Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shin_dagger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
I'm needing to access my macbook pro (work computer) from home via chrome remote desktop. I'll need to make sure the MBP doesn't go to sleep so I can do this. Any ideas on a safe way to do this?? Unchecking "Put hard disk to sleep when possible"?

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2 on a 15 inch retina, mid 2014.

Many thanks!

Ace2617

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2016
You could download Mac app "Amphetamine" (link: View in Mac App Store) It sits in your menu bar on your Mac, and you can choose how long you need your Mac to stay awake. Or, if you don't want an app, follow the steps simonsi provided. That will work just as well.

shin_dagger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
Preferences/Energy Saver/Computer Sleep = Never (slider to the right), how unsafe is that?
A few issues:
- I don't have the "computer sleep" slider in my energy saver window. Only the " turn display off after" slider. Which leads me to my next issue.

- I wasn't having trouble figuring out how to put the computer to sleep. The only other option here was to uncheck "put hard disks to sleep when possible". It works, I'm remote logged in right now. But the original concern was if it's safe for the hard disk to never be asleep.

- is there any reason i shouldn't have that "computer sleep slider"? My macbook air (Yosemite 10.10.1) has it...

thanks!
[doublepost=1458191910][/doublepost]
Preferences/Energy Saver/Computer Sleep = Never (slider to the right), how unsafe is that?
a
You could download Mac app "Amphetamine" (link: View in Mac App Store) It sits in your menu bar on your Mac, and you can choose how long you need your Mac to stay awake. Or, if you don't want an app, follow the steps simonsi provided. That will work just as well.
see my reply to simonsi

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
No idea why that is, I have that slider on all machines I have back to Lion...

Not sure when, but my new 2015 machine lacks it too. And I don't think prevent computer going to sleep when display off works 100%, I think it does still disable some stuff when screen is off, as I notice IM's and such reconnecting when it comes back on often.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
But the original concern was if it's safe for the hard disk to never be asleep.

Oh, I didnt get that from how you phrased the question. I wouldnt worry about it, it may shorten the drives life by a few weeks if anything but you will never know.

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
On newer Macs, check the "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" and the machine will never sleep on its own. You need to keep it connected to power with the lid open, though.

On battery power or with the lid closed, there's no non-hacky way to prevent sleep.

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 5.11.15 PM.png

Ace2617

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2016
A few issues:
- I don't have the "computer sleep" slider in my energy saver window. Only the " turn display off after" slider. Which leads me to my next issue.

- I wasn't having trouble figuring out how to put the computer to sleep. The only other option here was to uncheck "put hard disks to sleep when possible". It works, I'm remote logged in right now. But the original concern was if it's safe for the hard disk to never be asleep.

- is there any reason i shouldn't have that "computer sleep slider"? My macbook air (Yosemite 10.10.1) has it...

thanks!
[doublepost=1458191910][/doublepost]
a

see my reply to simonsi

Oh sorry, I misunderstood your original post. I don't think there's any immediate danger to keeping it awake. It should be fine. I'm not sure why you wouldn't have the slider, that seems strange. My MacBook Air (Early '14) running El Cap 10.11.3 has it, similarly to yours.

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Mine is always awake, I have had no issues on any of them. I login remotely from work all the time too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.