Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willjbryan

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
The spirited defenses of Apple's failure to enable a 2880x1800 unscaled resolution (even as an advanced setting) annoy me. They smack of Apple-worship/blaming the victims of their bias toward lowest-common-denominator software design.

I switched from Windows to the rmbp solely for the increased screen real estate of the hacked 1800p mode - it's fantastic and has greatly improved my mobile productivity. I am pretty nearsighted and am corrected to 20/15 or so, and after a few days of use am completely comfortable with the smaller icons. In the absence of the hack, I simply wouldn't own the device. In its presence, I'd be willing to pay $5k for the machine. Some of the comments here make it seem like a desire for more screen real estate is like bestiality or satanic rites - I really just want to get work done faster.

bitfidelity

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
How are you guys getting by on 2880x1800? I can read the OS menus just fine, but text in programs is really hard to make out.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
How are you guys getting by on 2880x1800? I can read the OS menus just fine, but text in programs is really hard to make out.

I up font sizes in most things... I also use screen zooming a lot, but I'm already used to that, I've done that for years.

mactoday

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Moscow, Russia
I'm referring to this thing you said:

Rendering is done at the native resolution, nothing is doubled unless there is not enough information (low dpi) to render it at the same size.

Rectangular in shape but, in the case of images it depend on how much information that is in that rectangle.

I'm referring to developer documentation on how Quartz works on OS X, you can also check WWDC sessions about how to develop for resolution independence (if you have dev account).

Until Apple will redesign the whole UI to be scalable there is no point to write apps for this resolution, there would not be a problems for 3D games but this rMBP was made for games? :)
The system UI should be fully vector based and scalable. Fonts is vector based that is why Apple show that fonts looks cool but the whole MacOS X UI should be redesigned.

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
I know the system is still driving all the same pixels, one just looks sharper then the other, so what is the deal here?
Because it's not driving the same amount of pixels. It's driving more pixels when you pick the higher options. OS X renders the screen's usable pixel area at twice the value. i.e. 1440x900 doubled is 2880x1800, the native resolution. But when you use the higher versions, like 1920x1200, you're actually telling the video card to render at 3840x2400, which the OS then scales down to 2880x1800. That's why it's a bit laggier. It's literally almost twice the amount of pixels at the highest "usable area".

The 1680x1050 option is probably not as laggy since it's only about 120% as many pixels being rendered.

Mac-expert

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
Just saved this shot and displayed it fullscreen and aspect ratio correct on my 24" monitor. It was completely and totally unbearable. Sharp? Sure. I guess the tightly packed pixels of the retina screen would make it possible to read a word roughly the length of the nail on my pinky finger, but...why?

If it's too small on my biggish monitor, I can't imagine how horrible it would be on a 15" screen. It's a neat little feature to show off, but it sure as hell isn't good for anything else but.

Don't you get it, the iPad is running a resolution of 2880X1800, does that look horrible to you? No it's beautiful. "If it's too small on my biggish monitor, I can't imagine how horrible it would be on a 15" screen." Well, your biggish monitor isn't a retina display, so it doesn't scale the text, when it makes it sharper, it just makes it sharper, the retina display, looks the same size-wise, but is sharper and have more detail. This is a Shot of a 800x525 HIDPI resolution http://postimage.org/image/shdnvjbf9/
And this is a shot of a normal higher resolution 800x600 resolution http://postimage.org/image/4ffo32xjv/Which looks better, the lower resolution with HIDPI (it may look grainy up close, but that's just the detail)! But they are both the same size, and one looks better.

----------

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended

I'm not talking about the physical resolution, rather the size of the UI elements on the monitor. The iPad 3 has the exactly same sized icons and text as the iPad 2 despite having double the resolution on X and Y. If Apple just upped the resolution of the screen without making the icons higher res alongside it, you'd have buttons that were a quarter of the size, and would be much more difficult to hit with your finger.

Higher screen resolution gives you a shaper, clearer and more vivid image, but a half centimeter sized icon is difficult to hit easily and consistently no matter how sharp, clear, or vivid it is. The default pre rMBP Mac sized icons and text at 2880x1800 on a 15" monitor is just way too damn small.

And those two pictures? The elements are the same size "physically", as in they're all the same resolution, but the higher res screen pic has smaller icons from a usage standpoint.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
when you use the higher versions, like 1920x1200, you're actually telling the video card to render at 3840x2400, which the OS then scales down to 2880x1800. That's why it's a bit laggier. It's literally almost twice the amount of pixels at the highest "usable area".
Are you sure this is the way it works? I can't imagine they are having to render the whole screen at 3840x2400... Surely there's some clever algorithm that speeds this up?

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Are you sure this is the way it works? I can't imagine they are having to render the whole screen at 3840x2400... Surely there's some clever algorithm that speeds this up?
That's right, it's rendering it at 3840x2400 and then downscaling to 1920x1200 for a sharp picture, rather than rendering it at 1920x1200 (no scaling) and then upscaling to 2880x1800.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
That's right, it's rendering it at 3840x2400 and then downscaling to 1920x1200 for a sharp picture, rather than rendering it at 1920x1200 (no scaling) and then upscaling to 2880x1800.
wow... does this slow it down much? I had no idea...

I was planning on using the machine mainly in 1680x1050 mode but if it's going to affect performance, perhaps I should reconsider the hi-res 15" MBP?

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia

I was planning on using the machine mainly in 1680x1050 mode but if it's going to affect performance, perhaps I should reconsider the hi-res 15" MBP?
I don't know, I don't own one. You could probably ask in the MBP forum and get some answers about it. I don't really think it slows it down, but I can't say for sure.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011

I run my base model + 16GB RAM RMBP at 1680x1050 and have absolutely no lag.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
The "looks like" 1680x1050 looks very nice.. and runs great... no reason to get a smaller actual 1680x1050 panel.

outaru

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Both OS's have their advantages and disadvantages.

Is there a setting like this in OS X?

fyR57.jpg

Display settings in OSX is very limiting.. hope Apple implement that in the future.

unethical

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Setres dead

Terrible news. With the latest 10.8.2, SetRes app is now DEAD.

NO more 2880x1800.

I'm now going to backup my data and return this MacBook Retina. I only bought it because of the 2880x1800 resolution.

First they take away our rights to make films, then freedom of 2880 resolution, next freedom of speech :)

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Terrible news. With the latest 10.8.2, SetRes app is now DEAD.

NO more 2880x1800.

I'm now going to backup my data and return this MacBook Retina. I only bought it because of the 2880x1800 resolution.

First they take away our rights to make films, then freedom of 2880 resolution, next freedom of speech :)
What methods have you used? I'm going to upgrade mine tonight, but they really cannot block people from running non-HiDPI modes like that... if they did something that killed that one app I could understand, but should still be doable.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Until Apple will redesign the whole UI to be scalable there is no point to write apps for this resolution, there would not be a problems for 3D games but this rMBP was made for games? :)
The system UI should be fully vector based and scalable. Fonts is vector based that is why Apple show that fonts looks cool but the whole MacOS X UI should be redesigned.

The problem isn't the system UI, that works out of the box. The problem is (non vector) graphical elements that have been added to the application, they need to be of high enough quality to be shown at a native size on a 2880x1800 display or they will be scaled up which doesn't look good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.