Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
TSMC might be market leader in fab business still, especially in volume but it's not because they have the most advanced technology. Their glorious days were with bigger-than-30/40nm market because they had big manufacturing capacity.

That's all fine and dandy except it doesn't match up with the reality. Just last month TSMC posted a great financial result based on the 28nm and 20nm market, which combined accounted for 43% of their wafer revenues.

What's your source with the statement above?

Unlike you, I have a source, TSMC themselves, a real financial result posted on their site. In the future TSMC may struggle due to increased competition but for now they have had a great year and they were, and are, the number one fab by a huge margin.

You probably didn't heard about TSMC's notorious failure cases to deliver on time (not sample products). There were lots of fuss regarding nVidia GPUs, etc. due to the TSMC's failure to deliver as expected.

Just look what happened with the TLC NAND disaster when Apple switched away from Samsung which is considered the best in the industry for performance, reliability and endurance.

I'm not really sure why people are trying so hard to find cases of TSMC failing somewhere else in the history, or in case of mi7chy, in an unrelated industry and company to make a point Samsung is the only one who's capable of making these chips. Because right now Apple is using TSMC chips for the latest iPhone and iPads.

I hear the iPad Air 2 is having a lot of troubles with its lack of processing power and the iPhones are failing left and right due to their non-Samsung TSMC chips. Or maybe the reality is the opposite and even Samsung is using TSMC chips instead of their own for the majority of their Galaxy S and Note phones.

Also anyone remembers how the A8 was supposed to be jointly produced by Samsung? I haven't heard any report of a Samsung A8 chip materializing. Maybe something for Apple TV wonder?

People are still clueless. The key to the article was the inclusion of Global Foundries Malta NY Plant.

Exactly. The fab sync and the GF deal have been mentioned a few times already and it seems no one is paying attention and doesn't get much publicity over hit pieces like this one when even the senator is quoted about it. At the end it just becomes another fodder silly "Samsung is evil" vs. "Apple fanboys underestimate Samsung" war (where I particularly enjoy all the ignorance of the latter camp.)

Last edited:

Shirke

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Apple now is walking on their knees to Samsung begging to produce for them a chips for their products since apple can't do on their own.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Anyone familiar with the semiconductor industry knows TSMC is the Walmart of fabs. They're cheap and have the quantity but not necessarily the quality compared to Intel and Samsung. Apple went with TSMC mainly because it's cheap to increase profit like the cheap TLC NAND, old LCD tech, bendable aluminum instead of nanocarbon/kevlar/composite. More interesting is Samsung's partnership with Glofo to manufacture Qualcomm Snapdragon, Exynos on 14nm and benefit to AMD APU/CPU/GPU. Apple is more of a side show with low 10% world marketshare.

800px-MobileOS_market_share_till_2014_Q2.png

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
In your opinion, do you think mfg. will slowly shift back to the states, much like Mac production could?

Yes. Manufacturing in the IT industry is beginning to mirror the Auto Industry where companies are regionally manufacturing to serve zones, instead of the entire globe from the far east.

TSMC, Samsung and Global Foundries are all beefing up manufacturing domestically.

So is Intel.

They are also beefing it up in Europe and Asia.

The next decade will be the decade of MEMS [Micro Electric Mechanical Systems].

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Apple now is walking on their knees to Samsung begging to produce for them a chips for their products since apple can't do on their own.

Apple is leveraging this partnership:

http://globalfoundries.com/newsroom...ering-of-14nm-finfet-semiconductor-technology

Malta, NY Fab 8 will be stamping out 300mm Wafers, 60k/month, solely for 28nm and below [presently 14nm LPP/LPE jointly with Samsung].

Take A8X die size of 128mm^2 @20nm processing. Assuming the 14nm for A9 increases transistor count but keeps roughly the same die size:

You'll get around 530 chips per 300mm wafer. At 60,000 wafers per month [full capacity] = 31.8 million.

Obviously, Global Foundries and Samsung each have a wide variety of customers using those wafers. But you can imagine the capacity available on such large wafers and small die sizes.

They were working with 450mm wafers for the next advancement in Fabs, at 10nm and 7nm solutions.

We're going to reach a point where 3D layering will come into chip design like HBM stack memory.

procol

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2014
That's all fine and dandy except it doesn't match up with the reality. Just last month TSMC posted a great financial result based on the 28nm and 20nm market, which combined accounted for 43% of their wafer revenues.

