Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
When I was a lurker last year, I remember that there were quite a few topics on the... questionable quality of the CD units. Now that I'm in the market for a notebook, I have taken note of Apple selling refurb 17'' MBPs for only $1999 on the refurb store. I must say, it is a great deal, especially for a computer that went for $2799 up until late last year. The only thing bugging me is the fact that it is a CD unit. Is it safe to buy one, or will I have to be paranoid about it's condition until I stop using it?

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
When I was a lurker last year, I remember that there were quite a few topics on the... questionable quality of the CD units. Now that I'm in the market for a notebook, I have taken note of Apple selling refurb 17'' MBPs for only $1999 on the refurb store. I must say, it is a great deal, especially for a computer that went for $2799 up until late last year. The only thing bugging me is the fact that it is a CD unit. Is it safe to buy one, or will I have to be paranoid about it's condition until I stop using it?

I would imagine that since it's a refurb it would be like buying a new CD machine today. Most, if not all, the kinks with those machines were worked out by the time they made the switch to C2D. Plus, it comes with all the warranty and guarantees that new machines come with, so I'd think it's low risk; sounds like a great deal to me.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Well, it's either this or the bottom end C2D MBP... which do you think would perform better? I might actually wait until the new MBPs are released to see the prices drop on the C2D MBPs... good idea, or not?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Well, it's either this or the bottom end C2D MBP... which do you think would perform better? I might actually wait until the new MBPs are released to see the prices drop on the C2D MBPs... good idea, or not?

That's my plan. To wait for the next revision MBP, then wait for the refurbs of that model to come out and buy the an older C2D model.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Depends if you really need or will soon need 64-bit capabilities. If not, go for it. Great machine.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Actually, I did have another question. In regards to the ExpressCard slot, It have been looking for things that would be useful for it. My carrier right now is Cingular (iPhone...yay!:D ), and I have taken notice of a wireless expresscard that they will be releasing. Here is the link:

http://business.cingular.com/businesscenter/pciexpress/?_requestid=546127

Now, I'm not sure if I'm right about what is does, but does it let you go on the internet anywhere? I hope so, since that would be quite cool, but doesn't sound realistic.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Bah, just checked out the card again, and it isn't compatible with OS X.:mad:
Why do we have to live in a Microsoft world?:(

philmo

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2005
Is it just me, or are there no more refurbished MBPs listed on the (US) Apple Store? Is that ever a hint that an update is coming?

astarling06

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
Manhattan, KS
Go with the MBP CD. It will handle just about anything you need it to do. Plus, if there is a problem, you get the warranty of a new one plus you can add Applecare as well.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.