Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iomar

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, you can do that very easy. Click on Safari menu on top or your borwser. When the window opens click the first icone (tab) and at the bottom of that window select the option open links from Applications "in a new tab in the current window." That is all you have to do good luck!

Omar

djstarrock

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
UK, Scotland, Glasgow
That doesn't work it still opens tab in a new window and I don't want to press cmd every time to put in a new tab. Isn't there any plug-in that can do this.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
Yes, you can do that very easy. Click on Safari menu on top or your borwser. When the window opens click the first icone (tab) and at the bottom of that window select the option open links from Applications "in a new tab in the current window." That is all you have to do good luck!

Omar

i think that only works with OS X applications, not third-party apps, but i'm not positive. this might be the cause of the OPs problem, though.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I don't use it, but it's widely reported to have that feature... It may have a funny name, since it's written in Japlish. :D

It might say something about "_blank" opening in new tabs.

UserofMacOSX

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
Luray, VA
Go to Safari -> Preferences -> General -> Open links from applications -> in a new tab in current window.

Or go to Sarari -> Preferences -> Tabs -> enable all 3.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Go to Safari -> Preferences -> General -> Open links from applications -> in a new tab in current window.

Or go to Sarari -> Preferences -> Tabs -> enable all 3.

I don't think you read what the OP is asking for at all.... :rolleyes:™

What the OP is asking for is analogous to the feature in Firefox that "forces" links that open in a new window to open in new tabs in the current window. There is no analogous built-in option in Safari. But SAFT and SafariStand should both be able to add this feature. This has been discussed a thousand times on MR....

Retired
May 16, 2006
Click 'SafariStand' settings at the bottom of the stand option at the top of the safari menubar, click this box...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 59

UserofMacOSX

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
Luray, VA
I don't think you read what the OP is asking for at all.... :rolleyes:™

What the OP is asking for is analogous to the feature in Firefox that "forces" links that open in a new window to open in new tabs in the current window. There is no analogous built-in option in Safari. But SAFT and SafariStand should both be able to add this feature. This has been discussed a thousand times on MR....

I read it, and that is how I have mine set. It opens all links in a new tab.:rolleyes:

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I have Saft installed and it does exactly what the OP wants. I always had the same problem of some links opening a new window when I wanted everything to be a new link. Give Saft a try, it works great for me.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I read it, and that is how I have mine set. It opens all links in a new tab.:rolleyes:

I don't think so... if you're getting that in Safari, you're either doing something beyond what you listed or you are not clicking on the kind of link the OP is talking about.

Go to this page, for instance:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/257758/

Single left click on the "Macscoop..." link at the beginning of the first post.

In Safari, with the options you described and no plugins or extensions installed, this results in the document being opened in a new window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.