Unlike you, I have a source, TSMC themselves, a real financial result posted on their site. In the future TSMC may struggle due to increased competition but for now they have had a great year and they were, and are, the number one fab by a huge margin.

Also anyone remembers how the A8 was supposed to be jointly produced by Samsung? I haven't heard any report of a Samsung A8 chip materializing. Maybe something for Apple TV wonder?

Don't be so arrogant. :p Okay, if you didn't grasp the context, I'll be more specific with the statement I previously wrote on my post.

TSMC might be market leader in fab business still, especially in volume but it's not because they have the most advanced technology. Their glorious days regarding "fabbing technology" were with bigger-than-30/40nm market because they had big manufacturing capacity.

I don't care TSMC is raking money from mid-tier class products like 30+ nm and even with 20nm class ones. I never stated that TSMC is in trouble financially. They are falling behind their rivals like Samsung and Intel(even though Intel don't do fab business much) in technology. In that sense, I wrote that their glorious days are over.

Samsung used to make 20nm class products but never expanded the lines for them. On the contrary, to shift to 14nm FinFET quickly, they drastically decreased 20nm process lines at some point and now they are focusing on converting their key fab lines for 14nm FinFET products.

You never know what's going on in the talk between big companies. I won't get surprised at the news Samsung already finalized the deal with Qualcomm for their next-gen Snapdragon based on 14nm FinFET. Who knows? What do you think Samsung shared 14nm FinFET tech with GlobalFoundries for? To utilize their production lines, obviously. Then, who will be the clients then? Apple probably and it's logical to infer there are more. FYI: Samsung to produce 14nm FinFET chips for AMD, Apple, Qualcomm – report There are already speculations.

They all need lower-power-higher-performance SoCs for their next products in their pipelines. And Samsung can make those while TSMC who used to make 20nm class products can't. Why hesitate to switch to Samsung then?

And about A8 chip production sharing with Samsung, how do you think we figure out who manufactured the chip? Apple never announce or confirm. Usually hardware-focused group like Chipworks or sometimes more professional media like Anandtech and Ars technica disassemble the chip itself physically and figures out indirectly without any official confirmation from Apple or fab companies. You never know whether TSMC manufactures all the A8 chips or not, not to speak of the proportion between TSMC and Samsung in case Samsung manufactured some portion of them unless the disassembler aforementioned disassemble considerable amount of devices from various regions.

Last edited:

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
When I pick up my Iphone 6, I think of it as an Apple product. I never think about who makes the components inside.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
... a different company from Apple in that they're a manufacturer. Apple is primarily software & marketing.

You just described Microsoft, not Apple!

Some steel company the built the Eiffel Tower - they just gave credit to that guy for publicity!?

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Oh dear lord. Do you have any idea how big Samsung is? Apple hasn't got the kind of leverage with Samsung that they had with a tiny little company like GT. There is most assuredly not the same kind of "you will take this deal and love it" dictation of terms. Samsung is more than big enough to say "Ha, piss off."

Samsung is not bigger than Intel - that is why Apple has the clout with them for producing the "brick and mortar!"

If they are that big, considering the animosity between them, why don't they show Apple the door already! They have been wanting to be Apple for a while - they can deliver the kill shot anytime if they are that good!

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Wow, isnt Samsung a competitor to Apple, now they are friends, kind of shocked. Maybe i should regard it as a good thing.

You cannot be a competitor with one division and a customer of another? There is no friends in this, companies cannot be friends, they're not people they're paperwork. Apple needs something Samsung can provide a the price Apple is willing to pay, it's a simple as that.

Last edited:

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I'm starting to think companies are no longer really "enemies" anymore. They all just operate in a careful balance of competitive spirit and a sort of necessary cooperation in some ways.

They all use a lot of the same technology, parts from many of the same vendors (Qualcomm for radio chipsets for instance). Samsung is probably more than happy to be able to make a few dollars from some iPhones sold, and Apple is happy to have multiple suppliers for their parts so that if one company decides to "take all their toys and go home" they don't lose out.

It all works in the end, everyone makes money and we all get decent products, most of the time. :)

Great post. It's almost like how the US political system works: we people think there's a real difference between democrat and republicans but ultimately it's just whos taking your money and spending it on stuff you probably don't approve of. They are all in bed together per se.

;)

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
You just described Microsoft, not Apple!

