Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Please don't bring fanboyism into this. You are better than this.
I'm not I was just replying to somebody saying apple would get murdered for this. I didn't say I agreed with the flack apple got with their products this year but apple got too much bad press for this personally.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I'm not I was just replying to somebody saying apple would get murdered for this. I didn't say I agreed with the flack apple got with their products this year but apple got too much bad press for this personally.

I see. Sorry.

Yeah I think the media did a bit too much..

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If they are using the actual word 'Plus' in the title of this new phone, I would laugh my head off! Just a little bit shameless and unnecessary IMO.

Samsung have their own branding and identity and they need to move away from name dropping Apple in marketing and now using identical terminology for a new product. I'm sure they could have thought of another word that distances itself somewhat. This isn't to say the phone won't be excellent, I just think its a little bland to brand it in such a way. Perhaps this is a joke?

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Forgive me from asking.

So I make a mobile phone.

Months later I am able to select a better chip to make my phone even better for my customers.

I fit the new chip, and naturally wish to identify the slightly improved model with a name tweak.

New customers can now choose to bu this improved model.

And according to these forums this is me being bad.

I should, so it seems, 'Do an Apple' and just do nothing, until a full year is up and only then give customers the chance to have something better from me?

You lot do have a strange sense of what's right.
Agree, Apple would wait a year and call it a "S"...

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
Forgive me from asking.

So I make a mobile phone.

Months later I am able to select a better chip to make my phone even better for my customers.

I fit the new chip, and naturally wish to identify the slightly improved model with a name tweak.

New customers can now choose to bu this improved model.

And according to these forums this is me being bad.

I should, so it seems, 'Do an Apple' and just do nothing, until a full year is up and only then give customers the chance to have something better from me?

You lot do have a strange sense of what's right.

Theres a thing called consumer respect, but i dont expect android consumerism lovers to understand that

Let me ask you this. How long does it take for renault, bmw and rolls royce respectively to come out with a new model?

Thats why apple 'waits'

In my opinion, it should wait 2 years

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Theres a thing called consumer respect, but i dont expect android consumerism lovers to understand that

Let me ask you this. How long does it take for renault, bmw and rolls royce respectively to come out with a new model?

Thats why apple 'waits'

The question is how old are these upset consumers? 10, 12, or 13 ?

At what age do you as a consumer stop acting like a spoilt teenager who wants the best and had a tantrum and stamps their feet when they don't have the best?

Let me ask you this:

I make something, you like it, you know you will have to stick with it for the length of time YOU decide to. YOU can buy it outright, or you can buy it with a contract of your choice.
You love my product as it stands TODAY enough to buy it. You buy it and you are happy with what you have.

In 6 months time I improve it.

This has not made your product you own in any way worse whatsoever, it is exactly the same as it always was.

Why, does this better item from me upset you?

Unless you are a spoilt teen who sees something better and screams to their parents. "I WANT I WANT I WANT" and throws a tantrum.

Whether I release nothing for 2 years or release a new model every month, none of it affects you and the product you bought that you were happy with.

If everyone had that logic, then neither Apple or any other company would sell any product after say late spring. They would sell nothing, as people would know they may buy something and in 6 months or less a new one is coming and they'd throw a tantrum.

But people do but things all the time.

Got forbid you ever buy something, then find out a few months later it's in a sale or some washing power is new and improved.

We don't wish to live in a world that's being held back, just because some people throw a hissy fit because they can't have what they think is the best.

Again. No new product, in any way whatsoever makes the product you own any worse whatsoever, it's a totally made up issue in your mind.
Because you don't want something else having something better than you.

And again, how old are you to think like this?

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
But they do more than shove in a new CPU...
Sure.
You can see this as a Galaxy S5.5, the S6 next year will feature new OS iteration and additional features as the 6S will.

I don't get why some people complain about this, the S5 won't become worse because of it, and nobody is forced to buy it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't care really, but I am puzzled ......

I do find it strange they opted to release this - rather than the S5 LTE A with the 805 / 3GB ram and QHD display that they pushed out to Korea some months ago.

