Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Hi there,

So I bought a used T5 from ebay to use specifically as a back up drive for my large iCloud Photo Library. Yesterday I selected a few hundred pictures starting from the beginning of my library, clicked Saved To Files, waited for them to download from the Cloud and saved them onto my drive. Seemed straight forward enough.

When I plugged the drive this morning, the folder I created was there but was empty. I repeated the process copying over 1000+ images, all seemed well, then after disconnecting and reconnecting the drive again nothing seems to be displaying in the folder.

I think that it might have been used by its original owner as an Android accessory, so I was wondering if it needs formatting - and of so can that be done on iOS. Other question is whether my workflow is the right way to do it?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

C.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Here’s a good place to start…

Reactions: sparksd

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
What file system did you use when you initially set up the drive?

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Well that’s one of the questions I was looking for an answer to - I haven’t formatted it and not sure I know how to on iOS?
Another behaviour I am finding with this is that if I copy a selection of images to T5/Desktop then they stay there after the drive is disconnected and reconnected. However if I copy them to T5/Desktop/Created Folder they disappear.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
It’s a safe assumption it’s a Windows centric file system. That “can” work but, on iOS, has been shown to at times result in corrupted file transfers. There's a long thread on it somewhere. Quite alarming if one forgets its focused on Windows users, using iOS and an exFAT file system.

If you're a Mac user: You need to find a Mac and format it APFS (encrypted if you like), GUID. If you’re a Windows user: Leave drive as is, don't use the Files app. Try using Filebrowser Pro.

Reactions: lungbutter

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
I am neither a Mac not Windows user though, I am iPad only thus the question about how you might format a drive like this using iOS?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
the T5 is probably formated ExFat. You use Apple’s Files on the iPad Pro to copy your files? As well as to create the folders you want to copy files to? The thread linked above will offer more insight and information, but just in case

TL;DR: get and use FileBrowserGo/Pro or FE FileExplorer to do data management including copying to external media on your iPad.

Reactions: sparksd

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I am neither a Mac not Windows user though, I am iPad only thus the question about how you might format a drive like this using iOS?
Suspected that. Hope you last longer than I did. I went about 6 months before i threw in the towel and picked up an MBA.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
at the moment (iPadOS 15.x) there is no way to format any external media. you have to use a computer with Windows, MacOS or Linux for that.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
the T5 is probably formated ExFat. You use Apple’s Files on the iPad Pro to copy your files? As well as to create the folders you want to copy files to? The thread linked above will offer more insight and information, but just in case

TL;DR: get and use FileBrowserGo/Pro or FE FileExplorer to do data management including copying to external media on your iPad.

Agree. I'm the OP on that linked long thread and now exclusively use FileBrowser Pro with exFAT attached storage. I can readily recreate the file corruption issue using Files but have done the same operations with FB Pro and never run into a problem.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Thanks for the replies, though I’m just as confused as when I started!

I note the comments about needing to format the drive which seems odd for so-called plug and play drives which many people will want to use with their iPad without access to Macs. So if I find someone with a Mac and ask them to format it for me, then all should work normally? And as I suggested, I’m actually achieving something with the drive in its current state - just not what I need. If I copy a selection of images to T5/ Desktop then they preserve just fine. If I then move them into T5 / Desktop / Created Folder they disappear. Any ideas on that?

I have had a look at FilebrowserGo and cannot seem to do anything useful with it on the free version. I have 70,000 images to eventually back up and you can’t seem to select a sweep of images by dragging your finger across to the bottom right and down as you can in Photos. FBG wants you to select an image at a time and won’t let me drag a folder over in its entirety.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.