Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kb2003

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2003
New York City
Re: fonts.

Originally posted by jihad the movie
I don't know if anybody here besides me uses http://www.friendster.com at all, but I, and most of my friends do. This site uses a standard font... before, Safari was cool with the fonts on this site, now, all of a sudden, half the fonts are 16 and the rest are 9 and blurred together. the only way to change this is to magnify the page, which makes using the website so much more difficult to use.

I've been having the font problem on Friendster.com also, as well as a few other sites where the font size is reduced such that font smoothing doesn't apply. Even for most regular sites I have to enlarge the text, so I had to change my perfect default Arial 12 to Arial 14 and it's just so big and gaudy now. Anybody have any idea what's up?

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by Abdesai
The full version of Safari is not working properly on my comupter. I cannot connect to macrumors.com or cnn.com. I couldn't connect to Apple's "Hot News" with any version of Safari. I have an iMac DV 400 running 10.2.6. Does anyone else have this problem?

EXACTLY!!!!! what do we do???

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Originally posted by prewwii
No Safari version yet has been able to run animation on Weather.com. Safari is the only browser I have that can not perform this task.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

The first time I used the latest release of Safari it crashed my whole system. Has any one else had that experience?

the 'gold' version is a major step backwards for me. A lot of sites have safari crashing now, esp. if a java applet is on it. it's also a great deal slower on some sites, grafics won't load quite often. very very bugeous - the previous version was much more stable, even if some things didn't quite work as they should.

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
Originally posted by visor
the 'gold' version is a major step backwards for me. A lot of sites have safari crashing now, esp. if a java applet is on it. it's also a great deal slower on some sites, grafics won't load quite often. very very bugeous - the previous version was much more stable, even if some things didn't quite work as they should.

Is there a specific place on weather.com that you're getting an error? I'm going to as many pages I can and am not getting any errors whatsoever. Cnn works here too.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: Safari Issues

Originally posted by Abdesai
I followed the instruction on the MacFixit site. It still doesn't work right. I am using camino to write this post because Safari won't load MacRumors.

Okay then my next step would be to do a search for safari and delete all the results relating to the browser. Then reinstall safari run a permissions repair and try it.

bcsimac

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
Bolivar, TN
Safari 1.0 works for the most part for me!

Safari 1.0 works fine for me most of the time. It still has problems with Java on some web sites. Empty Cache crashed it so I now delete cache manually which seems to work ok. I basically stick to using Netscape 7 for Java on must sites that use Java a lot. I did do a file permissions repair as I always do after every update and program installation. I find that prevents a lot of problems. Safari is definitely fast and for the most part I like it.

Most of my banking sites work ok except for Compass Bank which worked fine with v.64 and v.74. I can get Compass Bank to work by choosing Windows MS IE 6.0 as the UserAgent. I can do that because I have Safari Enhancer installed.

I will keep IE for a while though for some specific sites. I have all the browsers available for Mac OS X installed anyway and use them all from time to time so it really doesn't matter. I am also using Mozilla Firebird a lot too. I think though that IE will be used a lot less than it was used before.

I just wish I could get my sweetie to use Safari. She keeps insisting on using IE because she says everything works with IE and because it is standard. I know she doesn't understand because her attitude is as long as it works and I know what it is for who cares. She used Macs in school, but they all used IE as their browser. Her mom's computer is a Dell or Gateway so it obviously uses IE.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
The best thing about Safari 1.0 is that when I chose 'Check Spelling as you Type' it stays on even after you restart the computer.

On a side note it has crashed a couple times on me so it isn't as stable as the beta builds. That's kind of funny actually. All in all it still works a thousand times better then IE. I like Camino also but I just like the Safari interface better personally.

MacNab

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2003
animated gifs don't display properly

Originally posted by Mineral
I love Apple, but Safari sucks.

Inline frames still don't show up properly, animated gifs don't display properly... I mean, come on.. how ****ing hard is that?

Did you report the animated gifs issue - tiling background gifs do not animate and if you repeat a gif animation on the page only one animates

I posted about it at apple discussions - phew - not a popular request
http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@214.VdXvae0acEO.4@.5997ffdf/28

I do not know if it is a bug or if it is intentional but it frustrates me -
I just wish apple would say which it is

MacNab

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2003
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.