Safari Customization Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dailyrorschach, May 24, 2006.

1. dailyrorschach macrumors newbie

May 24, 2006
    Alright, so today I got my new MacBook, no problems, smooth sailing. I was a big fan of firefox in windows, but after installing it, it reared it's ugly head as a resource hog. So I'm making a committment to try safari out in earnest.

However, I was hoping to find out if there were some customizations this community knew about to make it more enjoyable for me.

1. I was able to set it so that links from outside applications will open into a new tab in my current window. However, I also want new windows in safari to instead open into a new tab as well.

2. Is there a plugin or something to block and filter out ads, crappy flash ads, etc, etc. Similiar to adblock plus and filterset g for those familiar with firefox.

2. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2004
  3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Saft (tab management) and PithHelmet (ad blocking) will work wonders for you... that is if a universal version is available yet...
  4. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2004
    They are both universal.
  5. dailyrorschach thread starter macrumors newbie

May 24, 2006
    Also, is there a way to selectivley block pop-ups, for example some sites like my university's webmail need pop-ups, but there has to be a better way then checking and unchecking that menu item.
  6. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2004
    pithhelmet gives you numerous options and allows you to create certain rules for each site/server, just go under 'rule editor'
  7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Guess I'll ask in this thread...

I was just in an Apple store, and I noticed Safari had a grey border on the bottom edge of any open window, but it doesn't on mine. How/why is it there? I liked the way it looked.
  8. pablofmichel macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2006
    eh... do you mean the status bar^^?
    just go to View (right inbetween Edit and History) and the check Show Status Bar (( Command[Apple]+/ ))
  9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Don't get me wrong, but I love Safari and it's my browser of choice. I like Safari on the Mac much better than Firefox on Mac or Windows. That said, Camino is easily my second choice. It uses Firefox's rendering engine, but I find it to be much faster, and it's a real Mac application instead of a half-Mac feeling app like Firefox is. It's Universal and free, so certainly worth a try. You can get it at I use Safari 95% of the time, but Camino still sits in my dock right next to Safari.
  10. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Internet Explorer is by far the best.

...awaiting patiently for thrown stones.
  11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    By far the best what? ;)
  12. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    the best at being the worst.