Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The research has already been done.

The courts have ordered Samsung to hand over the goods to Apple.

Now we're waiting for Apple's next move.

1. No it hasn't

2. And? Samsung filed for the same treatment.

3. There isn't much Apple can do, this reminds me of the early lawsuit of Apple v Microsoft for copying the look and feel of Mac OS into Windows 1.x

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
this one
Samsung-Galaxy-S-cell-phone-04.jpg

and they look like it from the angles and POV that SAMSUNG themselves market it!!! that's the whole point!

That one ? You're sure :

Final_Samsung_Galaxy_S_Front_Side_Back.jpg.jpg

Oops, different angles tell a different story. From the side, no similarity. From the back, no similarity. Do I need to go into details here ?

From the front ? Only if you believe the bevel is actually chrome and not blackish. It's also a different shape (it's not flush with the screen like the 3GS's and 3G's bevel). The home button is quite different and there are 2 extra capacitive buttons on the front. Not to mention the big SAMSUNG right there... It's also much bigger than the iPhone :

Samsung+Galaxy+S+i9000_1.JPG

The UI is the same ? Not really :

samsung-galaxy-s-i9000-16gb-extralarge.jpg

Where's the icon grid ? Notice also the page indicators, while round and in a line, they are completely different from iOS. This is the homescreen, no icon grid there. Only a dock with widgets. Sure can't confuse that with iOS...

Again, if you go outside the media hype on this story, you can see this isn't going to be an easy win for Apple. And the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 is only 1 model of Samsung Galaxy S line-up, the other phones are quite different and if you mistake them for iPhones, I have bad news for you :

Epic :

SamsungGalaxySEpic4GSPHD700ManualUserGuidePDF.jpg

Fascinate :

Verizon-Samsung-Galaxy-S-Fascinate.jpg

Captivate :

galaxy-s-captivate.jpg

Vibrant (this is the only other model based on the i9000) :

samsung-vibrant-galaxy-s-phone.jpg

So please guys, again, go beyond the Apple cherry picked evidence pictures go and try to look at this objectively. This isn't the blatant copying it's made out to be.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
The sooner Apple realise they cant stop the power of Android the better. If they spent less time trying to sue people they might have been able to make iOS have decent notifications and widgets. :rolleyes:

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
The sooner Apple realise they cant stop the power of Android the better. If they spent less time trying to sue people they might have been able to make iOS have decent notifications and widgets. :rolleyes:

The power of Android? Is that why Apple's suing Samsung for blatantly copying iOS and why Apple's *not* getting sued for copying Android? :rolleyes:

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
.. and Apple will end up owning very large chunks of Samsung, Google, Nokia and HTC, as they deserve...

They all copy off of each other to some degree... this is just an exceptional case where it's 'blatant' copying of trade dress, etc.

... Apple will still win in the marketplace.

The data does not fully support this. Apple is keeping it's market share (barely) in smartphones, but is currently dominating in the tablet market.

... Apple is the only one who is being innovative...

I'm not so sure it's the only one but it does have a knack for putting together lots of new features, marketing to the right audience, and timing it well.

... People know Apple is innovative...

Completely agree.
It baffles me on how techies will keep grasping back into history pulling up odd facts trying prove something; or arguing right down to the grammer and word meanings & definitions; attributing success to just hype ... but when you talk to most people, they still know Apple as innovative.

Apple has anticipated products (hype or otherwise, it's new and fresh to most people) ... I don't see SamsungRumors.com, or SamsungInsider.com, 9to5 Galaxy S as being too popular. I wonder why?

Even the apple haters are hating out of jealousy more than anything else.

I think it's just that apple isn't suited for everyone and people have different experience/needs/biases and viewpoints, and many like to express their points of views... some more vehement than others...

ShiningShiny

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
this one
Samsung-Galaxy-S-cell-phone-04.jpg

and they look like it from the angles and POV that SAMSUNG themselves market it!!! that's the whole point!

like i said, compare the HTC phones, the Motorola phones and the windows phones, do any of them look remotely like the iPhone? no. Unlike Samsung.

Actually, i know a few people who are not tech heads, who confused the 2 as they saw a galaxy s that had the samsung logo removed off the front, so it can be done. people on here are too much technical minded to be a fair judge.

plus some networks in the UK were giving away the Galaxy S for free on contract whilst the iPhone was still going for £200 or so on contract, so yea, the Galaxy S would be cheaper.

Oh, didn't know about that, well then, yeah, of course if it's cheaper in the UK, then that makes a valid point.

