Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dailyrorschach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2006
Alright, so today I got my new MacBook, no problems, smooth sailing. I was a big fan of firefox in windows, but after installing it, it reared it's ugly head as a resource hog. So I'm making a committment to try safari out in earnest.

However, I was hoping to find out if there were some customizations this community knew about to make it more enjoyable for me.

1. I was able to set it so that links from outside applications will open into a new tab in my current window. However, I also want new windows in safari to instead open into a new tab as well.

2. Is there a plugin or something to block and filter out ads, crappy flash ads, etc, etc. Similiar to adblock plus and filterset g for those familiar with firefox.

Thanks

dailyrorschach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2006
Also, is there a way to selectivley block pop-ups, for example some sites like my university's webmail need pop-ups, but there has to be a better way then checking and unchecking that menu item.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
pithhelmet gives you numerous options and allows you to create certain rules for each site/server, just go under 'rule editor'

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Guess I'll ask in this thread...

I was just in an Apple store, and I noticed Safari had a grey border on the bottom edge of any open window, but it doesn't on mine. How/why is it there? I liked the way it looked.

pablofmichel

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
eh... do you mean the status bar^^?
just go to View (right inbetween Edit and History) and the check Show Status Bar (( Command[Apple]+/ ))

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Don't get me wrong, but I love Safari and it's my browser of choice. I like Safari on the Mac much better than Firefox on Mac or Windows. That said, Camino is easily my second choice. It uses Firefox's rendering engine, but I find it to be much faster, and it's a real Mac application instead of a half-Mac feeling app like Firefox is. It's Universal and free, so certainly worth a try. You can get it at http://www.caminobrowser.org. I use Safari 95% of the time, but Camino still sits in my dock right next to Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.