Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
63c63510-8887-11ed-befc-f2b74ee86419

So Samsung recently launched this 57" ultrawide, dual UHD (7680x2160) display. This particular model uses HDMI 2.0 (IIRC) on one port to enable this high resolution. It's on sale for $1,999 at Samsung's site (normally around $2,500).

I don't really care about its high refresh rates, as I'm looking at this strictly for productivity (design and audio/media work). I usually use dual 4K displays but I'm tired of having bezels in the middle.

What I'm curious about is what Macs can actually drive this thing. I'm pretty sure a Studio with M2 Max would work?

Also if I get this I'm definitely looking at a new custom desk...

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
One thing worth noting is you can't use any HiDPI settings at max resolution. Everything is forced to 100% scaling, so text is extremely small. The only HiDPI settings make everything massive. I ended up returning mine after a few days because it was to hard to read and use the UI for me. Others seem to think it's fine, but make sure you buy this somewhere that you can easily return to. I was on a M2 Max MBP, also tested with M3 Pro.

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
One thing worth noting is you can't use any HiDPI settings at max resolution. Everything is forced to 100% scaling, so text is extremely small. The only HiDPI settings make everything massive. I ended up returning mine after a few days because it was to hard to read and use the UI for me. Others seem to think it's fine, but make sure you buy this somewhere that you can easily return to. I was on a M2 Max MBP, also tested with M3 Pro.
oh really? So basically you can’t get any scaled resolutions at all? I wonder if that is a driver issue. Did you ask Apple or Samsung support about that?

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
oh really? So basically you can’t get any scaled resolutions at all? I wonder if that is a driver issue. Did you ask Apple or Samsung support about that?
You can get something like a scaled full hd. It is hidpi. I use it because native has to small ui elements for my 49 year eyes. It is not ideal but with some adjustments, workable.

FilthyMuppetInnuendo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
How often does it occur? As I said, never had the issue on Ventura and on Sonoma it happened a few time but not on a regular manner.
Once or twice every 15 minutes, every day, forever. It’s a damned nightmare. I want to say it’s a problem with the display hardware and not the Mac mini, but I have no idea.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I am sorry to hear that. I maintain my initial impression that this is most probably a software issues which will be sorted out at some point. Meanwhile, display port may be a worthy alternative to explore.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I’ve been using this monitor for a few weeks and connected it alternatively through hdmi and display port.
All in all hdmi 2.1 seems more convenient (more resolution options are available) and had no signal disruptions as @FilthyMuppetInnuendo has.
The one issue I have is the wake from sleep (very finicky no matter the connection type) which I circuverted by shutting down the monitor when not in use. Taking into account that this is my office setup (having many windows on screen is the reason for UWA) this workaround is tolerable.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
Hi,

I use BetterDisplay and have just one HiDpi mode listed: 3840x1080 10bit 120hz refresh using HDMI 2.1 port.

The screen looks nice also on the native resolution but you will have to adjust fonts and UI elements because those are tiny.

If need any additional input, just ask.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
@Silvestru Hosszu :

Yeah I hear you about PQ. I'm sure it looks great! On my 40" 5k/2k widescreen LG it's "fine" but definitely not spectacular.

My HiDPI resolution is 3840 x 1620. So I'd get the same-ish effective horizontal workspace, though spread across a larger physical dimension IRL, but only 2/3 the vertical space. Hmm.

Sorry to pester, but, if not too much trouble could you post a couple of photos with like Mail, Safari, Calendar open in say 3 columns? If too much trouble I totally get it though.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
So, I made two photos with the requested apps on 3 columns.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 07.20.24.jpeg

This one is scaled HiDPI

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 07.20.09.jpeg

And this is native resolution.
I can make fonts and UI elements much bigger so it is not an issue, but having a much worse eye sight than just a few years ago, I much prefer the first option.

And one more thing... At least when working with mail + documents (except excel files) I use at least 4 or even 5 columns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.