Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SadSSDMAN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
So as the title suggests, I ran the Samsung Performance Restoration Software on my 2 day old 840 EVO.

The whole thing took approximately 8 minutes so I'm wondering, should I have run this a few months from now? Others who have older 840 EVOs said the process took close to an hour.

So I can't rerun the Software either and I'm kinda scared that I messed up on the "Restoration" part and nothing happened at all.

Now while some of you may suggest benchmarking, I really don't know how to read Blackmagic benchmarks and I'm kinda lost in that area at the moment.

SadSSDMAN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
What kind of Mac do you have, and what were the read and write numbers from the test?

Macbook Pro 2012

I didn't take a screenshot

but have the first few writes and reads for 10 Bit YUV 4:2:2
WRITE READ
PAL 412 407
NTSC 482 504
HD720 185 187

SadSSDMAN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
Here is what Blackmagic is showing after the Software was used

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest2.png
    DiskSpeedTest2.png
    738.7 KB · Views: 96

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Macbook Pro 2012

I didn't take a screenshot

but have the first few writes and reads for 10 Bit YUV 4:2:2
WRITE READ
PAL 412 407
NTSC 482 504
HD720 185 187

I see nothing that looks terrible.

If you have apps open and running, that could impact the results. And as to the results, they are simply synthetic. You aren't going to get the published numbers every time etc.

Do you have Trim enabled? If not, that is something to consider. Outside of that, unless the drive starts showing signs of a problem, I would use and enjoy the upgrade from HDD.

Edited to add: I have a Crucial MX100 512GB. It is "rated" for 550/550. I haven't seen those numbers since I installed the drive on 12/29. The most I have seen is 480/520, which is fine. The drive is working as it should. The drive numbers are no different than car manufacturers placing fuel economy numbers on the stickers. Nobody gets the exact numbers.

No need to do test all the time. That just adds unnecessary wear to your drive.

Last edited:

SadSSDMAN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
I see nothing that looks terrible.

If you have apps open and running, that could impact the results. And as to the results, they are simply synthetic. You aren't going to get the published numbers every time etc.

Do you have Trim enabled? If not, that is something to consider. Outside of that, unless the drive starts showing signs of a problem, I would use and enjoy the upgrade from HDD.

Edited to add: I have a Crucial MX100 512GB. It is "rated" for 550/550. I haven't seen those numbers since I installed the drive on 12/29. The most I have seen is 480/520, which is fine. The drive is working as it should. The drive numbers are no different than car manufacturers placing fuel economy numbers on the stickers. Nobody gets the exact numbers.

No need to do test all the time. That just adds unnecessary wear to your drive.

Amazing explanation, I get what you're saying. Black magic's PDF help doc itself states that advertised speeds are not always delivered and I'm cool with that. It's better than my old HDD and that's what matters.

Yes I have TRIM and to tell you the truth...I'm perfectly happy with the SSD. Just wanted to know where it stood next to other 840 EVOs to know if it was faulty or not

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Amazing explanation, I get what you're saying. Black magic's PDF help doc itself states that advertised speeds are not always delivered and I'm cool with that. It's better than my old HDD and that's what matters.

Yes I have TRIM and to tell you the truth...I'm perfectly happy with the SSD. Just wanted to know where it stood next to other 840 EVOs to know if it was faulty or not

This forum is a great place. You just have to be careful not to get sucked into the numbers game, as so many here seem to do. Instead of enjoying their computer, they are constantly running tests and analyzing every single thing.

If your apps start bouncing instead of opening, and your computer starts to show signs of heavy lag or freezing, then you have need to take note.

Just remember to turn off TRIM before you do OS X updates.

Dewdman42

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
In april Samsung updated the firmware and seems to have done away with this performance restoration software. Does that new firmware basically accomplish what the restoration software was doing before...except on a more ongoing basis? Does anyone know?

Also, why is it reccomended to turn off TRIM before OSX updates?

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
In april Samsung updated the firmware and seems to have done away with this performance restoration software. Does that new firmware basically accomplish what the restoration software was doing before...except on a more ongoing basis? Does anyone know?

Also, why is it reccomended to turn off TRIM before OSX updates?

If you enable trim for non OEM drives you have to turn off kext signing. When you update and reboot it will not start up due to the kext singing.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If you enable trim for non OEM drives you have to turn off kext signing. When you update and reboot it will not start up due to the kext singing.

I believe that's only applicable to Yosemite. Kext signing wasn't an issue with Mavericks or earlier versions of OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.