Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
At least on lion, the following works to re-enable this:

defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2BackspaceKeyNavigationEnabled -bool YES

( yes, the key really starts with com.apple.Safari. Go figure )

To undo, replace YES with NO.

Thanks so much for this Terminal command. It works in Mountain Lion :)

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Have you guys noticed these other changes...

1. View Source Code
2. Activity Window

both missing??? This Safari 6 is turning out to be more painful for me! Ugh! Apple, why are you screwing around with things so much???

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Have you guys noticed these other changes...

1. View Source Code
2. Activity Window

both missing??? This Safari 6 is turning out to be more painful for me! Ugh! Apple, why are you screwing around with things so much???
I'm guessing View Source was moved into the (hidden by default) Developer menu. As for the Activity Window, that's no longer needed as the Resource Viewer does all the things the Activity Window used to, and more. This is also hidden away in Safari's developer tools.

mschirrmeister

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
I hated it. Consider this situation:

You are filling an enormous web form (government agency, etc.) after a few steps, you are filling the last fields. You notice an error and hit delete, but the cursor is already out of the input box... What happens? The browsers goes back, which invalidates your whole session, and you need to start again.

It's a horrible, horrible feature.

Yeah, no ****.
If you hit backspace/delete without selecting the area where you want to delete something, it's the person own fault.
Second, the cursor normally never goes out by itself from such a text input field on a website.

I'm wondering what people, who deleted something by "accident" by going a page back, do in a text editor or word style app if they spot an error.
They just hit delete and hope the cursor is at the right place? Right....

Backspace was the best thing to browse fast. You move the mouse and click around with your right hand and the left one is over the keyboard for switching back very fast.
Yes there are other ways, but this key was for sure the most efficient way to work.

Lundberg02

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
Terminal command shown above does not work

The Terminal command phrase given above does not fix the Back triangle in the Safari 6 toolbar in Mountain Lion.

MaiveShadowsong

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Savannah, GA
delete

I am taking classes online where I have to pretty much write papers in a forum, all I have is text edit on my laptop so half the time I just use the forum box... Forgetting that if I hit backspace on accident when the box is not selected my paper vanishes...

Just because something has been a certain way for years, doesn't mean that something new isn't better. Maybe gestures isn't the new best thing, but I hate the delete button making the page go back and I assure you I am no moron... just a little absent minded sometimes :)

I can't get the Terminal code to work for me, but maybe I did something wrong? I just copy and pasted it, then put NO where the YES was...

cordwainer

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
But how do I get Backspace to delete TEXT again?

Ever since the change, my backspace key no longer works even in TEXT boxes. There's nothing more annoying than having to put the cursor before the letter I need to delete, then use Fn-Backspace to remove it.

Worse: Even using one of the various suggestions to restore the Browser Back functionality, the backspace STILL doesn't work in text fields.

And i mean: doesn't work at all. Won't move backward, period.

It's one thing to remove - stupidly - a command key that exists and has existed on every browser since they were first available. It's another to screw up basic text editing as a result.

Any ideas, anyone? HELP!

ericmc2

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Wow, I noticed this as well, and thought it was some type of preferences issue. I only now bothered to look it up, but I am amazed by the number of posters that either said they were unaware of this feature, or thought it was bothersome. I can not begin to explain to you how subconscious the action of using backspace/delete as a "go back" command is for me. I assumed that everyone did this. I am going to try the workaround "dylanryan" mentioned and hope it works.

defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2BackspaceKeyNavigationEnabled -bool YES​

For those of you that are keeping score, I agree that disabling a common browser feature (that has existed since the dawn of the browser) is pretty silly. Not sure what the "gesture" for this action is, but it is not the point. Why should I have to learn a new "gesture"? Isn't this supposed to be the intuitive platform?
Also, for those of you that associate this as a "Windows" keystroke, I wouldn't know. I have been a Mac user all my life, going back to OS system 4 in the mid-80s. Any KB shortcuts I have picked up along the way have all been Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.