Safari slows way down, once a day

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mpowerbook182, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Mpowerbook182 macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2004
    It seems like every day this happens. I will be using Safari and everything will be fine, then when I click on the next thing i want to do or see, the hard drive will start thinking, and it will take about 10 to 20 min, for Safari to go to the site i wanted to see, i usally just force quit Safari, and once i start it up again it's fine (well for about 24 hours). If any one has any ideas on what is causing this that would be great. (I have run mac janitor and disk utlility but they have not resolved anything). Thanks for your help
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i've had Safari slow down a few times, but 10-20 minutes?! :eek:

and when i've had slowdown, i've had about 10-15 tabs open. :eek: how many do you have?

could be that Safari has to acess the cache, and with so many tabs open - that could slow it down. that's my guess... also, i have a tendancy not to reboot for a while... which i'm sure wounldn't help. :p
  3. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    Some kinds if internet go down or slow down for several minuter a day do to the way the satelites are placed around the earth. The signals get blocked regularly.
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    But this shouldn't cause beach-balling, should it? I wonder if this might be a corrupted preference kind of issue? Maybe copy your preference files into another folder and then trash them and run Safari again?

And are you pretty sure it doesn't crash on specific sites? I have had this behavior from certain *grumbles* java applets....
  5. Mpowerbook182 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2004
  6. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    I have never had Safari slow down on me. :confused: or maybe I am one of the luck few. :)

It all depends on if the site you are visiting is w3 compliant, bandwidth issues, network traffic, system load, etc....

You cannot just come to the conclusion that Safari is sloooooooooow. IE i can understand if you are one of the sad few who use it if you told me that was slooooooooooooow. :)
  7. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    Stuff like this happens to me at "prime time" online - when most of the dumb teenagers (I'm a teenager, and I'm not a dumb, I'm talking about the lyk wtf yo pplz wif no lyfz who ct tyep) are online.
  8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I had a similar problem, but not quite the same. Safari would work for a while, then die, more often by crashing than by the beachball of death.

I eventually found the problem: bad RAM! One of my third party memory DIMMS was bad, and once Safari had accumulated enough memory or it came to a particularly complicated page rendering task, it ran into that part of my RAM.

I kept blaming Safari when it was actually a hardware problem. Sorry Safari!

Bad RAM may not be your problem, but running the Apple Hardware Test CD on your system might assure you about this.