Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audioamtron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
I may already know the answer to this, but I figured I'd ask here anyway. I have a non-EFI nVidia GTX 750 Ti that has been working beautifully in my Mac Pro 3,1 with the nVidia web driver on El Capitan. I decided to go on one of my "computer adventures" last night and install Windows on one of my other hard drives. I tried to boot from USB to install Windows, which didn't work (and I knew better, but tried it anyway). I was stuck with the "no boot device screen". I thought, "resetting the NVRAM should fix this." Well, it also "fixed" my computer's ability to use its graphics card - apparently the NVRAM reset sets MacOS back to its default video driver. Thus, now my card displays nothing whatsoever. I have ordered an old mac-specific card from ebay, but in the mean-time, is there a way I can get MacOS to use my card? I really would like to use my computer.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
I think you need to use either remote desktop sharing or remtoe login (ssh) then enable webdriver (in case of ssh, add nvda_drv=1 to boot-args)

audioamtron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
I think you need to use either remote desktop sharing or remtoe login (ssh) then enable webdriver (in case of ssh, add nvda_drv=1 to boot-args)
I think I saw somewhere that I'll need to remove the card to make the mac pro boot so I can use those methods, due to the OS Kernel Panicking. Does that sound correct?

Also, will I have needed to enable ssh access or remote login before hand?

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Hold "X" when you boot.

This will boot from OSX without reset PRAM.
The problem is that the OP already reset PRAM.

Holding 'X' will "Start up from an OS X startup volume when the Mac would otherwise start up from a non-OS X startup volume." i.e. if it set to boot from a Windows volume it will instead boot from OS X without any other intervention required.

audioamtron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Ah well.. thanks for the help guys. I have a graphics card coming that I can fix it with. I should have been more careful. I actually tried the "X" thing first, but it didn't work (I probably timed it wrong).

pigsyn

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2015
France
If you only have a non EFI and Unsupported by Apple GPU you should avoid reseting PRAM because it resets nvram boot-args for nvidia driver ... and put you in a kernel panick loop at boot until you plug back your GT120 or ATI 5770.

For windows installation with a non EFI-GPU (not tested under El Crapitan):
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-windows-7-and-gtx-970.1926015/#post-22055803

If you're under El Crapitan, bootChamp no longer works because of System Integrity Protection.
You will need to go to startup disk under OSX and bootcamp in Windows to switch OS.

Neanderphil

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2006
I may already know the answer to this, but I figured I'd ask here anyway. I have a non-EFI nVidia GTX 750 Ti that has been working beautifully in my Mac Pro 3,1 with the nVidia web driver on El Capitan. I decided to go on one of my "computer adventures" last night and install Windows on one of my other hard drives. I tried to boot from USB to install Windows, which didn't work (and I knew better, but tried it anyway). I was stuck with the "no boot device screen". I thought, "resetting the NVRAM should fix this." Well, it also "fixed" my computer's ability to use its graphics card - apparently the NVRAM reset sets MacOS back to its default video driver. Thus, now my card displays nothing whatsoever. I have ordered an old mac-specific card from ebay, but in the mean-time, is there a way I can get MacOS to use my card? I really would like to use my computer.

Use apple voiceover. http://www.apple.com/uk/accessibility/osx/voiceover/

It's a bit tricky to get the hang of, but does the job.

Luc_H

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2018
Hi guys, I probably made the same error. I purchased a AMD Radeon RX580 for my Mac Pro mid-2010, that worked perfectly OOTB (with no boot screen of course). Then I tried to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp, and got that message "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" after reboot. After reseting PRAM / NVRAM, I got a black screen. It sounds like I boot into OSX but I have no visual feedback. I ordered a basic GT120 to have a bootscreen, but as newbie I have no clue of the process to make the Radeon work again. Any suggestions would be super helpful. :)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi guys, I probably made the same error. I purchased a AMD Radeon RX580 for my Mac Pro mid-2010, that worked perfectly OOTB (with no boot screen of course). Then I tried to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp, and got that message "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" after reboot. After reseting PRAM / NVRAM, I got a black screen. It sounds like I boot into OSX but I have no visual feedback. I ordered a basic GT120 to have a bootscreen, but as newbie I have no clue of the process to make the Radeon work again. Any suggestions would be super helpful. :)

Definitely not the same issue. Your card work OOTB, reset PRAM won’t kill the MacOS driver.

Remove the Windows drive, leave only the MacOS drive in bay 1. And try reset PRAM again.

Also, try power recycle your monitor, just in case that is stuck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.