will not be pleased.

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sure - except the 650m is slower than the 5870 - just have a look at the games forum, the 650m struggles to play The Witcher 2 at medium/high settings while I could play that game on high/ultra settings and 2560x1440 without any problems.

But it took the mbps and iMacs 4 years to catch up to the Mac Pros from 2008. In 2008 a new mbp was also faster than a PowerMac from 2004.

Dude your gifatar is freaking me out. I'm on my ipad and I seriously though somebody was vncing into it.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
This could be true.. Apples direction is clear.. consumer and itoys.. I don't think the Mac Pro will see Haswell. That is more geared to mobile computing platforms.

QUOTE=nutjob;17118296]Enjoy the new release, it will be the MacPro's last.[/QUOTE]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.