Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
Sorry to be dense, but is the Samsung 256GB SSD the one in the MBPs & MBs? For some reason I thought they were Toshiba.

sascha h-k

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
vienna / austria
Very nice. Jeez even your 500GB 7200 drive is twice as fast as my stock 250GB 5400 drive lol.

That Samsung drive looks super fast though. The onboard catch probably made the biggest difference.

I would like to see this drive compared to the new OCZ Vertex SSD... that would sure be a head to head battle!

ocz vertex 256gb has 68mb cache
samsung 256gb has 128mb ...

J.Genius

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Man your xBench numbers are better than mine ;)

did you get your optibay yet?...i bought the cable on ebay for 20$...does the same thing.

if you havent ordered let me know ill send you the auction to get the cable and save a ton!

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
WOW, these numbers really blow the 5400 RPM drive away.

That Seagate 7200 RPM drive performed much better then I thought it would have, but its no comparison to the SSD.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Great numbers... I'd love to put two of these in with a sata optical drive converter and raid them...

Just think in a couple of years, these will probably be about the same prices as HDDs are today...

Mugs

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Walton-on-Thames, UK
hey guys, I dont really know much about ssd's but I'm thinking of buying a 15" MBP from the refurb store and I was thinking of putting an ssd in it. I need the shock protection and speed of it because I'm going away for along time. I was thinking of the 128GB size area because I can't afford the 256GB ssd's. Are there any ssd's at this capacity that are of a similar speed to the 256GB variants. Thanks a lot.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
Really nice results.
Is there a chance that someone could test it out with real applications to see the actual difference? It would be helpful to see the actual gain in real world use. :)))

Thanks

bajee

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
so basically this drive (samsung 256GB SSD) isn't available yet in local resellers? you can only get them on ebay? How much you'd guys pay?

And is it true that the MSRP is 500$ for these drives?

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Where did you get your drive from? Ijm hoping not to drop 1k on an ebay seller

EJ123

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
Is the Samsung the 256 GB SSD which Apple puts on the MBP 15?
Thanks
Eric

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
You guys can also get it on Dell's site. the Dell 256GB Performance SSD is the same as Sammy 256GB. Retail price is 750$.

Samsung will be releasing 64/128GB models but there's no release date on both of them yet.

Vertex drives are expected to get even faster seq write speed with new firmware updates that is coming out. Should be close to the Samsung speed.

Don't forget that OCZ will be releasing Summit drives which is based on Samsung MLC controller as well, no release date announced. Latest rumors is that it may be end of May.

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
You guys can also get it on Dell's site. the Dell 256GB Performance SSD is the same as Sammy 256GB. Retail price is 750$.

Samsung will be releasing 64/128GB models but there's no release date on both of them yet.

Vertex drives are expected to get even faster seq write speed with new firmware updates that is coming out. Should be close to the Samsung speed.

Don't forget that OCZ will be releasing Summit drives which is based on Samsung MLC controller as well, no release date announced. Latest rumors is that it may be end of May.

There are two on the Dell site...which one are you referring to? Also, what do you mean its the "same"...does that mean it is a Samsung? or its a dell hard drive?

poppap

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Great numbers... I'd love to put two of these in with a sata optical drive converter and raid them...

Just think in a couple of years, these will probably be about the same prices as HDDs are today...

My 2nd Samsung 256GB SSD from DELL is on the way...
I'll put that in the OptiBay and do the RAID0...

Too bad I'll have to ditch Bootcamp in the process :S
Well, I'll live with VM. I don't need Windows that much.

Will post the Xbench once it's up and running... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.