Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
I'm probably using "cache" incorrectly. But here's my question.

Let's say I open up an article on Safari, to read later. Then, say I'm in an area with no cell coverage.

When i open up Safari, I expect the article to be there. After all, it already loaded up and fully displayed. Why would it go away?

Well, for some reason Safari takes it upon itself to refresh the page. Since I have no cell coverage, it just disappears. Why doesn't it just keep the page that was in the cache????

I've looked through every setting I could find, and could not find a way from stopping Safari from doing this. Is this something I can change? Or am I stuck?

Thanks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's stored in RAM which after a while gets used by other applications and system services. So if you just used it it's likely still going to be there, but if you used it earlier and then used some other apps or did some other things with the phone then likely it's no longer stored (cached) and that's why it refreshes to get the data again.

Reactions: Rantipole

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
Try adding the page to the reading list so you can read it offline later.
Huh. Never thought of using reading list. I'll give that a whirl next time.

Thanks for the explanation, C DM.

EDIT: Reading list is no different.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.