Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well, I might be transitioning from the Galaxy Watch… although, I truly enjoyed my time with it (no pun intended).

I realized that an Apple Watch can actually be used without an iPhone (shocker!) as long as I’m part of a family plan, I think this is genius of Apple to add this. I’ll be rocking an Apple Watch Ultra, Galaxy Fold and iPad on a daily basis… think it’s going be the best experience I’ve had to date!

I might end up using some prepaid data plan for the iPad… currently I have it tied on to my AT&T family plan paying monthly, use it quite a bit as a GPS when driving. I’ll replace the iPad for the Apple Watch Ultra on my cellular plan! Or I’m curious can an Apple Watch Ultra be used on a prepaid plan?

Reactions: Bkdodger

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Unfortunately, my Fold 4 developed the loosened screen protector, and then, the dreaded black line up the middle. O course, this happened within a couple of weeks after I stopped warranty coverage.

Well, it would cost $500 or so to fix so I checked on Fold 5 deals. Fortunately, I got a great deal on my new Fold 5. So, I did it and also got a great deal on the Galaxy Watch 6 classic 47 mm. With both, I am very pleased.

Going forward, I'm somewhat skeptical of foldables. If the Fold 6 doesn't have front screen compatibility with the s pen, I will not upgrade.

In Jan, I'm going to add the S24 Ultra to my collection (I like 3 phones: Fold 5, S24 Ultra, and iPhone 13 mini).

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I'm returning my Pixel Fold so I'm going with the Fold 5. I originally ordered through AT&T but Samsung has some good deals so I cancelled my order and went through Samsung. With cyber Monday deals and other discounts the phone is less than my 14 pro max so I'm pretty happy about that. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can see how I like it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
In Jan, I'm going to add the S24 Ultra to my collection (I like 3 phones: Fold 5, S24 Ultra, and iPhone 13 mini).
What roles do each phone serve?

Going forward, I'm somewhat skeptical of foldables. If the Fold 6 doesn't have front screen compatibility with the s pen, I will not upgrade.
I don’t see myself giving up on foldables, not entirely sure if the Fold 6 will have S-Pen support… but I do think that it will happen in the future.

I'm returning my Pixel Fold so I'm going with the Fold 5. I originally ordered through AT&T but Samsung has some good deals so I cancelled my order and went through Samsung. With cyber Monday deals and other discounts the phone is less than my 14 pro max so I'm pretty happy about that. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can see how I like it.
Why are you choosing the Galaxy Fold over the Pixel Fold?

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana

I don’t see myself giving up on foldables, not entirely sure if the Fold 6 will have S-Pen support… but I do think that it will happen in the future.

Why are you choosing the Galaxy Fold over the Pixel Fold?
Reception. One of the things mentioned often when I was researching the PF was weaker radios and that is accurate. At work phone calls are poor quality along with really slow data. I can deal with less than stellar Internet but not the phone calls. Otherwise I'm very pleased with the Pixel so I am disappointed it's not working out. But it won't surprise me if I like the Samsung better once I get it set up like I want and get used to it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But it won't surprise me if I like the Samsung better once I get it set up like I want and get used to it.
Well, we are here to help you with discovering all there is to know about the Galaxy experience! Don’t be reluctant to give ask for assistance…

Been a Fold user since the 2nd generation (on launch), skipped the 3 and bought the 4th… that’s probably my plan going forward. Given I didn’t upgrade to the Galaxy Fold 5, but from the Good Lock modules to S-Pen support... I really hope you find the experience worthwhile.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Well, we are here to help you with discovering all there is to know about the Galaxy experience! Don’t be reluctant to give ask for assistance…

Been a Fold user since the 2nd generation (on launch), skipped the 3 and bought the 4th… that’s probably my plan going forward. Given I didn’t upgrade to the Galaxy Fold 5, but from the Good Lock modules to S-Pen support... I really hope you find the experience worthwhile.
Thanks!
Initially I didn't go with the Samsung because the cover screen is so narrow but hopefully I'll get more comfortable with it over time. I have watched some videos on the split screen capabilities and I think Samsung has advantages in that area.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Thanks!
Initially I didn't go with the Samsung because the cover screen is so narrow but hopefully I'll get more comfortable with it over time.
Yeah, it's definitely an adjustment to get accumulated to the cover screen... but it's not as bad as folks make it out to be (imo).

