Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Wish I didn't have to start yet another thread about this, but I felt I needed to:

I had a TSMC but had to get a replacement and I was given a Samsung. I knew going in the battery would be worse; but I was willing to deal with it. However, I am constantly experiencing sluggish performance and lag when using the phone (i.e. Unlocking the device there is a 2 sec delay when showing home screen, same delay when opening apps, random freezes when browsing safari etc.). I know this stuff happens occasionally, but I never experienced these many hiccups on my TSMC phone or previous iPhones (even iPhone 6 plus wasn't this laggy)

Reactions: eric3312

TheTom9

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
London, UK
Hey Edis,

I've had this issue everytime I'd exchange my iPhone and set it up, what helped is resetting All Settings in General -> Reset - All Settings and it never froze or lagged again. Even my battery works fine, with heavy use and the watch connected all day it can last from 6am to 11pm.

If even that won't help then try exchanging it, then update the OS without changing any settings or getting apps in, then Do the settings reset.

Hope this helps

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I've had both chips and they both do this. It's a software issue. Do a settings reset as suggested above. If that doesn't work do a DFU restore through iTunes. Between my phones and another family member, I've had four 6s+'s. They all did it, and I fixed them all by an Reset or iTunes Restore. One was a Samsung, one was a TSMC, and I never checked the other two for chip maker.

This definitely had nothing to do with your Samsung chip though.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I agree with the above. Even the TSMC chip does have the sluggish/stutter/lag effect. So I wouldn't just blame it on the Samsung chip. There are many solutions to finding a way to fix the lag issue or simply just wait for the future update for a fix.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I agree with others that you have some sort of "softwareish" something going on. I have a 6s with Samsung chip and experience none of the sluggishness or freezing that you have. Hope you get it straightened out.

I've been very pleased with this phone, battery life included.

Fudd

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
Wish I didn't have to start yet another thread about this, but I felt I needed to:

I had a TSMC but had to get a replacement and I was given a Samsung. I knew going in the battery would be worse; but I was willing to deal with it. However, I am constantly experiencing sluggish performance and lag when using the phone (i.e. Unlocking the device there is a 2 sec delay when showing home screen, same delay when opening apps, random freezes when browsing safari etc.). I know this stuff happens occasionally, but I never experienced these many hiccups on my TSMC phone or previous iPhones (even iPhone 6 plus wasn't this laggy)

Does this problem happen only if you leave the phone alone for about 3-5 minutes and unlock it? If this is the case, it apparently is some initial indexing going on. Hang in there for a day or two and it should go away. I had this lag when I got my replacement and restored but hasn't happened again.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Your sluggishness might be due to a lot of different things but not due to the Samsung chip. My S+ is a TSMC chipped unit while my VP has a Samsung chip in his and there is no detectable difference. I would look elsewhere for your sluggishness.

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2011
Honestly I have had an iPhone 6S and 6S+ both Samsung, and now I have a 6S TSMC and I honestly don't notice any differences. According to an article it said that TSMC is better on battery, but it seems like the same as the Samsung. o_O

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
You should've stuck with your gut feeling to NOT start another ignorant threat about this; it's simply propagating nonsense.

There must be other reasons. The chips will show no noticeable differences in everyday performance.

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
My goodness what a load of nonsense.

Everyone wants to be the "gate" bearer.

To OP, this has nothing to do with who manufactured your processor. Lots of suggestions in the thread about how to resolve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.