Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshseibert

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
I noticed that when going back/forward that the page loads and then a second later it desaturates slightly. At first I thought I was just losing my mind, but I was able to recreate it. I'm using a 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and running Sierra.

Here you can see a page looking desaturated on the left and what it looks like on the right before it fully loads.

Safari-Color.jpg

Then, I tested out a fully loaded page in both Safari and Chrome and noticed an even larger difference in saturation:

Safari-Chrome-Color.jpg

Is there a silly explanation for this? I'm just curious!

Thanks! And sorry if this has already been answered somewhere—I did some searching but couldn't find a topic about this.

Last edited:

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Safari is color managed, it means it reads the images color profile (and assume every untagged image or color is in sRGB) and than transforms the color so you will see almost the same color as in another monitor.
This is needed because each monitor shows colours in a different way, without color correction the same color value (for example 122,33,43) would map to a different color on different monitors, the difference is even bigger if you have a wide gamut monitor, like the one on the new MacBooks.

Chrome probably goes "YOLO" and display whatever it wants without any correction, or corrects only image colors and not css colors.

The Safari issue when going back is probably because Safari shows you a jpeg of the page when going back before the full page is loaded, and maybe they screwed the color profile of that image.
[doublepost=1482564297][/doublepost]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_management

joshseibert

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
Safari is color managed, it means it reads the images color profile (and assume every untagged image or color is in sRGB) and than transforms the color so you will see almost the same color as in another monitor.
This is needed because each monitor shows colours in a different way, without color correction the same color value (for example 122,33,43) would map to a different color on different monitors, the difference is even bigger if you have a wide gamut monitor, like the one on the new MacBooks.

Chrome probably goes "YOLO" and display whatever it wants without any correction, or corrects only image colors and not css colors.

The Safari issue when going back is probably because Safari shows you a jpeg of the page when going back before the full page is loaded, and maybe they screwed the color profile of that image.
[doublepost=1482564297][/doublepost]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_management

Thank you for your help. This totally makes sense now!

gordi

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2017

Does Safari color correct streaming video in adobe flash player?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.