Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reversearp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Hi all - I'm using a Macbook 7,1 running OS X 10.6.6 and Safari 5.0.3. Beginning yesterday, I receive this message from Sarari when it opens up and tries to load a page:

Safari can’t open the page “http://whatever” because Safari can’t connect to the web proxy server (HTTP). To change your proxy settings, open Safari Preferences, click Advanced, and then click Change Settings. For help with this problem, contact your system administrator.

The following is a screen shot of my system proxy settings:
Screen shot 2011-01-29 at 1.28.57 AM.png

Hopefully you can see that, and see that I have no proxy set. I never do at my home, since I have a cable connection that doesn't require one. I can obviously use Firefox, but this problem is preventing me from doing software updates, using iTunes, etc.

I do connect to a proxy at my job but have not until yesterday had a problem seamlessly going from my School "location" to my Home "location".

Today I tried uninstalling Safari and installing version 5.0.3. I get the exact same proxy message. What the heck does Safari want from me??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.