Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Got the OneUI 6 update finally. I really don't see any difference between it and before?

If it is based on Android 14 and previous OneUI 5 was based on Android 13 then there should be a lot of benefits under the hood in terms of battery life and thermals.

The s23 ultra was already very good in battery life and now we will see if after some time there are any benefits or not.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Anyone has the Samsung official leather case?

Right now it's 50% off for Black Friday. I had a leather case for my previous iPhone 12 and didn't like how slippery it was.

Is this one slippery?

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Samsung seemingly doing a good job with its recent updates. Excited to see some of these features on the S23. I hope Samsung doesn't copy Apple and keep these features exclusive to the S24.

How has it been in recent years in this regard? Does Samsung extend new features to the previous flagship line without exceptions?

Reactions: DeepIn2U and jamezr

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Samsung seemingly doing a good job with its recent updates. Excited to see some of these features on the S23. I hope Samsung doesn't copy Apple and keep these features exclusive to the S24.
Heavy intensive tasks will surely be exclusive to the S24 given it has the latest chip. Not entirely sure what features will be exclusive… but on the flip side, Samsung is a for-profit business as a result they need to entice users to upgrade.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and jamezr

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
The 512 GB Z Fold 5 can be had with S23+ trade-in for $999 + tax, today direct from Samsung.

Tack on and additional 12% off from Rakuten, plus 2% on my credit card an that's a heck of a deal. Tempting but I don't want something that thick with nothing special in the specs dept. other than the gigunta screen.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Dec update is here!

c413ae27e3e15e6581214f3b26ddef90.jpg

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The 512 GB Z Fold 5 can be had with S23+ trade-in for $999 + tax, today direct from Samsung.

Tack on and additional 12% off from Rakuten, plus 2% on my credit card an that's a heck of a deal. Tempting but I don't want something that thick with nothing special in the specs dept. other than the gigunta screen.
Use the Samsung Galaxy Store app and get another 25% off.

Reactions: edubfromktown

Sebalto

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2023
I received the S23 and after being impressed with it ,I realised that there was no way to wake the screen on notification. After a bit of digging I realised that you can have the edge lighting which was a suitable alternative, but then discovered that you couldn't turn it off when the phone is in use. Returned for refund.

hockeyfan81

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014
I received the S23 and after being impressed with it ,I realised that there was no way to wake the screen on notification. After a bit of digging I realised that you can have the edge lighting which was a suitable alternative, but then discovered that you couldn't turn it off when the phone is in use. Returned for refund.
that's under lockscreen settings..

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you turn off edge lighting, you turn it off for both lock screen and home screen. There is no option to have lockscreen only.
What if you disable lock screen notifications for sahy SMSto which edge lighting you´ve enabled for? Do I understand this correctly?

Heavy intensive tasks will surely be exclusive to the S24 given it has the latest chip. Not entirely sure what features will be exclusive… but on the flip side, Samsung is a for-profit business as a result they need to entice users to upgrade.

Unfortunately Samsung's sales bean crunchers are taking a big control on product decision making, although I do understand the overall picture of doing so currently.

Samsung made it through 2023 with higher than expected profits for their mobile division - which was NOTeasy considering unit sales across manufacturers in every region dropped significantly. Samsung projected this very well and thatś they only the Z Flip 5 got a major ' and much needed overall to boost its sales ¡ and that worked tremendously! The ZFold just needed to improve on full closure, maintain IPx8 raiting ' still best in class, and refine overall software OneUI 6

For 2023 Samsung reduced R&D on products refining product design to be unified and only flat edges for the S24 for 2024 that we know thus far. The ZFold 5 got some sweet partner colour offerings - with Thom Browne being the creme de la creme = very esquisite indeed. Other colour options with partners mostly where exclusive case overings - which for most of us was meh - but in S.Korea that was the bomb! Also the Tab S9 was a sweet killer upgrade not just the sweet design overhaull but with IP68 rating and critically the SoC upgrade including vapour chambers!

For 2024:
S24 Ultra gets titanium flat screen, and SD8 Gen 3 but we're unsure if 120hz will be the max refresh rate; kind of a waste since its capable of 240hz (SoC).
ZFold 6 = this Ipersonally think will get teh lions share of R&D Spending for 2024's launch - that Oppo FIndN3 (N.America OnePlus Open) got rave reviews and may have affected some sales in this 2nd half of the Z Fold 5's product cycle - so Samsung is sure to knock the ZFold 6 out the park:
144 hz AMOLED3 screen with faster touch sensitivity 3000 nits minimum
SD8 Gen 3 AC (For Samsung; higher 2 primary core clock speed)
256/512/1TB storage options
Front display being wider probably to match the Find N3's but slightly thinner product overall.
IP48/IP58/IP68 rating possibly - this would be a GAME changer and kill all competitions sales immensely - BUT Samsungś warranty support and staff training would need to significantly improve and GLOBALLY! from what I´ve read.
more colour options with butter manufacturing Quality Control over the S'Pan case!

