Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Well, after a day with a $1399 1.67Ghz 15" PB, and finding out I can't get Applecare for it, I've decided to return it for a new MBP.

However, I'll be running the full Adobe suite, so 512MB of ram won't cut it. I don't think I'll need a full 2GB, so to save money I think I'll just add a 1GB module.

Is this a bad idea?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I started with 512MB in my 17" Intellimac. I added 1 GB (1.5GB total) and was pretty happy but decided to bump it up to 2GB.

To be honest, the speed difference was unnoticeable. Maybe if I'd run benchmarks I'd have seen some difference, but, day-to-day use, no noticeable difference at all. None.

I do development work, so I do see a difference when I have lots of apps running and I'd otherwise be swapping, but, if you tend to stay below 1.5GB, you'll be perfectly fine without the matched RAM.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Awesome. I had heard murmurs of a little lower performance using mismatched ram, so I was concerned.

Again, I may go up to 2GB later, but as you said, it may not be worth it.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
Applecare...

neoelectronaut said:
Well, after a day with a $1399 1.67Ghz 15" PB, and finding out I can't get Applecare for it, I've decided to return it for a new MBP.

Is this a bad idea?

First off.. why cant you get Applecare?? Never heard of this, its less than a year old correct?

And I would return it, if it were me :) The Duo Core is only 4-500 more and considerably more machine.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
RGunner said:
First off.. why cant you get Applecare?? Never heard of this, its less than a year old correct?

And I would return it, if it were me :) The Duo Core is only 4-500 more and considerably more machine.

It was an open boxed unit. I work at the shop I bought it from, and I figured it was a floor model, no big deal.

Apple tells me it's been registered already and has already had multiple tech support calls logged.

I went with a G4 simply because Adobe isn't Universal yet, and $1399 is a damn good for a laptop that, at this time last year, ran for $2299.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Now I just need to find a store that carries the dang stuff. CompUSA only had 512MB modules, Best Buy has it on their website but not in store, and Circuit City doesn't seem to know it exists at all.

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
neoelectronaut said:
Now I just need to find a store that carries the dang stuff. CompUSA only had 512MB modules, Best Buy has it on their website but not in store, and Circuit City doesn't seem to know it exists at all.
If you can hang in there a couple days...order a 1GB module from the internet. Other World Computing/Newegg maybe. If Circuit City doesnt know it exists, they dont deserve your business...anyway, I'd be willing to be that the brands online are better quality (and certified to work on Apple machines).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.