Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
1. Can you tell us how the battery life is?

2. Care to post some unpacking pictures?

3. Isn't it awesome?

Not sure if these have been posted before, sorry if they have; feel free to post more.

stoid

macrumors 601
I'm stoked to see some real Adobe CS reactions! I'm helping a friend of mine decide between a 17 inch PowerBook and a MacBook Pro, and the ability for i to handle CS for the next 8-12 months is essentially the crux of the matter. If the Apple Store has them on the floor this weekend, we're going to make the 90 mile trip to try it out.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
There was an interview with Jobs and he said that battery life would be able the same as the current G4 Powerbooks. Hopefully the about the same part meant it would be a little better than it is currently, not a little worse. I agree with cnakeitaro though. If anything sucks down the battery life more it's going to be the screens. I thought the chips required about the same as the Powerbooks now.

geekologist

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
Texas
Were people supposed to be recieving them today or is today the day Apple is shipping them? I can't wait to find out about battery life.

LANcaster

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2004
Scotland
cnakeitaro said:
Its not the chips thats gonna drain the battery, its gonna be that 67% brighter screen.
You're quite right; it won't be the CPU as the Core Duos actually have lower power requirements than G4s. However, I think it will be the X1600 graphics chipset that will suck all the power, especially in conjunction with these significantly brighter screens.

I'm looking forward to the first reports from new MB Pro users, if the battery life is fairly good then I can see my credit card taking a battering soon!

AJBMatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2006
Athens, Georgia
At MWSF someone that is on the DSLR forums went and they posted about how they unplugged a MBP running several apps in the background including the entire iLife06 and iWork06. They said with the screen at full brightness it reported back 3:36 for the time left on battery. Now this computer had been used all day and was a preproduction model but that gives me hope for a 5 hr battery life once I get mine. Do not worry I will post lots of stuff. I think also that the screen would take up a lot more battery life if it was not able to be turned down a lot. I believe that it will be able to have the brightness turned way down. This will help out a lot when it comes to saving. Also the Chip is supposed to be able to down clock itself and even shut off one core when it is not in use. This will save a lot of battery. I am going for 5 hours. That will get me through all my classes and then some.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Additional questions:

4. Can you shut off one of the processor cores?

5. Does it come with 10.4.5 pre-loaded or 10.4.4 pre-loaded?

More when I remember them.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
AJBMatrix said:
4) Answered above: YES!

Sorry, I guess that's what happens when you post at the same time.

Are you sure? I'm looking for being able to shut off one of the cores myself, so that no matter what it will go single-core for a while, if I really need to save power. I'm sure it shuts one down automatically....but can I do it manually? And can I choose which one, so I can alternate which one I shut down?

AJBMatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2006
Athens, Georgia
I really forget what site I read that at but it is found in the developer's tools. You can do all that stuff manually there. But the power control features of the chip will do it for you.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
AJBMatrix said:
I really forget what site I read that at but it is found in the developer's tools. You can do all that stuff manually there. But the power control features of the chip will do it for you.

Any way to tell (Activity Moniter, etc.) whether or not one of the cores is shut down if I let the chip do everything itself?

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Unfortunately, don't expect any answers until late February (for Asian customers) or early March.

I was one of the lucky MBP buyers who have February 23rd as the earliest shipping dates, and on my order status page it says March 2nd as the latest delivery date.

I don't know if they'll get out before February 23rd, because here in Pennsylvania we just had a big (20") snowstorm and Apple has warehouses here. (Don't know if there are any MBP's in the warehouses though.)

conradzoo

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
stoid said:
I'm stoked to see some real Adobe CS reactions! I'm helping a friend of mine decide between a 17 inch PowerBook and a MacBook Pro, and the ability for i to handle CS for the next 8-12 months is essentially the crux of the matter. If the Apple Store has them on the floor this weekend, we're going to make the 90 mile trip to try it out.

Check the Coreduo iMac forums. Same chips (almost).

AJBMatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2006
Athens, Georgia
Battery Possibility

Battery Life: I talked to Dell about there 17" blah blah blah Core Duo. And they did not have any battery life specs up online so I called technical support and asked them what it was. And of course I had to call 3 times and got cut off once and transferred to a dead line the second time. But the 3rd time was the charm. I talked to a guy that seemed to know a lot about the Dell version and he said that with the standard battery you should get 4.5 to 5 hours. I had a Dell and that would be an act of God if that happened on it. But he said that you could add an hour with the upgraded battery. So if Dell is looking at "4.5 to 5 hours" probably "3.5 to 4 hours" then we should get at least 5 and ours will have a slightly better battery. And the battery power management abilities of Apple are far better than the MS ones.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
AJBMatrix said:
Battery Life: I talked to Dell about there 17" blah blah blah Core Duo. And they did not have any battery life specs up online so I called technical support and asked them what it was. And of course I had to call 3 times and got cut off once and transferred to a dead line the second time. But the 3rd time was the charm. I talked to a guy that seemed to know a lot about the Dell version and he said that with the standard battery you should get 4.5 to 5 hours. I had a Dell and that would be an act of God if that happened on it. But he said that you could add an hour with the upgraded battery. So if Dell is looking at "4.5 to 5 hours" probably "3.5 to 4 hours" then we should get at least 5 and ours will have a slightly better battery. And the battery power management abilities of Apple are far better than the MS ones.

Optimism: I bet he was giving times including the MS power glitch, too....

On second thought, maybe not. Can't hurt to be hopeful...

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I hope you can turn the brightness down a fair bit, because my iMac is SO BRIGHT. At night, I need to turn the light on in the room or my eyes really hurt, and this is on the very lowest brightness setting. I think even next to a window it would still be bright. It's a waste of electricity, imo. :(

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
epepper9 said:
I hope you can turn the brightness down a fair bit, because my iMac is SO BRIGHT. At night, I need to turn the light on in the room or my eyes really hurt, and this is on the very lowest brightness setting. I think even next to a window it would still be bright. It's a waste of electricity, imo. :(

IMO, bright is good for a laptop, to a certain degree (power-wise), since sometimes I'll be outside and I'll want that extra brightness. After all, I can always close it.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
asherman13 said:
IMO, bright is good for a laptop, to a certain degree (power-wise), since sometimes I'll be outside and I'll want that extra brightness. After all, I can always close it.

Bright is good for a desktop too, but not when the /minimum/ brightness setting is "Oh god, my eyes!" in dark rooms. The iMac G5s even have an ambient light sensor in the Rev Bs and Cs, but they don't even use it for the /screen/, they use it for the snore light. Whiskey... Tango... Foxtrot...

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Krevnik said:
Bright is good for a desktop too, but not when the /minimum/ brightness setting is "Oh god, my eyes!" in dark rooms. The iMac G5s even have an ambient light sensor in the Rev Bs and Cs, but they don't even use it for the /screen/, they use it for the snore light. Whiskey... Tango... Foxtrot...

That's a good point; I didn't know that the iMacs were that bright. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot indeed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.