Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
I've just seen a Samsung large screen TV with a curved screen advertised on channel 4. Is this so they get one out before apple?

Barney

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus

Attachments

• medium01a.jpg
    medium01a.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 214

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Sorry to be dumb, but aside from novelty, what is the advantage of a curved screen?

Total and absolute and 100% complete immersion!

And even if not you have still have the advantage of spending lots of money for that thing.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

And even if not you have still have the advantage of spending lots of money for that thing.

Unless you're sitting about one foot away from the screen...how does it create "total immersion" from, say, a ten foot viewing distance.

The "lots of money" part seems more logical...:p

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Unless you're sitting about one foot away from the screen...how does it create "total immersion" from, say, a ten foot viewing distance.

Well, you sit one feet away. Problem = solved. Better buy two more for other family members or guests. You can spend even more that way!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I used to have a curved TV screen, long before the flat screens came around. :D

Attachments

• 48834_tv.jpg
    48834_tv.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 1,985

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Seriously though, the Samsung curved TV does seem to be a gimmick to me, on it's face, without actually sitting in front of one to experience it. Kind of like the 3D TV's were a big thing a few years ago. Until they figure out how to do 3D without the use of glasses or other accessories, I'm not interested in them.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I've seen the curved screen a few times in person and I prefer flat screen, I really don't see any advantage to the curved screen.

Regarding 3D, I've had a 60" 3D TV for over 3 years and I've used it twice out of novelty.

You gotta hand it to the TV manufacturers though, they're pretty good at tricking the average consumer to buy the latest and greatest (even if it's not great) when they really didn't need to upgrade.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I can only assume that whoever thought of the curved screen is basing their idea on the fact that most movie screens are slightly concave to prevent image distortion during projection. Why they thought this was a good idea to put on a TV I have no idea. It sounds to me like it's the next fad in TVs and it'll soon go the way of 3D TV.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
Well, I have one, and let me tell you folks that the experience is brilliant, the curved form enhances the depth aspect of images which are already breathtaking.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Sorry to be dumb, but aside from novelty, what is the advantage of a curved screen?

I think the two main advantages are a vastly increased viewing angle and more pleasant viewing experience if your not sitting dead centre and also less environmental reflections.

Theres obviously a bit of a gimmick side to it as well but they have trouble selling people new TVs so they always need something new to keep profits up.

I do think its kind of cool that they can make such large oled panels now at almost reasonable prices.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I think the two main advantages are a vastly increased viewing angle and more pleasant viewing experience if your not sitting dead centre and also less environmental reflections.

Theres obviously a bit of a gimmick side to it as well but they have trouble selling people new TVs so they always need something new to keep profits up.

I do think its kind of cool that they can make such large oled panels now at almost reasonable prices.

Thanks...that does make sense. I guess I'll just suffer with my flat screen.

Oh, the sacrifices that I make in the name of frugality!:eek:

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012

It seems a gimmick for now, but a taste of what's to come perhaps.

Sooner or later the image will arise up off the two dimensional screen in to the 3D space surrounding us, and then we'll have complete immersion for real.

Another big step will be the creation of fully realistic software based human-like entities that can be programmed to taste.

The end goal we are inching our way towards is the creation of an alternate reality where we are gods in control of our experience, no longer bound to the tedious burden of compromise.

And then having achieved our most deeply held historic goal, we will likely lose our souls so to speak, and the whole thing will come crashing down. :) Nothing this big ever works right on the first try.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Thanks...that does make sense. I guess I'll just suffer with my flat screen.

Oh, the sacrifices that I make in the name of frugality!:eek:

Ye, they are minor advantages for most! I guess if you had an unusual room shape and multiple people that watch TV at the same time it might be worth it.

I still a have a Samsung HD CRT (with a flat screen!) TV so they aren't doing well in convincing me to upgrade yet!

At the very least, it pushes technology along for other stuff.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

I agree upon OLED - there is amazing potential at hand and the sooner prices fall the better.

But can you explain those two main advantages please a bit further? Viewing angle - I don't really understand the advantage, there would always be an averted side if I don't sit in front dead center. Why would that be an advantage? Reflections I can understand partially, but depending on the situation it could reflect even more than a plane panel imo (i.e. my tv is perfectly framed by the cabinet set back by ~ 40cm; would the screen be curved reflections would be possibly increased instead of minimized).

----------

It seems a gimmick for now, but a taste of what's to come perhaps.

Well, I know that people game on three screens already, so this seem logical (and more pleasant). But those sit infact dead center and play mostly alone, I guess. Watching TV is a different thing imo. But yep, we need more curved walls!

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I agree upon OLED - there is amazing potential at hand and the sooner prices fall the better.

But can you explain those two main advantages please a bit further? Viewing angle - I don't really understand the advantage, there would always be an averted side if I don't sit in front dead center. Why would that be an advantage? Reflections I can understand partially, but depending on the situation it could reflect even more than a plane panel imo (i.e. my tv is perfectly framed by the cabinet set back by ~ 40cm; would the screen be curved reflections would be possibly increased instead of minimized).

Thats just what Id heard from from a few sources. They tested them on a TV show over here recently and seemed to be very impressed with viewing angles compared to a flat screen. I really don't know anymore about them that what I've heard to be honest!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've seen the curved screen a few times in person and I prefer flat screen, I really don't see any advantage to the curved screen.

Regarding 3D, I've had a 60" 3D TV for over 3 years and I've used it twice out of novelty.

You gotta hand it to the TV manufacturers though, they're pretty good at tricking the average consumer to buy the latest and greatest (even if it's not great) when they really didn't need to upgrade.

The last time I was shopping for a large screen TV, the new Led/3D models had recently come out. My choice was a new LED model for $2500 or an older LCD model for $1200. If I had seen a 30% difference in screen quality, I probably would have forked over $2500, but the 3D looked like crap imo and for the normal picture, the difference on the HD feed at the store, was so subtle, I could not justify paying double. I have been happy with this decision.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
The last time I was shopping for a large screen TV, the new Led/3D models had recently come out. My choice was a new LED model for $2500 or an older LCD model for $1200. If I had seen a 30% difference in screen quality, I probably would have forked over $2500, but the 3D looked like crap imo and for the normal picture, the difference on the HD feed at the store, was so subtle, I could not justify paying double. I have been happy with this decision.

Here's what I have, a Samsung PN59D8000. At the time it was the top of the line Plasma from Samsung and got it for $1,799. LINK

I personally think Plasma is the best value + picture quality. Of course everyone's different and may think LED is better, but that's to be expected. Or if you have a bright room Plasma wouldn't be the best option either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.