Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duffah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Hi all!

This my first time here, please be gentle!

My Mum has an iBook G4.

Safari crashes after loading 1 or 2 pages. It's running 10.3.9. Is the answer to just upgrade to Leopard? Is that even possible? Is it true that Snow Leopard is not possible to install on PowerPC macs?

Sorry for so many questions! Really, she'll be happy if she can just get Safari working.

Apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it, feel free to direct me to it if you know where it is.

Doof.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hi all!

This my first time here, please be gentle!

My Mum has an iBook G4.

Safari crashes after loading 1 or 2 pages. It's running 10.3.9. Is the answer to just upgrade to Leopard?
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger might be the better choice, depending on what specific iBook you have:
MR_identify_your_Mac_short.png

Identify your Mac and Mac OS X version, visualised in a more elaborate image
Identify your Mac and Mac OS X version using this 25 second video tutorial (3MB, .mp4, H.264)

Is that even possible?
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is possible, but might be a bit slow with 1GHz and 512MB RAM.

Is it true that Snow Leopard is not possible to install on PowerPC macs?
Yes.

PS: Check the Console for hints.

Duffah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Thanks for the advice.

I don't actually get "model identifier", I get "Machine Model", which says "iBook G4". :rolleyes:

I knew that, it says it below the screen!

Anyhow, it's actually a 1.2ghz machine, but with only 256mb RAM.

Console says 'Can't create semaphore lock'. Which means nothing to me.

I can post the whole log, or even the error that it invites me to send to Apple?

Thanks again for the assistance.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
Thanks for the advice.

I don't actually get "model identifier", I get "Machine Model", which says "iBook G4". :rolleyes:

I knew that, it says it below the screen!

Anyhow, it's actually a 1.2ghz machine, but with only 256mb RAM.

Console says 'Can't create semaphore lock'. Which means nothing to me.

I can post the whole log, or even the error that it invites me to send to Apple?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Put 768MB+ Ram in your ibook and install Leopard. Leopard runs fine on my 12" 1.5 Ghz Powerbook g4 with only 768mb Ram. Leopard even runs good on a 733mhz quicksilver :)

Duffah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Ok cool, will recommend that to my Mum, cheers.

Any ideas on the Safari problem in the interim?

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
A friend of mine is having a similar problem, especially if she uses Google. It appears, if I understand this correctly, that Google has recently changed their implementation of Javascript. Apparently, if you go to safari preferences/security and deselect the Javascript option, the problem goes away. It will, however, make things look a little peculiar on some web pages, and you lose access to Google maps.

An earlier version of Firefox, such as the one available here, might help.

I've ordered additional ram for my friend's computer, and I'm going to install Leopard on it when the ram arrives.

Duffah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Fantastic! That worked a treat.

Turned off Javascript, got the old version of Firefox, installed it, turned back on Javascript (in firefox as had imported settings from Safari) and now she has Google working fine. Even Maps.

Obviously Safari is still f*@ked, but it'll work fine till I upgrade the RAM and install Leopard.

Thanks all!

:):):):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.