Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpc86r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
I am having trouble viewing certain websites, in particular my Lotus Notes company email, on my new iPad. I cannot see all my folders and in general, have a difficult time doing a number of things on several other web sites.

I thought it might have been the Safari web browser. I attempted to download Firefox with the hope that it's formatting might allow me to see what I typically do on my company PC.

Three questions:

1 - Will Firefox or any other webs browser allow me to see most web sites like I typically do on my work PC?

2 - Is there a setting on my iPad or within Safari that might accomplish the same goal?

3 - Any idea why my iPad doesn't allow me to download Firefox..."Safari cannot download this file?"

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Really? You're going to firefox.com and trying to download and install Firefox on your iPad? You're not aware that you can only install apps from the App Store (and BTW Firefox is not one of them)? Do you even have a basic understanding of what the iPad can and cannot do?

If you're serious, go to the App store and download Atomic Web Browser. It can fake various user agents and might give you more luck viewing "most web sites like I typically do on my work PC".

However, if your definition of "most websites" includes crappy Flash websites and woefully behind the times sites optimized for Internet Explorer 6, you bought the wrong device. Return it ASAP.

I smell a troll. Lotus Notes? Do companies still use that?

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I am having trouble viewing certain websites, in particular my Lotus Notes company email, on my new iPad. I cannot see all my folders and in general, have a difficult time doing a number of things on several other web sites.

I thought it might have been the Safari web browser. I attempted to download Firefox with the hope that it's formatting might allow me to see what I typically do on my company PC.

Three questions:

1 - Will Firefox or any other webs browser allow me to see most web sites like I typically do on my work PC?

2 - Is there a setting on my iPad or within Safari that might accomplish the same goal?

3 - Any idea why my iPad doesn't allow me to download Firefox..."Safari cannot download this file?"

Not sure if you're being serious but..

1 - Firefox is not available on the iPad but you could try one of the other browsers which are available on the App Store

2 - You could try cleaning the Cache etc in the Safari Settings

3 - You can't download files with the iPad web browser. Even if you could you wouldn't be able to install what you download it's an iPad not a PC.

Chefaruni

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
Dick

Really? You're going to firefox.com and trying to download and install Firefox on your iPad? You're not aware that you can only install apps from the App Store (and BTW Firefox is not one of them)? Do you even have a basic understanding of what the iPad can and cannot do?

If you're serious, go to the App store and download Atomic Web Browser. It can fake various user agents and might give you more luck viewing "most web sites like I typically do on my work PC".

However, if your definition of "most websites" includes crappy Flash websites and woefully behind the times sites optimized for Internet Explorer 6, you bought the wrong device. Return it ASAP.

I smell a troll. Lotus Notes? Do companies still use that?
Don't be a ******** Titan. Not everyone is an iPad geek like you!

Tedmw

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Darth.titan

This is my first and probably last post on this site. I was looking for info on the iPads inablity to display certain types of files. I stumbled across Darth.titans insulting response to a valid user question. Darth - you need to grow up. As an IT support, SAP. Support/programmer, I can tell you that you don't make yourself look smart or important by insulting people. I suspect that you don't do very well in the normal work environment. If this is how this forum operates, you can keep it.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
This is my first and probably last post on this site. I was looking for info on the iPads inablity to display certain types of files. I stumbled across Darth.titans insulting response to a valid user question. Darth - you need to grow up. As an IT support, SAP. Support/programmer, I can tell you that you don't make yourself look smart or important by insulting people. I suspect that you don't do very well in the normal work environment. If this is how this forum operates, you can keep it.

It wasn't that rude compared to many posts. Given that the user asking the question was new and had just one post and, to be fair, the questions asked were extremely elementary, it's as likely as not that he was a forum 'troll.' As a self-professed IT professional I'm sure you understand what a troll is and the importance of not feeding them.

Most Internet forums operate the same way. Many are much worse.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Obviously a troll, safari does not give a "cannot download this file" error.

5b52e81587dd867ac2bf8bd6180d27c6.jpg

bobgrif

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Geeks

I think that comment on your now year and a half ago comment was correct. You do need to make allowances for what others have not yet learned, just like your teacher made allowances for you! She did not deride you inability to grasp what she told you instantly. I'm 80, my 54 year old son is a geek but he pointed out that if computers disappeared, people like me (and him, as it happens) are old enough to be able to re-adjust with no trouble but younger geeks would be dead, not having a clue about how to live without such devices.
I would suggest that most programs being written by youngsters have no concept of what people do not necessarily know!

mcvane

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
My, what big teeth you have

I've re-posted to this thread 9 months after it was last read, to note the arrogance of people like you Titan.

As an IT support professional, you should always try to answer users with dignity and respect - it was a totally legit question - why would Safari prevent you from downloading and SAVING an item to your iPhone/iPad? I am forced to now support these overpriced phones, and in trying to do so, tried to install applications like I would on my useful personal Android phone/tablet and PC.

However, because of it's restrictive, proprietary and cumbersome ways, I can't really do anything that I consider flexible or 'open'. Because I'm so dumb when it comes to being anything 'Apple' and because iXXXXXX users are supreme beings of the universe, please enlighten me as to what I can do to simply click on a LINK TO A FILE on a web page and how Safari or any other browser such as Opera on the iPhone can save that file to the device.

In my conclusions, this cannot be done, because the iPhone/iPad force you to download an 'app' to save anything to the phone itself.

Provide me with some insight, or this iPhone is going to be pounded by my iHammer and thrown in the iGarbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.