I have watched some videos on the split screen capabilities and I think Samsung has advantages in that area.
In terms of multitasking, Samsung is the gold standard in the foldable space... primarily because they had more years in development. I tend to do quite a bit of Pop-Up Window multitasking over Split-Screen... but lately I've been using Split-Screen in portrait orientation having windows placed on top and bottom compared to left and right.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Yeah, it's definitely an adjustment to get accumulated to the cover screen... but it's not as bad as folks make it out to be (imo).

In terms of multitasking, Samsung is the gold standard in the foldable space... primarily because they had more years in development. I tend to do quite a bit of Pop-Up Window multitasking over Split-Screen... but lately I've been using Split-Screen in portrait orientation having windows placed on top and bottom compared to left and right.
From what I've seen in videos on YouTube split screening apps can be easier than on the Pixel. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012

Any way to customise font size on each app?

I know we can increase font size in settings. But I wanted to check if it’s possible to change font size for each app on Galaxy phones.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Case and screen protector arrived, now just waiting on the phone.
a44d4e5832c855c6567b74b35c38771e.jpg

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Any way to customise font size on each app?

I know we can increase font size in settings. But I wanted to check if it’s possible to change font size for each app on Galaxy phones.
Well, that's dictated by the developer.

I know some apps have their own font customization... what apps are you looking to adjust the font size? I can check to see if it's possible. But when multitasking I like seeing as much content as possible. So, I enable Multi-Window Screen Zoom...

Screenshot_20231202_192429.png

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well, I might be transitioning from the Galaxy Watch… although, I truly enjoyed my time with it (no pun intended).

I realized that an Apple Watch can actually be used without an iPhone (shocker!) as long as I’m part of a family plan, I think this is genius of Apple to add this. I’ll be rocking an Apple Watch Ultra, Galaxy Fold and iPad on a daily basis… think it’s going be the best experience I’ve had to date!

I might end up using some prepaid data plan for the iPad… currently I have it tied on to my AT&T family plan paying monthly, use it quite a bit as a GPS when driving. I’ll replace the iPad for the Apple Watch Ultra on my cellular plan! Or I’m curious can an Apple Watch Ultra be used on a prepaid plan?
Data!

Your Data will be incorporated into Samsung health, and accurately?

I've not seen any specific tube video nor information regarding this. This I had contemplate befoe selling my Apple Watch and without I for as I door cyli starts up this wi ter season in Ontario for me was crucial. I've fully left everything Apple, besides this board, and not planning to go back.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Well, that's dictated by the developer.

I know some apps have their own font customization... what apps are you looking to adjust the font size? I can check to see if it's possible. But when multitasking I like seeing as much content as possible. So, I enable Multi-Window Screen Zoom...

View attachment 2320320
You have explained it well

It is just an App by a local service provider

I thought I was missing something on the Galaxy as compared to the iPhone that seem to offer individual font size customisation

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Well, first, I'm a tech addict. Also, I really like android and ios. So, two phones have been my way for several years. Now, I have a work phone (my iphone) and the tablet (Fold 5) to satisfy that craving. The S24 U is for my photography uses (will be). With work, phone calls and texts are the main uses. My tablet is used for office apps (especially spreadsheets), media consumption, and note taking (I love the s pen). Their photography abilities are ok but not on par with the S series (I had an S22 Ultra).

When your phone breaks down like my Fold 4 did, you get skeptical. Now, I didn't baby it so I take some of the blame. The narrow screen on the Fold 5 doesn't really bother me so that change won't affect my decision to upgrade. As stated, they have to make the front screen s pen compatible for me to upgrade. Possibly, I could try the OnePlus Open 2, in the future?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Data!

