running a machine elswhere question, help?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by unc32, Apr 23, 2003.

1. unc32 macrumors regular

We have a mac in our lab running 10.2.5, can I run a program on that machine and have it viewed on mine. We do it all the time with actual unix machines but can we do it with a mac too? That would be so convenient. Does anyone know how to envoke such an envirnoment?

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

the only way to do this is with vnc.

there is hope to do it natively, since the quartz interface is in fact a lightweight window server, however these things are not written directly to memory and it would require some nifty work to intercept the messages... anyway this is from apple's dev site:

"Quartz is comprised of a high-performance, lightweight window server and a graphics rendering library for two-dimensional (2D) shapes. The window server features such advanced capabilities as device-independent color and pixel depth, REMOTE DISPLAY, layered compositing, and buffered windows for the automatic repair of window damage."

3. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

i don t know if it wokrs, but as mac os x is running on freebsd, there might be a possibility to open the windows, using x11 and ssh - x11 forwarding?!