For me the S5 didn't have an issue with its CPU performance, indeed if anything what they should have at least added to the SKU was the extra 1gb of memory they put in the LTE A model, as it would have a far greater tangible benefit to end user than just sticking in a new cpu, that can open 'instagram' and 'Facebook' one quadrillionth of a second faster.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
The question is how old are these upset consumers? 10, 12, or 13 ?

At what age do you as a consumer stop acting like a spoilt teenager who wants the best and had a tantrum and stamps their feet when they don't have the best?

Let me ask you this:

I make something, you like it, you know you will have to stick with it for the length of time YOU decide to. YOU can buy it outright, or you can buy it with a contract of your choice.
You love my product as it stands TODAY enough to buy it. You buy it and you are happy with what you have.

In 6 months time I improve it.

This has not made your product you own in any way worse whatsoever, it is exactly the same as it always was.

Why, does this better item from me upset you?

Unless you are a spoilt teen who sees something better and screams to their parents. "I WANT I WANT I WANT" and throws a tantrum.

Whether I release nothing for 2 years or release a new model every month, none of it affects you and the product you bought that you were happy with.

If everyone had that logic, then neither Apple or any other company would sell any product after say late spring. They would sell nothing, as people would know they may buy something and in 6 months or less a new one is coming and they'd throw a tantrum.

But people do but things all the time.

Got forbid you ever buy something, then find out a few months later it's in a sale or some washing power is new and improved.

We don't wish to live in a world that's being held back, just because some people throw a hissy fit because they can't have what they think is the best.

Again. No new product, in any way whatsoever makes the product you own any worse whatsoever, it's a totally made up issue in your mind.
Because you don't want something else having something better than you.

And again, how old are you to think like this?

you dont understand a fundamental aspect of apple's business

so let me say this again. compare the time it takes for renault, bmw and rolls royce to introduce new model. throw in bang & olufsen too. notice the difference?

now ask your self why is there a difference and what aspect of apple's business mandates that kind of mentality.

hint: no one in the consumer tech business figured it out except apple and samsung would badly want to but they keep making the same mistakes like with this upgraded s5

TheRealCBONE

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
If they are using the actual word 'Plus' in the title of this new phone, I would laugh my head off! Just a little bit shameless and unnecessary IMO.

Samsung have their own branding and identity and they need to move away from name dropping Apple in marketing and now using identical terminology for a new product. I'm sure they could have thought of another word that distances itself somewhat. This isn't to say the phone won't be excellent, I just think its a little bland to brand it in such a way. Perhaps this is a joke?

Did you not see the post showing that Samsung has been using the Plus name for their upgrade devices at least since the original Galaxy S and SII? It had links and everything.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Forget the whole plus thing....who cares....

How many phones has Samsung released this year? It can't be cheap to approach things this way - especially as their mobile division leaks money.

Strikes me as somewhat desperate yet again. I mean the GS5 was a failure. The Alpha has just been released. And the Note 4. Now they bring out the GS5+.....

Come on Samsung. Focus.

There's no time for any hype to be built, any loyalty to be built....you keep slapping people in the face with a new phone every few months. And each one is just slightly better than the last.

What an annoying and exhausting method of upgrading.

TheRealCBONE

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012

so let me say this again. compare the time it takes for renault, bmw and rolls royce to introduce new model. throw in bang & olufsen too. notice the difference?

now ask your self why is there a difference and what aspect of apple's business mandates that kind of mentality.

hint: no one in the consumer tech business figured it out except apple and samsung would badly want to but they keep making the same mistakes like with this upgraded s5

How do you figure it's a mistake for Samsung to make a phone available for people to buy if they want? The people buying high-end Android phones fiend for the new hotness. If Samsung decided not to cater to them, someone else would. No one is making people buy these new phones. These "side story"/niche phones don't hurt anything and Samsung isn't promoting them as flagship devices. If Apple thought they could make more cash by quietly putting out a "side story" phone that got limited release and limited promotion as a test bed for new stuff, they would be releasing the 6++ and the 6- tomorrow.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I got the Note 4 last night ... if they had released the S5 LTE-A I might wonder if that's better ... but so far no, and definitely not the S5 Plus. For average users? Yeah ok.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
How do you figure it's a mistake for Samsung to make a phone available for people to buy if they want? The people buying high-end Android phones fiend for the new hotness. If Samsung decided not to cater to them, someone else would. No one is making people buy these new phones. These "side story"/niche phones don't hurt anything and Samsung isn't promoting them as flagship devices. If Apple thought they could make more cash by quietly putting out a "side story" phone that got limited release and limited promotion as a test bed for new stuff, they would be releasing the 6++ and the 6- tomorrow.

