Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA

I'd pay $100 to have had extra ports built in the machine in the first place. Small is nice but if I have carry a bunch of adaptors to make things work it's not so nice.

FYI, that adaptor doesn't help with the mentioned Samsung drive and the power problem that you're responding to, there is still only one USB-C port available, you still have the charging issue. I guess you could try to use the USB 3 adaptor (speed impact?), but now you've got another connector to carry and I don't know that adaptor will support the SSD drive via USB (it says mouse and flash only).

Gary

Oppenheim

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2015
Surely the future is 1TB @ 500MB/sec on a nano USB stick? How about flush with the USB-C port? Simply pop it in, push it in again to release. Too much to ask for??!

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Looks good, and the fact it's alumninum construction should make it rugged. When will pricing be announced?

Isn't it odd to introduce a product and not mention the price?

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Yet its speeds are well within SATA3 range?

As someone else pointed out, you were apparently referring to the SSD in the Samsung USB-C drive.

I was referring to the internal SSD in the MacBook Pro.

As you have pointed out, it's a bit more than half the SATA3.0 maximum rate. So, that would indicate it's a constraint in the flash memory, and SATA3.0 is sufficient.

But, once SATA3.2 (or SATA Express) SSD controllers are available, the maximum rate of 16Gbit/sec would exceed the maximum USB 3.1/-C rate.

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2013
So, now we all love Samsung? Ok...

Not really sure where you have been for the last 3-4 generations of rMBP and MBA's, but the Samsung SSD's have been one of the most coveted drives in our MacBooks. They offer one of (if not THE) fastest read/write speeds, and they are quite reliable.

Sure, "we all" don't enjoy Samsung smartphones or the Samsung complete laptops. However, Samsung makes some very solid internal parts (including screens and SSD's)

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Looks good, and the fact it's alumninum construction should make it rugged. When will pricing be announced?

Isn't it odd to introduce a product and not mention the price?

Per http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-portable-ssd-t3/

"Samsung says the Portable SSD T3 will be available for purchase in March, with pricing to be announced then."

I think prices will be at least the same as their T1 drives, but more than likely they'll be slightly more due to aluminum construction.

T1 prices are:

250GB MSRP: $129.99
500GB MSRP: $219.99
1TB MSRP: $429.99

I'm thinking the 2TB T3 will MSRP for around $800-$900

Reactions: Four oF NINE

divergirl

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
Also give this thread a careful read. The T1 doesn't work as simply as all other external drives I've ever used, possibly due to its encryption or other software schemes. It's unclear whether the T3 works the same proprietary way or "fixes" the problem/inconvenience. That said, I've been using a 500 GB T1 for external backup and am very happy with it, and in awe of the speed and tiny size and weight. If I could overcome the confidence issues referenced in the thread below, I'd replace all my external drives with T1s (or T3s).

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/arti...off-on-new-samsung-t1-flash-ssd#comment-87207

I can confirm. I majorly borked up the formatting on my T1 drive on my Mac and it took me a while to fix it.

I just initially plugged it into my Mac and tried formatting it with encryption and it got partway through and hung. I left it for about seven hours before I gave up and force quit the procedure.

So then I tried plugging it into an old Windows laptop to format it, but it was so messed up Windows wouldn't even see the drive.

And Disk Utility wouldn't let me do anything with the drive either. It kept giving me all these error messages. And my encryption password wasn't working to access the drive. I couldn't even fix the partition table in Disk Warrior, it was so borked up.

The only way I was able to fix it was to use dd in Terminal to overwrite part of the drive with zeros, until all the bits with encryption were completely overwritten. I think I had to let it run for like ten minutes.

Then I was able to use Disk Utillty to format the drive. It's run fine ever since, but it certainly gave me a headache initially. @-@

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
With the limited amounts of internal SSD storage Apple will put in their computers (and then zero internal upgrade ability after purchase), solutions like this will become increasingly necessary unfortunately.

I agree - I hope apply likes the idea of these drives duct taped to the back of their precious imac enclosures. That's what I'm going to do because they make it near impossible to get inside, or put in a second interior drive.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
I want one of these badly.

Sandisk makes one with about double the read/write, but I don't think it's Type C. It's also more expensive. Wonder if they'll update that line as well.

They offer up to 2TB SSDs right now right? At least 1TB. That's not really limited.

Write speed doubled might be worthwhile, but in practical real life terms (especially if measured in bits per second) a user might not really see a worthwhile difference. Depends on the application being used...

