Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Got to love the HD screens on the notebooks. The retina screen is the entire point of the MacBook. More clueless copying from Samsung. I can't even imagine they have a market for these things. People buy Apple for the quality, even if they want to run Windows. I guess like all their products, they need something for unscrupulous salespeople to steer trusting buyers toward.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Actually a HD screen on the small one is probably a good idea. Like the MBA 13 it gives better battery life without cratering performance like certain MBs I know

Last edited:

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I don't know, man. The Gear S2 does actually look like a watch. The Apple Watch doesn't. It's a square.

Another, its not round so it doesn't look like a watch! You very much so made the point of the poster before you. LOL To those that think Apple made this to compete with those watches that look like a fine piece of jewelry! REALLY? LOL Apple made this to be a companion to the iPhone and so it is.

I won't say the Samsung designs are ugly, but after having owned the Note 3 and then 4, I will never own anything Samsung again. There support after they sell something is horrid and honestly they border on selling straight up junk. Samsung has learned you can sucker buyers by making it look pretty, but the problem is what you eventually end up with. The Verge are idiots, I would expect nothing more from them. LOL

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
I like my apple watch fine, but i would like it a lot more if they i could type on it. Even the old phone keypad texting system that the Samsung watches would be acceptable at this point. Just SOMETHING. If the whole point is that I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket, I should at least be able to communicate in texts without having to use the phone or my voice or just clicking the canned responses.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
That Notebook 9 sounds impressive. 1.84lbs? That's amazingly light. And apparently it's using ULV i5 and i7 CPUs (not a Core-M) with active cooling, so the performance should be good. I wonder how much battery life they can squeeze into such a super-thin notebook though.

I think that's the tradeoff. It manages a Core i7 processor and more I/O than the MacBook at a similar weight. But according to the Verge it seemed to only have 4-5 hour battery life. Personally I am waiting for to compare the 2nd-gen MacBook with a Retina Air and see which one fits me better!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/5/10714528/samsung-notebook-9-windows-10-laptop-announced-ces-2016

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Juli

Please fix the post. The Gear S2 is compatible with any Android phone running 4.4 or higher and with 1.5GB of RAM.
http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-s2/device-compatibility/
Also you're only showing the S2 Classic. The S2 has a different design. The classic looks better, imo, but some might prefer the more sporty S2.

On topic: Compatibility across ecosystems is smart (consumer perspective). It gives consumers more choice. I'm not a fan of smart watches in general, but on it's 5th or 6th try, Samsung did a pretty good job. The watch looks nice. Looking at it, you wouldn't think smartwatch. To me, that's a good thing. Gun to head, I'd get the S2 Classic or the Withings. Higher end, the Tag.

justinhu8

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
That Notebook 9 sounds impressive. 1.84lbs? That's amazingly light. And apparently it's using ULV i5 and i7 CPUs (not a Core-M) with active cooling, so the performance should be good. I wonder how much battery life they can squeeze into such a super-thin notebook though.
Them plastic though

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I actually think the giant dial is rather unattractive and unnecessary. Imagine getting things stuck in that thing... I much prefer the small and elegant digital crown on the Apple Watch.
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you imagine getting caught in it, that you might not get caught in the Digital Crown of the Watch?

Because I'm not really familiar with the massive problem plaguing divers watches and the cottage industry that has sprung up around getting things unstuck from the rotating bezels ...

justinhu8

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
I don't like how the display is recessed. And the design of the bezel on these is kind of ugly IMO. I think they work better on the more sporty version of the watch.
I actually like the screen being recessed in that way. It makes so that its harder to crack or to get scratches on the display
[doublepost=1452058183][/doublepost]
The Verge is a joke lol. But hey maybe the people who have used it are wrong, maybe it's 1000000000 times better than Apple Watch.
Well, most reviews gush about the bezel. But hey maybe the multiple professional reviewers who have used it are wrong, maybe it's 1000000000 times worse than Apple Watch

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
I actually like the screen being recessed in that way. It makes so that its harder to crack or to get scratches on the display
[doublepost=1452058183][/doublepost]
Well, most reviews gush about the bezel. But hey maybe the multiple professional reviewers who have used it are wrong, maybe it's 1000000000 times worse than Apple Watch

Please feel free to provide citation.

And the verge is still a joke.

Reactions: bobob

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
So it works with Android or iOS, but will it work with my record player and my rotary phone?

Seriously, nobody needs a watch.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
At least they look like watches...

...and not cheap toys like the Watch

So if it looks like a traditional watch, it does not look cheap? Because the ocean of cheap traditional watches don't look cheap? And why does my watch have to look the same as my grandpa's watch? Don't get this thing about having smart watches looking like traditional mechanical ones.

Reactions: polee and bobob

Adithya007

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
But not a smartwatch designed that way!
I do like that they have hidden the bezel for the display under the metal trim of the watch
[doublepost=1452036999][/doublepost]

its a watch, most people find watches from way before the 90s to be very attractive

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
So if it looks like a traditional watch, it does not look cheap? Because the ocean of cheap traditional watches don't look cheap? And why does my watch have to look the same as my grandpa's watch? Don't get this thing about having smart watches looking like traditional mechanical ones.
Maybe because people like the way traditional watches look?

I've had a good look at the Apple Watch and still think it's the best looking smartwatch I've seen so far. I've tried it on and demoed the features and it looks and feels like a decent quality product. It wears nicely on the wrist and the size is good for me (42mm) and I don't think it's too thick like may others do.
I'm still not sure about how useful a smartwatch would be for me but if I was going to get one the Apple Watch would be the best bet for me because I'm firmly encamped in the Apple ecosystem. The main reason I haven't bought one is despite thinking it's the best looking smartwatch I've seen so far, I still don't like how it looks. I don't like the shape and think it's a bit bland looking so I'll wait and see if the 2nd gen brings any different designs.

While there are plenty of finish and strap choices available for the Apple Watch there is only one basic design which isn't good if you don't like that basic design.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I'm curious. The Verge can't stop gushing about the rotational dial. Why do you hate it?

The Verge is in love with Samsung and Nigel, the idiot, has made a fool of himself reviewing the Apple Watch.
At least they look like watches...

...and not cheap toys like the Watch

You haven't seen either watches seemingly, the one that looks like the cheap toy in person is those god damn awful Samsung like watches at best buy in the alley no one goes into...
[doublepost=1452073284][/doublepost]
I think these things are beautiful, at least the way these are presented. The nice thing about these is that it increases the usage of the devices.

A rising tide lifts all boats, which is great, unless you're on a submarine.

In person, they look like total crap, while the Apple watch actually looks better in person!

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I like the regular Gear S2 better
samsung-gear-s2-hand-on-ifa-2015-sg-221-1280x720.jpg

Reactions: Someyoungguy

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I don't know, man. The Gear S2 does actually look like a watch. The Apple Watch doesn't. It's a square.
This seems like such a silly argument. Many quite fashionable watches have been rectangular over the decades. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. (The Apple Watch, by the way, is most definitely rectangular, not square.) Watches traditionally have been stuck with the round shape, because they relied upon rotating parts, and could only really indicate time in a circular fashion. If circular displays are natural and important... are you reading this on a round smartphone display, a round laptop display, or a round desktop display? Before the car came along, horses were the ultimate in personal transportation for thousands of years. So naturally all the best cars look just like horses, right?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.