Thing is, Samsung isn't releasing a bunch of "side story" devices.

We're talking flagships - GS5, GS5+, Alpha, Note 4.....all since May.

TheRealCBONE

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
Thing is, Samsung isn't releasing a bunch of "side story" devices.

We're talking flagships - GS5, GS5+, Alpha, Note 4.....all since May.

The Galaxy S5 and the Note 4 are the only flagship devices there. The Alpha has limited release and mid-level parts, the S5+ is the same device as S5 4G+ that had a limited launch in SE Asia with the same model number. Also not a flagship device.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The Galaxy S5 and the Note 4 are the only flagship devices there. The Alpha has limited release and mid-level parts, the S5+ is the same device as S5 4G+ that had a limited launch in SE Asia with the same model number. Also not a flagship device.

Aside from the display resolution, the Alpha actually has top of the line specs. Faster processor than the GS5.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013

OK bud since you like to use cars I'm going to give you an example with mercedes AMG

The 2011 e63 is a naturally aspirated v8 and the 2012 is a twin turbo v8 with more torque and power and the cars look identical! It also gets a hell of a lot better gas mileage

The they used that body style for another year then totally ditched it in 2013 with the 14 model styling that looks totally different and in 2014 they released the e63 S model with even more power and torque and also added all wheel drive.

So in 3 years mercedes amg went through 3 huge changes in the car

Mercedes also does a coupe version of the car a year after its release and then a black series version a year after that and then a final edition version when the car is going out of production.

2011 c63 vs 2012 is totally different interior and in 2012 the added the coupe and the black series and then in 2014 they added the 507 edition

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

Sorry, but I think this is AMAZINGLY Selfish of you or anyone else who thinks this.

Why should YOU dictate to OTHERS what nice things they may enjoy just based upon YOUR views?

How about this, if I act like you are saying:

I buy a device, I like the device as it stands. it does what I want for the price I'm willing to pay. I decide of my own free will, I will take the option of a one or two year contract to get the device cheap.

3 or 4 months later. The maker of the device, finds by making a change they can make this device a little better for new buyers.

I say NOOO STOP You must not do that. Other people must not have the option of something better than ME. I have got my device, and as I wanted it cheap, I signed up for a year.

You are not allowed to make this item better for others, as I won't be in a position yet to have it.

I want everyone to have the same item as ME, until I am free and ready to have it also.

Only when I am ready, can other people be allowed to have this better device.

WOW How bloody selfish I would be be if I said that.

And that is "EXACTLY" what you are saying.

YOU think they should hold off making it better when they can as YOU won't be able to have it, and other people will.

Shame on you. That's a terrible attitude.

Can you imagine how you would feel not being able to have something better because I didn't want you to?

THINK OF OTHERS not just yourself!

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I wish Samsung would release this in the US but there's no chance it makes it over here.

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013

Thats why apple 'waits'

Did Apple also do the same thing with IPad 3 by released IPad 4? IIRC, it was only 4 months later.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Nope the exynos Alpha scores higher benchmarks than the HTC M8 and S5 or the Xperia Z3

Other than screen resolution, it's top of the line spec wise.

Aside from the display resolution, the Alpha actually has top of the line specs. Faster processor than the GS5.

Exactly. Why people have this misconception ?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Nope the exynos Alpha scores higher benchmarks than the HTC M8 and S5 or the Xperia Z3

Other than screen resolution, it's top of the line spec wise.

Exactly. Why people have this misconception ?

Cuz they wanna believe samsung isn't desperate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.