But I'd be more interested in mid- and long- term longevity - typically Intel and Samsung make the most dependable chips noting that it's harder to recover data from SSDs than it is to get data from HDDs... And the fact the Samsung has integrated hardware encryption, and make sure it's enabled and used, is only a good thing. Your typical disk wipe utility doesn't work on SSDs in the same way (the SSD's logic controller simulating the appearance of an old school HDD to the software, so what the software does might not be what the hardware ends up doing.)

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA

It's all a dog and pony show meant for us to drool and go "bow wow" over. When each company gets done whining about copying and patent trolling and/or buying patents to go troll with, they buy from and support one another. Everyone knows Apple copies from others just as much as Samsung and Android and others do too. The tech media is littered with articles... if Samsung were so evil, Apple could and would have gone elsewhere years ago. Especially with the Retina screens and the itty bitty kerfuffle that came about with image retention from one company making the screens yet Samsung's quality yielded a proper quality panel...

Disclaimer: Sometimes i can be the tiniest bit cynical

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Last edited:

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
With the limited amounts of internal SSD storage Apple will put in their computers (and then zero internal upgrade ability after purchase), solutions like this will become increasingly necessary unfortunately.

It used to be better. In 2009 it was easy to remove the optical drive and plug in a SSD mounting bracket adapter. By 2011, or was it 2010, they put a huge ribbon cable over the optical drive assembly, over the drive. Remove it, or if it looks like it was moved, your warranty and AppleCare too would be summarily void.

Apple's profit margins are impressive, but preventing post-purchase add-ons seems much. Having worked in tech for 25 years, the claims of "static discharge causes all these returns" seems excessive; are people rubbing their pet dogs while adding RAM or sticking their finger in an active light socket while swapping a replacement HDD? (Usually people return items because it doesn't suit their needs or the item truly was defective before adding in a component, and laptops are made to make the user-replaceable or customizable components easy to get at, to reduce risk of damage and other problems... and for robustness; noting how Macbook cover removal exposes the whole circuit board and battery, with most ribbon cables being gently underneath it all, it's a bit strange that a sole 1" wide cable is placed along one particular spot and looking very un-clean and un-Apple-like, yet so tight that without the most deft touch and knowing precisely how to undo it that it will break... Apple wants to be the sole source of upgrades, given the markup. While still better than in years past and in 2007 the upgrade items were exorbitantly priced considering it's all off-the-shelf stuff, there still is a needless markup - most consumers aren't entirely computer-ignorant. Maybe lazy, but then we have products encouraging laziness to make people lazy before we blame them as being lazy...)

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Yea but when you plug this into the Macbook it will drain the battery even faster because you it only has one port. When you want to charge you have to unplug the drive.

More Apple innovation at work. But Apple stuff is small and you cannot get confused with only one connector.

multipasser

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
So the only macbook with usb-c just has ONE usb-c connection?
So what if you want to use an external monitor or charge your macbook???

what kind of system is this? It looks like a macbook should have 3 or 4 usb-c connections.
Or does apple want us to buy 5port hubs?

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
External memory storage?

It's 1993 again? Whitney Houston on the radio? Besides internal storage, I don't remember using anything else besides cloud storage.

Also, Samsung, please use all metric, or at least don't mix units, using metric for falls, and imperial for weight and dimensions.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Also, Samsung, please use all metric, or at least don't mix units, using metric for falls, and imperial for weight and dimensions.

You had better tell Apple that when they show off at their Public Keynote the iPhone with it's 5.5" screen yet at the same time point out it's only 7.3mm thick :)

Reactions: Avalontor

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Beefcake was right, more expensive than what, prices of the T1 haven't been released yet.
No, T3 prices haven't been announced yet. The T1 has been available for some time.
Write speed doubled might be worthwhile, but in practical real life terms (especially if measured in bits per second) a user might not really see a worthwhile difference. Depends on the application being used...

But I'd be more interested in mid- and long- term longevity - typically Intel and Samsung make the most dependable chips noting that it's harder to recover data from SSDs than it is to get data from HDDs... And the fact the Samsung has integrated hardware encryption, and make sure it's enabled and used, is only a good thing. Your typical disk wipe utility doesn't work on SSDs in the same way (the SSD's logic controller simulating the appearance of an old school HDD to the software, so what the software does might not be what the hardware ends up doing.)

Yeah it really comes down to the price difference and real life performance. If the price difference was negligible, I may opt for the faster speed. If we're talking a large difference in price, then I would definitely opt for the Samsung drive for the advantages you mention.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
In the 23 posts before your comment, noone mentions an affinity toward Samsung. It's basically a new device worth having.

WiFi, Bluetooth and USB-C is the only thing the consumer sphere should ever need.
I agree with your sentiment - but Bluetooth as it is right now sucks for anything besides wireless keyboards and mice. A new standard should be made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.