Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Hi,

Like an idiot I thought I'd try switching user agents as I was messing around with iPhone optimising a few web pages.

So I saw in Safari 4.0.4 on my iMac, the Develop menu, where I changed the user agent to "iPhone xxx"...

m.png

I then switched back to auto detecting user agent...

Ever since then, the google.co.uk page has screwed up, as it always loads in mobile view, and not the classic view it used to :(

This is what I always get now whenever I visit google.co.uk:

m.png

When I click on the "Classic View" link, I get this page, which displays correctly:

m.png

Notice the extra text in the URL... which i shouldn't have to put that everytime!

Strangely google.com loads up fine:

m.png

I have deleted all cookies associated with "google" and also rebooted my iMac, but still google.co.uk defaults to the classic view :(

Damn you User Agent switcher!!

I tried forcing the User Agent to Safari 4.0.4, but it didn't make any difference as it still loads in mobile view!

Here are the cookies I have now which relate to google:

o.png

Any advice on how this can be resolved would be really appreciated, as it's very annoying :-/

Thank you

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
reinstall safari

i downloaded the safari4 dmg from the apple site and re-installed and rebooted but this didnt work...

i didnt however uninstall safari4 beforehand... not sre if it was safe just to drop safari.app into the trash

A simple reset Safari should suffice. No need to completely reinstall.

YAY!!! this has done the trick!!! i didnt even know this existed :)

THANK YOU :)

mwakerman

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2010
Easier Fix

I had the exact same problem with google.com.au after I switched the User Agent when testing a website. Resetting Safari didn't fix it however deleting the safari plist files [com.apple.safari] in /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences fixed the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.