Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mpowerbook182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
It seems like every day this happens. I will be using Safari and everything will be fine, then when I click on the next thing i want to do or see, the hard drive will start thinking, and it will take about 10 to 20 min, for Safari to go to the site i wanted to see, i usally just force quit Safari, and once i start it up again it's fine (well for about 24 hours). If any one has any ideas on what is causing this that would be great. (I have run mac janitor and disk utlility but they have not resolved anything). Thanks for your help

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i've had Safari slow down a few times, but 10-20 minutes?! :eek:

and when i've had slowdown, i've had about 10-15 tabs open. :eek: how many do you have?

could be that Safari has to acess the cache, and with so many tabs open - that could slow it down. that's my guess... also, i have a tendancy not to reboot for a while... which i'm sure wounldn't help. :p

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
Some kinds if internet go down or slow down for several minuter a day do to the way the satelites are placed around the earth. The signals get blocked regularly.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
phreakout13 said:
Some kinds if internet go down or slow down for several minuter a day do to the way the satelites are placed around the earth. The signals get blocked regularly.

But this shouldn't cause beach-balling, should it? I wonder if this might be a corrupted preference kind of issue? Maybe copy your preference files into another folder and then trash them and run Safari again?

And are you pretty sure it doesn't crash on specific sites? I have had this behavior from certain *grumbles* java applets....

Mpowerbook182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
And are you pretty sure it doesn't crash on specific sites? I have had this behavior from certain *grumbles* java applets....[/QUOTE said:
Now that i think about it, it seems to happen when i vist ebay.

I cleared my history, my Cache is now empty, and even though i have had 3-5 tabs open all day its has not slowed down, but i also have not looked at ebay, which now I am afraid is the cause of this. I don't think its the internet it self, because i don't think that would cause the hard drive to think for like 10 min or cause constant beach-balling. (this all occurs on my powerbook, the emac seems to be just fine :cool: ) Thanks for all the help

Mpowerbook

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
I have never had Safari slow down on me. :confused: or maybe I am one of the luck few. :)

It all depends on if the site you are visiting is w3 compliant, bandwidth issues, network traffic, system load, etc....

You cannot just come to the conclusion that Safari is sloooooooooow. IE i can understand if you are one of the sad few who use it if you told me that was slooooooooooooow. :)

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
phreakout13 said:

Stuff like this happens to me at "prime time" online - when most of the dumb teenagers (I'm a teenager, and I'm not a dumb, I'm talking about the lyk wtf yo pplz wif no lyfz who ct tyep) are online.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I had a similar problem, but not quite the same. Safari would work for a while, then die, more often by crashing than by the beachball of death.

I eventually found the problem: bad RAM! One of my third party memory DIMMS was bad, and once Safari had accumulated enough memory or it came to a particularly complicated page rendering task, it ran into that part of my RAM.

I kept blaming Safari when it was actually a hardware problem. Sorry Safari!

Bad RAM may not be your problem, but running the Apple Hardware Test CD on your system might assure you about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.