Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saqwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
I'm having issues with a cMP 5.1, OCLP 0.6.8 Ventura 13.5 and my "new" 4GB Sapphire RX 470 to replace the current R7/350.
I installed the graphics in Slot 1, connected it to the 6 pin power, re-root-patched with:
AMD Legacy GCN
Legacy Wireless
Legacy USB 1.1 (these are all that come up)

Added "radpg=15" to the config.plist (not needed for the RX, but is needed for the R7), reboot, and black screen.
Switched to R7 in slot 2, RX in slot 1, added pretty much every combination of agdpmod=vit9696, agpdmod=pikera, shikigva=40 shake-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 I could use, still no output from the RX470 after the switch to desktop. Removed and reinstalled root patches, no change. I do get output from the OCLP boot process, so it is not a totally dead card, and I have tested all ports. I have seen multiple reports of this card working. Card also shows up in System Information as:

AMD Radeon RX 470/570:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon RX 470/570
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 4 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67df
Revision ID: 0x00cf
Metal: Supported

I have noted that "Currently at this time, OpenCore Legacy Patcher only supports patching the AMD Polaris and Vega Graphics stack to no longer require AVX2.0." per the Dortana website, and also noted that OCLP is not indicating any patching for Polaris, but I'm not sure how to force that patch if it is not getting installed.

I'm inclined to think it is either boot flags or patching.

Any other thoughts from the people here?

Last edited:

saqwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
It is very likely a root patch issue, as I made a new installer USB with OCLP and Ventura (on the old R5/350) and installed it on a spare mechanical drive with the new RX 470 and it patched and opened just fine. The boot up was using the same old OpenCore install that I was using with the R5, so it is unlikely to be boot flags.

Does anyone know how to force a specific combination of root patches to be installed using OCLP? With the old install it just doesn't seem to be detecting and installing the needed Polaris patches.

saqwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Wound up giving up and just reinstalling Ventura and OCLP. Annoying, but I don't know enough about the new Apple system disk setup to be able to go in and modify it and I didn't see any obvious scripts or config files in OCLP to help install the correct components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.