Your Data will be incorporated into Samsung health, and accurately?
Data? Didn’t actually take that into account. Was mostly concerned with having Apple Ecosystem on the wrist and unfortunately it might be short lived.

Attempting to use an Apple Watch part of a Family Plan group has plenty of missing features (sleep tracking, respiratory rate, irregular heart rhythm notifications… to name a few), but I didn’t really pay attention to it… I was more so excited to use it without an iPhone.

And it definitely works.. able to see my photos and get iMessage. But the major gripe with it thus far… my Apple Music subscription is unavailable on it. According to Apple Community, this has been a problem for years… the Music app shows up on the Apple Watch. But the Music app is non-existent on the Apple Watch app that’s on the iPhone Family Plan group.

The crazy part is I’m wiling to do without the missing features, but not having Apple Music subscription accessible just won’t do. So, I’ll end up going back to the Galaxy Watch... Apple really should put more effort into making it more feature rich because it could actually benefit Android users.

When your phone breaks down like my Fold 4 did, you get skeptical. Now, I didn't baby it so I take some of the blame. The narrow screen on the Fold 5 doesn't really bother me so that change won't affect my decision to upgrade. As stated, they have to make the front screen s pen compatible for me to upgrade. Possibly, I could try the OnePlus Open 2, in the future?
I’m curious.. since you stated using the Fold as a tablet, I would think this means using the inner display majority of the time.. right?

Is it such a deal breaker to have the S-Pen compatible on the outer (cover) display? Not attempting to argue against it… just trying to understand you.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I’m curious.. since you stated using the Fold as a tablet, I would think this means using the inner display majority of the time.. right?

Is it such a deal breaker to have the S-Pen compatible on the outer (cover) display? Not attempting to argue against it… just trying to understand you.
Yes, I use the inner display often. However, it's my main phone and I use the outer display plenty as well. Sometimes, I just want to jot something down without opening the phone. This happens often. If I'm stationary, then, I'll open it up.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
For me, the new s pen sucks. You have to press down hard for it to work. Also, it feels very flimsy. I hope that this is not the future s pen that goes into the Fold. The s pen for the Fold 3 and 4 is the best.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
And I don’t know if it’s just me…. I prefer the look of the Galaxy Watch.

20231204_141442.jpeg

For me, the new s pen sucks. You have to press down hard for it to work. Also, it feels very flimsy. I hope that this is not the future s pen that goes into the Fold. The s pen for the Fold 3 and 4 is the best.
Haven’t tried the new S-Pen… I’m still using the S-Pen for the Galaxy Fold 4.

What about the S-Pen Pro? Have you looked into buying that one?

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
And I don’t know if it’s just me…. I prefer the look of the Galaxy Watch.

View attachment 2321251

Yeah, I've got the Galaxy Watch 6 classic (47 mm). In fact, I'm trading in my Apple Watch 6. Samsung gave me $200 for it. love it. I got the Galaxy Watch for $130 something. can't beat that!

Last edited:

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

Here's comparisons with the new s pen, the Fold 4's pen, and the s pen pro:

Attachments

• 20231205_163535.jpg
    20231205_163535.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • 20231205_164017.jpg
    20231205_164017.jpg
    966.9 KB · Views: 37

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Here's comparisons with the new s pen, the Fold 4's pen, and the s pen pro:
And which stylus do you prefer to use the most? I’ve always desired to buy the S-Pen Pro… but every time I decide against it since my current S-Pen is capable enough.

I was close to buying it one day when I couldn’t find my S-Pen, but luckily it showed up in time.

Yeah, I've got the Galaxy Watch 6 classic (47 mm). In fact, I'm trading in my Apple Watch 6. Samsung gave me $200 for it. love it. I got the Galaxy Watch for $130 something. can't beat that!
Yeah, that’s not bad at all.

I’m still rocking the Classic 4, I inquired about the Classic 4 vs the 6 in the reddit community and majority felt the Classic 6 wasn’t much up an upgrade. So, I think I might wait for the Galaxy Watch 6 Pro.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.