Some steel company the built the Eiffel Tower - they just gave credit to that guy for publicity!?

Apple is a systems integration and design company :); they sell a good experience to the client, not a product. Just wrote their mission statement ;-).

They are a software company because that's the framework for system integration.

They design the parts and get them made to order and then use their software framework to make it all work together.

Design is to make the parts work well together.

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
Samsung is not bigger than Intel - that is why Apple has the clout with them for producing the "brick and mortar!"
Huh? Samsung is *much* larger than Intel.

If they are that big, considering the animosity between them, why don't they show Apple the door already! They have been wanting to be Apple for a while - they can deliver the kill shot anytime if they are that good!
Um, because Samsung is in business to make money just like Apple is? You guys are silly, and you really have a myopic view of the world and how a business is run.

----------

You just described Microsoft, not Apple
Microsoft has as much claim to being a hardware manufacturer as Apple does. Which is to say, not much. They spec the hardware, Foxconn/etc actually engineer and produce it. Apple has incredible marketing skill, and respectable software engineering (though I have to say, there are plenty of bugs in iOS 8 that make me think they've diverted too much money from software to marketing...).

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
Yep Samsung needs the business because their handset business is in a free fall#
Samsung's smartphone business is hurting because competition from other Android handsets has gotten fierce. Here's a hint: The best build quality smartphone you can buy now is definitely not an iPhone. And the best industrial design isn't the iPhone, either. I'm using an iPhone 6 right now because of the software and ecosystem, in spite of the hardware. Apple obsesses about thin and aluminum, and the result is you have a bendable phone that slips out of your hand unless you put a case on it. What's the point of making something pretty when all of your customers have to disguise it in a case just to make it usable?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Samsung's smartphone business is hurting because competition from other Android handsets has gotten fierce. Here's a hint: The best build quality smartphone you can buy now is definitely not an iPhone. And the best industrial design isn't the iPhone, either. I'm using an iPhone 6 right now because of the software and ecosystem, in spite of the hardware. Apple obsesses about thin and aluminum, and the result is you have a bendable phone that slips out of your hand unless you put a case on it. What's the point of making something pretty when all of your customers have to disguise it in a case just to make it usable?
Yes I agree Samsungs smart phone business is hurting from the Chinese OEMs but it's their own fault and they trusted Google with android. Why was this a big mistake well for one they have to compete against Google and everyone else. Google is laughing all the way to the bank and they put all these manufacture is in a pit and let them fight it out. this tactic will eventually backfire on Google.

Everyone's beef about Apple making their phones thinner and thinner is a mute point. Thinner devices push innovation limits. If it were not for Apple pushing manufactories to make small the chips and small components you would not have one smart watch today. For the issue of bending phones I have not been my 6+ yet neither has my wife iPhone, if the iPhone bends that easy everyone would have a bent iPhone. It's a fact that I'm using my iPhone 6+ exactly the way I was using my iPhone 5s.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Huh? Samsung is *much* larger than Intel.

----------

[/COLOR] Microsoft has as much claim to being a hardware manufacturer as Apple does. Apple has incredible marketing skill,

In the world of chip making, Intel is LARGER than Samsung. Samsung makes chips as designed by others (order A7 - A9), like a brick maker, i.e., they have the foundries! Intel innovates and designs its chips, like AMD does. Both are better and bigger at it than Samsung! I will not add the heavy industrial machinery to automobile divisions of Samsung to pad it up, when we are discussing smartphones - or the whole computing segment, including flash drives. And, Samsung is government owned!

:apple:Apple is a Hardware and Software maker who integrates the products in a smooth environ, and stands by both - no passing the buck like Microsoft and the PC makers are famous for for decades!

Microsoft "hardware" in PCs!? Where?

All of these companies have excellent marketing skills - see how we are squabbling over them! And, carrying around powerful phones that have features we do not need to varying degrees!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I guess TSMC didn't want to put their big boy pants on.

20 % is still an huge number ...

----------

Sucks for people that swore to never buy a Samsung product again.

Last time I checked, the iPhone wasn't a Samsung product. And in the same way the iPhone 6S won't be a Samsung product.

I won't buy a Samsung product. I will buy an Apple product.

----------

Anybody who says that is ignorant. Not only does Samsung make a lot more than just smartphones & tablets, they're also fundamentally a different company from Apple in that they're a manufacturer. Apple is primarily software & marketing.