But I don't know why your friends ever ran across models that didn't have the Samsung logo o_O I might just be ignorant, but from all the various Galaxy models I've seen marketed, every single one of them had the big Samsung logo on the phone.

fjpoblam

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
Strange you sould say so

I really wish the guys who invented the alphabet and the wheel would still be around and sue the **** out of schools and the entire automobile industry. Hey, maybe we could even resurrect Johannes Gensfleisch zum Gutenberg to sue the crap out of the publishing industry for using unlicensed printing machines.

That would teach the world how ridiculously stupid the ideas of "intellectual property" and patents are.

Only huge corporations actually benefit from the patent and intellectual property system as it is (just try suing a billion dollar corporation for not respecting your patent when you are a one man shop), so all we can do is hope that they ruin themselves with it.

(From Uncle John's Bathroom Reader:) "To demonstrate flaws in the patent system, in 2001 an Australian lawyer patented the wheel." :D

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
So please guys, again, go beyond the Apple cherry picked evidence pictures go and try to look at this objectively. This isn't the blatant copying it's made out to be.

haha, Apple cherry picked??? SAMSUNG marketed the Galaxy S (i9000, whatever you wanna call it) with the angles/POV that make it look like the iPhone and with the iOS ripoff app drawer as a home screen!

look here on the list of samsung phones on their own site - http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/type/viewall.do?group=mobile-devices&type=smartphones

but funny that you decide to ignore that whole fact..........

EDIT - Look at this pic from the samsung site, ripping off iBooks!

galaxys_feature2.jpg

Oh, didn't know about that, well then, yeah, of course if it's cheaper in the UK, then that makes a valid point.

But I don't know why your friends ever ran across models that didn't have the Samsung logo o_O I might just be ignorant, but from all the various Galaxy models I've seen marketed, every single one of them had the big Samsung logo on the phone.

i've seen quite a few over here that don't have it on the front, not sure if its a carrier thing or what.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

In the UK, the iPhone 4 is also offered free by some carriers, so his point isn't valid at all. :rolleyes:

haha, Apple cherry picked??? SAMSUNG marketed the Galaxy S (i9000, whatever you wanna call it) with the angles/POV that make it look like the iPhone and with the iOS ripoff app drawer as a home screen!

but funny that you decide to ignore that whole fact..........

Irrelevant, design patents don't cover marketing material, only actual design. And how did I find all those shots of the Samsung phones not looking like the iPhone if Samsung only made promo shots that do look like iPhone ? Maybe I'm some sort of Wizard ? :rolleyes:

Drop the "Apple is never in the wrong!". Let's let the courts decide this one.

EDIT - Look at this pic from the samsung site, ripping off iBooks!

Just saw that edit. You do realise that is the most ironic and funny thing I've read. iBooks ripped their UI right out of Delicious Library... I guess that's why Apple didn't include that one in their lawsuit, so that they didn't look like a bunch of hypocrites. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
In the UK, the iPhone 4 is also offered free by some carriers, so his point isn't valid at all. :rolleyes:

Irrelevant, design patents don't cover marketing material, only actual design. And how did I find all those shots of the Samsung phones not looking like the iPhone if Samsung only made promo shots that do look like iPhone ? Maybe I'm some sort of Wizard ? :rolleyes:

Drop the "Apple is never in the wrong!". Let's let the courts decide this one.

As i said, 90% of the pics are with the app drawer that rips off iOS, but nice to see you're twisting things. plus design wise to does look like the iPhone from the front. this whole lawsuit would have been thrown out by now if there was no merit to the claims, so really you've already been proven wrong.

I never said apple is never in the wrong, hell i am waiting for a new notification system for starters. I'm not a fan of Mac, i love windows 7.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
this whole lawsuit would have been thrown out by now if there was no merit to the claims, so really you've already been proven wrong.

Uh ? Haven't been following US Justice much ? Lawsuits like this take years, even though they don't have merit. Look at SCO v IBM and SCO v. Novell. Still not resolved even though SCO were proved in court during discovery to have no case at all back in 2004...

I've addressed both your other points, choose to ignore my points and we can't have a meaningful discussion about this. From the front, they don't even look the same (bevel is black and different shaped, buttons are different, size is different) and the marketing shots are not what you make them out to be (Samsung uses all sorts of shots).

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Uh ? Haven't been following US Justice much ? Lawsuits like this take years, even though they don't have merit. Look at SCO v IBM and SCO v. Novell. Still not resolved even though SCO were proved in court during discovery to have no case at all back in 2004...

