Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Way better than the Apple Watch. Way better looking too (anyone wearing a square smart watch is a ****, unfortunately nobody in fashion followed and that's part of the reason why it failed)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Agree. Samsung makes the worst of all the smart watches yet they make front page. LG, Asus, Moto, Apple all make a much better smart watch.

The first one they did was cool, lots of geeks have hacked it too, a bit like the Motorola sports thingy, I've seen full Android put on that!
I think Tizen is a waste of space, I mean you can get a Sony smartwatch now for cheap running Android Wear so it'll work with both Android and iOS, so why buy these Samsung ones?

Looks like Android is going to flood the market with watches just like they do with phones! YAY! Then we can hear about how Android wear is outselling the competition 135 to 1. :rolleyes:

Quality over Quantity. I guess that has been forgotten.

Well done, you've managed to make a Android slandering post that has NOTHING to do with the story posted, if you actually read the story instead of jumping on the Android bashing band wagon, you perhaps would have realised these new watches have nothing to do with Android as they aren't running it!!
And Apple Watch isn't quality, it's overpriced. But hey, pay thousands for a case with internals made on a Chinese mass production line for $2 if you think it's offering 'quality'.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Specs look good and the UI looks enticing.

Way better (at least on paper) than cashing in significantly more on an Apple Watch. We'll see how well it does against it.

And it's a circle, so it looks like a watch!

;)

Reactions: Demo Kit

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Lol add up all 7 of samsungs smart watches and apple still sold 20x more with their 1 watch. Tizen? Idiots. Why not use android ware so they can be used with every android phone then maybe you'll sell a few more.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
The standard model is kinda ugly, but the classic looks pretty good. Either which way, from my experience and what I have heard from Moto 360 users, the round screen is horrible. You have to remember, computers, software, and text was always meant to be viewed on a square or rectangular display. Heck even paper is rectangular. Watches and clocks were only round so the hands could move/sweep. It makes sense for smart watches to be square.

The only decent feature I see on these is the addition of a 3G radio. I'm curious to know how much the carriers are going to charge to add it on to a plan.

To each their own. I love my Apple Watch, and I don't see myself going to any other watch, regardless if its a smart or regular watch.

Reactions: Lazy and ErikGrim

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Um, nope. Clearly you've never seen one in person.

They're even uglier in person. I'd pay money NOT to wear it, I'd be embarrassed to have that on my wrist in public.

That along with its inflated price tag, terrible battery life, required cell phone and it's inevitable irrelevancy after 12 months when the new one comes out and the old one can't get updates.

USELESS. And more of a headache than anything. It doesn't solve any problems especially since I've already got a cell phone on me at all times.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I like the 3d effects on the watch face to give the appearance of a real watch but damn, the form of the watch looks pretty shiet. Apple gives us the digital crown, Samsung gives us the twisting watch face. Lol. Not sure why they didn't just outright copy the digital crown concept.

I should just state I don't particularly like Samsung products in general, glad to see this ain't about to change anytime soon.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Lol add up all 7 of samsungs smart watches and apple still sold 20x more with their 1 watch. Tizen? Idiots. Why not use android ware so they can be used with every android phone then maybe you'll sell a few more.

Android wear is not really intended to be a full blown app platform. Android has taken a different standpoint for wearables, as mostly an extension of the android phone experience. Notifications and cards from google now are the main purpose, with some limited App support. I don't think Android wear even supports 3G

It looks like Samsung wants more of an Apple Watch competitor. That is, a full blown Application on your wrist platform. So to do that they would have to either do a fork of Android itself for the watch, or, use their Tizen OS, which they've been working with for years in the wearable and integrated platforms.

The only problem with going Tizen, is the lack of real 3rd party support. you'll be reliant on Samsung for compatibility and Apps.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
The standard model is kinda ugly, but the classic looks pretty good. Either which way, from my experience and what I have heard from Moto 360 users, the round screen is horrible. You have to remember, computers, software, and text was always meant to be viewed on a square or rectangular display. Heck even paper is rectangular. Watches and clocks were only round so the hands could move/sweep. It makes sense for smart watches to be square.

The only decent feature I see on these is the addition of a 3G radio. I'm curious to know how much the carriers are going to charge to add it on to a plan.

To each their own. I love my Apple Watch, and I don't see myself going to any other watch, regardless if its a smart or regular watch.
T-Mobile is offering an add-on plan for $5 a month for the 3G version.
Pretty cheap.

As for the round display, I've had a Moto 360 since December. You get used to it pretty quick.
Reading text on it is easier than reading text on my wife's 38mm Apple Watch.
Love the Apple Watch features, just not a fan of the pill box shape.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Jony Ive and his cohorts must be hitting the pub soon to drown their sorrows because there's just no coming back from this knockout punch. 302 ppi, Tizen OS, 1 GHz dual core processor, Samsung Pay, S Health activity tracking dust, IP68 and water resistance. So much win for such a small product. Just look at that gorgeous design. Those Korean designers are something else. That round display is tons more elegant than that iWatch thing. Such a natural display for displaying notifications and text.

This is Korean ingenuity, people. This is Samsung Gear S2.

Your check is in the mail.
Thank you,
Samsung AstroTurf Payments Dept.

MR-LIZARD

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
UK
And it's a circle, so it looks like a watch!

;)

I don't get the desire for a circular watch. Sure, historically watches have been circular (although my previous watch a Tissot was actually square too) but it makes no sense to maintain circular styles for a smart watch.

Does your smartphone bear any resemblance to the original telephone?

It's a waste of screen estate and if you have a digital numerical face it's even more absurd to keep it circular.

Last edited:

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
looks nice. i think, the rotating bezel for navigation is a pretty cool idea. at least their hardware design tries to be different from apple. not so sure about how much sense a round display makes - but it should work, given enough thought and care. running tizen will definitely hamper it, and whether samsung's claims of battery life, etc. hold true remains to be seen.

Reactions: Lazy

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
2qspd84.jpg

*Sigh*

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I don't get the desire for a circular watch. Sure, historically watches have been circular (although my previous watch a Tissot was actually square too) but it makes no sense to maintain circular styles for a smart watch.

Does your smartphone bear any resemblance to an original telephone? Does it look anything like

for many of us, wearing a watch is more "jewelry" than functionality. the Look is very important. And some of us just preffer the classic round. thats all it is. Personal preference.

I've worn a certain style watch my whole life. I don't like square. The Apple watch is a well built smartwatch. But it still is square, and to me, still feels geeky and not quite "jewelry" enough for me.

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
I understand everyone is hating on these because it's Samsung, but these are pretty great smartwatches. And they have a lot more functionality without the need of a phone, and there's something to be said about round watches.

Looking forward to Apple's response. Competition only makes products better for consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.