Reactions: Ludatyk

Sebalto

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2023
What if you disable lock screen notifications for sahy SMSto which edge lighting you´ve enabled for? Do I understand this correctly?

Unfortunately Samsung's sales bean crunchers are taking a big control on product decision making, although I do understand the overall picture of doing so currently.

Samsung made it through 2023 with higher than expected profits for their mobile division - which was NOTeasy considering unit sales across manufacturers in every region dropped significantly. Samsung projected this very well and thatś they only the Z Flip 5 got a major ' and much needed overall to boost its sales ¡ and that worked tremendously! The ZFold just needed to improve on full closure, maintain IPx8 raiting ' still best in class, and refine overall software OneUI 6

For 2023 Samsung reduced R&D on products refining product design to be unified and only flat edges for the S24 for 2024 that we know thus far. The ZFold 5 got some sweet partner colour offerings - with Thom Browne being the creme de la creme = very esquisite indeed. Other colour options with partners mostly where exclusive case overings - which for most of us was meh - but in S.Korea that was the bomb! Also the Tab S9 was a sweet killer upgrade not just the sweet design overhaull but with IP68 rating and critically the SoC upgrade including vapour chambers!

For 2024:
S24 Ultra gets titanium flat screen, and SD8 Gen 3 but we're unsure if 120hz will be the max refresh rate; kind of a waste since its capable of 240hz (SoC).
ZFold 6 = this Ipersonally think will get teh lions share of R&D Spending for 2024's launch - that Oppo FIndN3 (N.America OnePlus Open) got rave reviews and may have affected some sales in this 2nd half of the Z Fold 5's product cycle - so Samsung is sure to knock the ZFold 6 out the park:
144 hz AMOLED3 screen with faster touch sensitivity 3000 nits minimum
SD8 Gen 3 AC (For Samsung; higher 2 primary core clock speed)
256/512/1TB storage options
Front display being wider probably to match the Find N3's but slightly thinner product overall.
IP48/IP58/IP68 rating possibly - this would be a GAME changer and kill all competitions sales immensely - BUT Samsungś warranty support and staff training would need to significantly improve and GLOBALLY! from what I´ve read.
more colour options with butter manufacturing Quality Control over the S'Pan case!
If I disable lock screen notifications, Edge lighting will still trigger when the phone is in use.

I researched this for a while and the only workaround was to download a 3rd party notification app which would wake the screen about 60% of the time, rendering it useless.

It boggles the mind that Samsung see fit to have so many options and tweaks available but obviously waking the phone on notification receipt like iPhones and Pixels is deemed a step too far.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
So who has an s23 series phone and is considering an upgrade to the s24?

Why? What features most interest you?

I am sticking with the s23 ultra unless I can find a deal where I don't pay anything out of pocket. I really like the s24+ this year. More manageable size but most of the good stuff. The s pen is really the only thing that I don't want to give up and the 10x telephoto. If they get rid of that in the s24 ultra it will make the decision harder.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
So who has an s23 series phone and is considering an upgrade to the s24?

Why? What features most interest you?

I am sticking with the s23 ultra unless I can find a deal where I don't pay anything out of pocket. I really like the s24+ this year. More manageable size but most of the good stuff. The s pen is really the only thing that I don't want to give up and the 10x telephoto. If they get rid of that in the s24 ultra it will make the decision harder.
I'd consider S23+ -> S24+ upgrade to get SD8g3, 12 GB RAM (vs 8), 2600 nits (vs 1,750) and possibly better camera sensor. This assumes trade-in + pre-order reserve and other incentives offset most of the cost.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I'd consider S23+ -> S24+ upgrade to get SD8g3, 12 GB RAM (vs 8), 2600 nits (vs 1,750) and possibly better camera sensor. This assumes trade-in + pre-order reserve and other incentives offset most of the cost.
I would too, but I'm in the UK so would get the exxynos version. Thus I will continute to try and decide between my 8 pro and s23+

That And I brought so much tech stuff in 2023 I'm trying to only replace broken stuff in 2024

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I got rid of my S23 ultra but will be getting S24 ultra and expect it to be my work phone. Pixel 8 pro will be my phone I use at home and for photo taking of my family. Still remains the best for people.

The Al side of things to be interesting to test out and see the differences from the pixel line

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.