Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

almostaskater62

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
so i gather that the phone does not have to be running 3.1 for itunes to show the app management screens?

does anyone happen to have some blank icons (using iblank) installed? i was wondering how itunes would handle those...

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
so i gather that the phone does not have to be running 3.1 for itunes to show the app management screens?

does anyone happen to have some blank icons (using iblank) installed? i was wondering how itunes would handle those...

It has to be running 3.1 to show the iPhone part of the app arranging section, if it's not 3.1 it just shows you a box on the left of all the apps you have but you can't actually arrange them on itunes without having 3.1.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Tethering?

Can someone else test to see if iTunes 9 breaks the AT&T tethering hack, I kind of had some wacky results from a previous restore and have been using pdanet so i do not know if it is just me but AT&T tethering is NOT working for me.

Again this is iphone 3G 3.0.1 with iTunes 9

jason221

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Ok, I can now confirm that iTunes 9 will sync with an iPhone 3GS jailbroken via redsn0w on 3.0.1. The computer is an intel iMac running Snow Leopard. The app rearranging screen will not show up unless you update to iPhone 3.1.

I don't have the tether/MMS hack installed.

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
I upgraded, and it didnt mess with my iPhone. There are some new features in iTunes 9 thats pretty neat, and I think Im going to update to 3.1 now too. I will just jailbreak it when the software is available.

Edit: You can go into the view section of your Apps, and select Genre as a Grid View. So mine for example has some Genre's like: Business, Language, Games, Lifestyle, etc.

Aguila-Uno

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Jason221, is your iphone JB only or JB & unlocked? Has anyone tried this on a JB & unlocked iphone?

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
I live in Greece, and the iPhone I bought from Vodafone here is a factory unlocked phone, so I dont see an issue. Also, I didnt have an issue when I upgraded to 3.0.

Well some are even saying that upgrading to 3.1 may even prevent you from jailbreaking at all in the future! :-o

See the dev-team blog...

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
Well some are even saying that upgrading to 3.1 may even prevent you from jailbreaking at all in the future! :-o

See the dev-team blog...

Well all the blog says is that we might lose the unlock capability, which is a non-issue for me. And as much as I like my iPhone JB'd, Id rather be able to add new features to my iPhone with future updates.

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
I'm way happier with my JB phone then that "features" that apple put out today. I won't go to 3.1 until redsnOw is updated and it's confirmed that I won't lose my tethering and mms hacks.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I've upgraded to 9.0 with no problems. Everything works on my JB iPhone 3GS.

I would not upgrade to the iPhone 3.1 firmware until further notice from the Dev Team. They'll let us know soon enough, and a few days without the latest and greatest will be worth it if the alternative is not getting our JB/Unlock back, perhaps ever.

Well all the blog says is that we might lose the unlock capability, which is a non-issue for me. And as much as I like my iPhone JB'd, Id rather be able to add new features to my iPhone with future updates.

In my opinion, Jailbreaking gives you far more features than firmware 3.1 does. And nobody is saying you can't ever have 3.1; just that you should wait a few days or weeks until you get word from the Dev Team.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
No...you didnt listen. Its never safe to update without the dev team saying so.

I did listen. What I was saying that if it were hypothetically true that the update would cause us to never be able to jailbreak and/or unlock again, it would piss me off. I have no doubt that the dev team will be able to work around it in no time.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I'm on a JB 3GS. If I install iTunes 9, but DON'T upgrade to 3.1, will everything work the same way I was using it with my current iTunes? I currently put cracked apps into iTunes and sync them with my iPhone. Will that just stay the same? I just don't want any problems.

I downloaded iTunes 9 on my MBP, I have JB 3GS iPhone 3.0.1 FW, and will not update to 3.1 (b/c I don't want to lose MMS & Tethering), no problems at this point. I stay away from cracked apps and my iTunes 9 sync went just fine. Did a backup and everything, it's all good.....

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I downloaded iTunes 9 on my MBP, I have JB 3GS iPhone 3.0.1 FW, and will not update to 3.1 (b/c I don't want to lose MMS & Tethering), no problems at this point. I stay away from cracked apps and my iTunes 9 sync went just fine. Did a backup and everything, it's all good.....

I think it is the ability to jailbreak again with iTunes 9 is what everybody wants to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.