Oh dear lord. Do you have any idea how big Samsung is? Apple hasn't got the kind of leverage with Samsung that they had with a tiny little company like GT. There is most assuredly not the same kind of "you will take this deal and love it" dictation of terms. Samsung is more than big enough to say "Ha, piss off."
Do you have any idea how rich Apple is? Samsung need Apple more than Apple needs Samsung.
Apple could make iDevices without Samsung, but Samsung can't have a bigger customer than Apple in this field.

----------

And the codependent relationship continues.

Apple needs Samsung to make its chips.

Samsung needs Apple to come up with all its successful ideas.

Apple doesn't need Samsung. They choose Samsung for convenience.
That's quite different...

----------

Currently TSMC is far bigger in scale than Samsung as a fab, it's actually not really close. Apple has successfully transitioned away from Samsung to TSMC this generation and is making more new devices than ever so it's pretty clear Samsung isn't the only company capable of mass production of A processors.

However TSMC is known to drive hard bargains as well and from Apple's point of view they'll always try to diversify the supply chain. One thing not mentioned in this article is the role of Global Foundries, with whom Apple has been linked to and they share the exact same technologies as Samsung.

So far it's the opposite. The thread is full of anti fanboys taunting the fanboys/Samsung haters. Also most iOS devices of this generation aren't powered by Samsung, the only exception being the "new" iPad mini 3. Ironically the majority of high end Samsung phones aren't powered by Samsung.

Remember when Samsung was deemed indispensable to iPhones and it was a big deal? Yet when Apple made iPhones without Samsung part in it, no one really made any big deal out of it even though it was a big transition. Yet when the new article comes out with some rumor involving Samsung, no one recalls how Apple was able to switch between suppliers without too much trouble.

Which is like Saying AMD and nVidia do not make anything, or even Nintendo, they all contract out the manufacturing, often to the same companies used by Apple, namely TSMC and Foxconn. It's puzzling why Apple is usually the only company where the manufacturing entity is considered so important.

Very well educated post.
They are speaking about Samsung haters, but all I can see here are mostly Samsung lovers which don't understand the stronger position here is held by Apple.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

This in a parallel dimension.
In the real world Samsung is offering Apple to make their CPU because they need Apple's money.

----------

Wow, isnt Samsung a competitor to Apple, now they are friends, kind of shocked. Maybe i should regard it as a good thing.

They aren't friends.
They are business partners.
Quite different.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
Handsets not mobile in general

Nice attempt trying to try save face with a vague term.

Mobile is handsets. What are you talking about?

You talking about handsets as in cordless phone handsets? No one even uses that term.

Vague term save face. Typical.

----------

In the world of chip making, Intel is LARGER than Samsung. Samsung makes chips as designed by others (order A7 - A9), like a brick maker, i.e., they have the foundries! Intel innovates and designs its chips, like AMD does. Both are better and bigger at it than Samsung! I will not add the heavy industrial machinery to automobile divisions of Samsung to pad it up, when we are discussing smartphones - or the whole computing segment, including flash drives. And, Samsung is government owned!

:apple:Apple is a Hardware and Software maker who integrates the products in a smooth environ, and stands by both - no passing the buck like Microsoft and the PC makers are famous for for decades!

All of these companies have excellent marketing skills - see how we are squabbling over them! And, carrying around powerful phones that have features we do not need to varying degrees!

Samsung is govrnment owned? Wow. Didnt know that.

Always a good laugh.

----------

20 % is still an huge number ...

----------

Last time I checked, the iPhone wasn't a Samsung product. And in the same way the iPhone 6S won't be a Samsung product.

I won't buy a Samsung product. I will buy an Apple product.

----------

Do you have any idea how rich Apple is? Samsung need Apple more than Apple needs Samsung.
Apple could make iDevices without Samsung, but Samsung can't have a bigger customer than Apple in this field.

----------

Apple doesn't need Samsung. They choose Samsung for convenience.
That's quite different...

----------

Very well educated post.
They are speaking about Samsung haters, but all I can see here are mostly Samsung lovers which don't understand the stronger position here is held by Apple.

They choose them for convenience? What a joke.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014

Um..the XBOX series of consoles?

Isn't it funny how we are fighting each other about semantics. That speaks volumes to the state of large corporations nowadays. They are really a melting pot of identities--- and you're all correct!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.