Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Don't know why everyone thinks this is such a huge market. There hasn't been much to prove it yet.

teco221

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
Just like Eric Schmidt

For next two years, Samesung will have a lot of products like Apple, because Apple must tell Samesung certain new projects to see if they are able to produce. Just like Eric Schmidt sat on Apple board and knew all about it then secretly told their engineers to develop it.

That's how Samsung won over television. Sony trusted a tiny company in S Korea called "Gold Star" to manufacture it's TV, but Sony didn't know one day that tiny company would steal its technology then turn around called itself Samesung and made the same tv but without all the R&D and cut the price in half to kill Sony.

Renzatic

Suspended
Just like Eric Schmidt sat on Apple board and knew all about it then secretly told their engineers to develop it.

Gawwwddd. Where do you people get these already thousands of times debunked rumors from anyway? Is there like a board everyone goes to where you all do nothing but spin unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about the tech industry for hours on end or something?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
But other companies beat them both anyway? There was even that phone watch a few years ago.

The whole samsung vs apple thing is getting so tiresome.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
It's a preemtive move by Samsung. They release fake screenshots so when iWatch comes out, Samsung could copy it and say "look, it's not a copy, we were working on watches way before Apple! Haven't you seen those leaked images?"

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Gawwwddd. Where do you people get these already thousands of times debunked rumors from anyway? Is there like a board everyone goes to where you all do nothing but spin unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about the tech industry for hours on end or something?

Oh great, now you did it. You are going to have all these conspiracy theory junkies wondering why they didn't get the secret invitation to the private message board. I bet Samsung black-balled them....

:)

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
But other companies beat them both anyway? There was even that phone watch a few years ago.

The whole samsung vs apple thing is getting so tiresome.

yup

A watch phone is a smartwatch that doubles as a mobile phone. The first watch phone was a 1999 Samsung SPH-WP10.[1][2] The newer watch phones are made by companies including LG, Samsung, Swap and Phenom. The benefits of a watch phone include being instantly accessible to answer calls, difficult to lose or forget, not likely to be dropped, and difficult to steal. Several Chinese companies offer watch phones at a starting price of around US$89.[3]

granted that's from Wikipedia

Renzatic

Suspended
Oh great, now you did it. You are going to have all these conspiracy theory junkies wondering why they didn't get the secret invitation to the private message board. I bet Samsung black-balled them....

:)

Samsung...in cahoots with Google...with Eric Schmidt egging their house in the middle of the night. They're the ones keeping most people away from the conspiracy boards. They don't want anyone to know what they do, and they're willing to go to any lengths necessary to stop the Truth from spreading.

Also FEMA.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Do people really want these hipster watches?

I will pass on these things for sure. I regular nice watch and my phone is good enough for me.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Why not let them release it, so Apple can learn from Samsung's mistakes...

It seems like they are trying to match nearly every major Apple product. Oh well, competition is good. Samsung will have their own OS soon, and won't run Android.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Competition is always good for consumer even if most (maybe just the most vocal shall I say) of you wish there was only apple in the world.

I agree, and I very much hope to see Samsung do more competing with innovation and less with copying. Copying is no good for the consumer--it's anti-choice. I want more CHOICE in the market, and less of "Apple + Apple clones." What can Samsung do all on their own? I'd like to see consumers be able to buy that.

What is it with these watches all of a sudden? With people who actually wear watches being pretty slim these days, is there really a market here?

The idea I'm sure is that it's not really a watch. Just called that because it's on your wrist. It's another kind of device entirely, with time-telling being one of it's less important abilities.

An analogy a few years ago would be: "Almost nobody uses tablets. Why would Apple make one?"

As for why it's suddenly a "big deal" to report on... several reasons:

a) Apple is rumored to do it. (And they already started, a little, with the former Nano.)

b) ... um... no, that's about it. The media inflates vague Apple possibilities into big deals.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Square iPod Nano anyone?

I've had a Nano for a couple of years with a wrist band. I mainly use it to work out but it could easily be converted into a smart watch.

Maybe Apple had the iWatch concept and didn't realize it... :rolleyes:

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
For next two years, Samesung will have a lot of products like Apple, because Apple must tell Samesung certain new projects to see if they are able to produce. Just like Eric Schmidt sat on Apple board and knew all about it then secretly told their engineers to develop it.

That's how Samsung won over television. Sony trusted a tiny company in S Korea called "Gold Star" to manufacture it's TV, but Sony didn't know one day that tiny company would steal its technology then turn around called itself Samesung and made the same tv but without all the R&D and cut the price in half to kill Sony.

I am pretty sure GoldStar refers to LG?

When Lucky and GoldStart combined they called it LG ;)

Munch

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006

:confused: I didn't know it was possible to cram so much misinformation in one post. The most obvious one: GoldStar became LG. Samsung was always Samsung.

need4speed

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Bay Area, CA
Whose design will samsung steal...

So whose design will samsung steal this time? These guys are not leaders in innovations. They are nothing but copy cats. So who cares if they beat Apple. If Apple does come out with a watch, they will blow Samsung out of the water.

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
Insert Witty Remark Here.

Watch out Apple.

So apple will be seconds to market?

Will these watches prove popular? Only time will tell.

Samsung really tick me off.

Alarming!

Can't wait for the 5 inch version.

--------------------------
Take your pick

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
I want my PEBBLE!!! =(

I was not too concerned about the delays in getting my Pebble...at first. If an Apple iWatch and a Samsung andwatch come out before I receive it though, I will be annoyed. :mad:

Yes, I know of the other smartish watches out there. I wanted one that worked with my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.