I've addressed both your other points, choose to ignore my points and we can't have a meaningful discussion about this. From the front, they don't even look the same (bevel is black and different shaped, buttons are different, size is different) and the marketing shots are not what you make them out to be (Samsung uses all sorts of shots).

it's funny you didn't comment on the fact that samsung's own site, the link i provided, shows the samsung galaxy s (i900 to be specific), marketed from the front with the app drawer up as a main screen, looking just like an iPhone ripoff....

enough people have commented on it looking like a cheap knockoff, so there's merit to it.

again, look at the HTC phones, Motorola phones, etc, not a single one of them looks like an iPhone from any angle.

but i'll leave you to your denial.

and no, i've not followed US justice as i'm not american and i have a life......

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Apple should be looking for new vendors however and the minute the contract is up ensure everything Samsung is removed from their products.

First you half to take into consideration the capital investment required to produce such products. Secondly, if you start using multiple vendors there is considerable amount of risk with mixing and matching parts. Capacity is always an issue at manufacturing plants.
Making a semiconductor device can take up to 65 days from raw materials to the chip without it's packaging.
The numbers needed by Apple can not easily be met by many.
However, there is one company with significant fab space looking for customers. Intel stands to become a strong partner of apple because of their manufacturing capacity.
Samsung will continue forging ahead with the hundreds ofnother products they produce

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
but i'll leave you to your denial.

Funny how I'm in denial, yet I seem to be the only that bothered checking the phone from every angle and bothered to find out about the UI behind it. :rolleyes:

Where is the denial in my posts ? I'm just saying this isn't as clear cut as some of you make it out to be by using words like "blatant" and "rip-off".

Seems to be it's you guys that are in denial that this might not be as clear cut as you think it is.

and no, i've not followed US justice as i'm not american and i have a life......

Then how can you make statements like the fact this wasn't thrown out so it has merit ? If you don't know US justice, don't comment US justice.

Anyway, I don't know why I keep arguing with you, the fact is, the courts will decide the outcome. No matter what happens, my life is not impacted by this at all, nor do I worship Apple enough to prevent me from sleeping at night.

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
Watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

Right from the mouth of Jobs:
"Good artists copy but great artists steal"
So Samaung are great artists cause they stole (ideas) from Apple?

True. That's a very popular video.

Sure samsung have done a great job looking at some of the features, the iPhone was popular for; or in other words - symbolic.

But that's not the point. Most of the features, the iPhone had were copied... copied is not a good word here.
Most of the features, the iPhone had were implemented and conceived by other phones in a much appreciable/commendable way.

Samsung in my opinion, went to far to actually mimic the iPhone for what it was. I won't call that a steal. That's just sad to me.

With so many resources, they could have done much better without mimicking the iPhone in a lot of respects.

You wouldn't know, Samsung could have come out with TouchWiz 5.0 with Helvetica and very similar icons. Who knows.

There's a point and then it gets dirty.

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
That one ? You're sure :

Final_Samsung_Galaxy_S_Front_Side_Back.jpg.jpg

Oops, different angles tell a different story. From the side, no similarity. From the back, no similarity. Do I need to go into details here ?

From the front ? Only if you believe the bevel is actually chrome and not blackish. It's also a different shape (it's not flush with the screen like the 3GS's and 3G's bevel). The home button is quite different and there are 2 extra capacitive buttons on the front. Not to mention the big SAMSUNG right there... It's also much bigger than the iPhone :

Samsung+Galaxy+S+i9000_1.JPG

The UI is the same ? Not really :

samsung-galaxy-s-i9000-16gb-extralarge.jpg

Where's the icon grid ? Notice also the page indicators, while round and in a line, they are completely different from iOS. This is the homescreen, no icon grid there. Only a dock with widgets. Sure can't confuse that with iOS...

Again, if you go outside the media hype on this story, you can see this isn't going to be an easy win for Apple. And the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 is only 1 model of Samsung Galaxy S line-up, the other phones are quite different and if you mistake them for iPhones, I have bad news for you :

Epic :

SamsungGalaxySEpic4GSPHD700ManualUserGuidePDF.jpg

Fascinate :

Verizon-Samsung-Galaxy-S-Fascinate.jpg

Captivate :

galaxy-s-captivate.jpg

Vibrant (this is the only other model based on the i9000) :

samsung-vibrant-galaxy-s-phone.jpg

SOME of Samsung's interface designs clearly copy Apples. No question.

It is actually YOU that are Cherry picking images. All you have proven is that while Samsung clearly ripped off a lot of Apple's look and feel, they didn't copy everything. Good job, but Apple has no problem with areas that don't mimic their work.

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
SOME of Samsung's interface designs clearly copy Apples. No question.

It is actually YOU that are Cherry picking images. All you have proven is that while Samsung clearly ripped off a lot of Apple's look and feel, they didn't copy everything. Good job, but Apple has no problem with areas that don't mimic their work.

No matter what happens, is your life impacted by this at all? Is your Apple worship preventing you from sleeping at night?

Hey, be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.