Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
That's changing. Sharp is producing the IGZO display. Plus, it's a chicken and egg situation with the other suppliers. Until they start getting big orders, they won't have the money to invest in capacity. That's probably why the shift has been gradual.

I'm hoping this is happening because Apple are now certain that IGZO can live up to the promises and will be switching over to this new tech supplied by Sharp.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
So Apple should just continue to use a company that steals its technology and its economies of scale in order to produce a competing product. Make sense to me

No, Apple should take all that money they are giving that company and give it to several Chinese firms instead. The Chinese firms have a very honorable reputation for not creating even more explicit knockoffs. Kill Samsung (but not really) and create several other Samsungs. Now that's a great strategy!:rolleyes:

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
Apple needs to pick its fights. This won't hurt Samsung nearly as much as it will Apple and it's the iCustomer's who will bear the brunt of this unholy divorce.

Apple is willing to give up:

Samsung Displays - demonstrably the best Apple display's currently manufactured

Samsung Fabrication - responsable for every Ax processor in every iDevice (iPhones, iOS iPods and iPads) for the last five years

Samsung Memory - the market leader in DDR memory, and developing 20nm RAM for even more power efficient delivery

Samsung SSD - The PM830 (Samsung 830 OEM Version) is the most used SSD in the business, renowned for possessing the triumvirate of great speed, great price and great reliability. Not to mention the 840 Pro which is currently the fastest SSD in the world.

Also, Samsung is one of the only SSD vendors in the world who can produce a SSD controller capable of addressing more 64x8GB of NAND which is the sole reason 768GB SSDs exist in the rMBP.

The result of Apple's myopia is this:

Samsung Display and Samsung Fabs moves their lost business to Samsung Electronics, Amazon and other customers. :cool:

Apple moves their business to inferior products and counts on customer credulity to tolerate the difference. :mad:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Apple needs to pick its fights. This won't hurt Samsung nearly as much as it will Apple and it's the iCustomer's who will bear the brunt of this unholy divorce.

Apple is willing to give up:

Samsung Displays - demonstrably the best Apple display's currently manufactured

Samsung Fabrication - responsable for every Ax processor in every iDevice (iPhones, iOS iPods and iPads) for the last five years

Samsung Memory - the market leader in DDR memory, and developing 20nm RAM for even more power efficient delivery

Samsung SSD - The PM830 (Samsung 830 OEM Version) is the most used SSD in the business, renowned for possessing the triumvirate of great speed, great price and great reliability. Not to mention the 840 Pro which is currently the fastest SSD in the world.

Also, Samsung is one of the only SSD vendors in the world who can produce a SSD controller capable of addressing more 64x8GB of NAND which is the sole reason 768GB SSDs exist in the rMBP.

The result of Apple's myopia is this:

Samsung Display and Samsung Fabs moves their lost business to Samsung Electronics, Amazon and other customers. :cool:

Apple moves their business to inferior products and counts on customer credulity to tolerate the difference. :mad:

Excellent post! At least some here can see beyond the end of their nose.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Why we need Samsung:

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...by-image-retention-increasingly-unhappy-users

Apple sources its rMBP panels from both LG and Samsung, but the affected users almost all have LG panels. The cause, at least according to Wikipedia, is unclear. Image persistence may be caused by “accumulation of ionic impurities inside the LCD, electric charge building up near the electrodes, parasitic capacitance, or a DC voltage component that occurs unavoidably in some display pixels owing to anisotropy in the dielectric constant of the liquid crystal.”

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1389918/

I confirmed my GF's 2011 13" has a samsung panel, my 2012 13" is LG. The text on my screen is clearly worse due to the decrease in contrast.

MacBook Air Screen Quality Issues (LG display)

http://youtu.be/rKFwX0yVny0

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Well they are the best. LG displays don't look in the same league as the Samsung's.

Because you say so? The quality of panels that they can supply would be mostly unknown if your not in the OEM business as far as I can tell. Or do you have anything to back that up that is not individual tests of finished products.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Not good - considering that the LG retina Macbook Pro displays have serious image retention problems - while the Samsung ones do not...

For the really high res stuff I dare say Apple will be looking to Sharp. The IGZO displays are now starting to appear and reports suggest they are fantastic quality. LG will almost certainly have sorted out problems with the retina displays by next year and this will no longer be an issue. The new panels with in cell touch sensors shows that their other partners are capable of producing fine quality displays. There are of course other suppliers than LG and Sharp that Apple are using and I suspect Apple are well coverred in this area. Tim Cook is a supply chain expert after all and is unlikely to leave Apple vulnerable in this respect. The problems with available panel quantites this year have been down to getting their other suppliers production facilities up to speed which is now done. The move away from Samsung seams to be being managed gradually and I doubt things like SSD and flash will be completely moved from Samsung for some time if ever, although apple have been investing in flash memory technologies so maybe in a year or two they may be able to do this too.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
And that's a good thing? We want Apple to pretty much have a Windows-like domination over a particular space? That's the goal? How is that good for us consumers when one company pretty much owns an entire space?

I suppose I wouldn't say good or ideal. But I would say earned for risk taking. Who was it that took a step out on the ledge, to some criticism in 2010, for a category that didn't exist (to any measurable success)? And who since then observed the success and has said 'hey, we don't have to leapfrog Apple with something better just emulate it?'
So, ideally a win for consumers would be competitors one-upping each other. But if the situation is just emulation or matching feature parity, then I would go with the risk taker.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Because you say so? The quality of panels that they can supply would be mostly unknown if your not in the OEM business as far as I can tell. Or do you have anything to back that up that is not individual tests of finished products.

search through the forums on LG vs Samsung displays.

Better yet, read reviews on displays on LG vs Samsung displays.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I was gonna say, aren't Samsung displays superior to LG's? Not sure I like this move considering I'm planning on buying the new iMac.

It depends on who you speak to. The LG owners tell me that their screen has brighter and more vivid colours. I have a rMBP with a Samsung screen. It wouldn't bother me if it was an LG.

----------

Not one panel, even from the same manufacturer, is the same. All of these threads are pretty close to pointless, especially when we all have different eyesight.

whitesand

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
We have a Samsung LED TV...It's really thin and it's got a great picture especially blue Ray, looks like you're watching a live play rather than a movie so yeah they make great displays...We also have Samsung front load washer and drier and they've performed flawlessly for a few years...But don't forget LG makes exceptional TV's as well so I don't think the move is anything to worry about.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008

Both suggestions are useless, since they are single instances of tests of consumer products, and also introduce heavy selection bias. What would be needed is a comparative test of the technical capabilities of the largest panel manufactures to make panels.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Remember that when you get a second rate SSD on your MBP. And flash memory in your MBA. And a poor panel on your iPad. :)

"Second rate" is subjective. Support your Samsing boosterism with statistics.

You know, so long as we're proving points with opinion and anecdotes, here's mine. I've owned so much more Apple hardware over the years than I want to admit and yet I have been uniformly satisfied with the component parts. I've never had a problem with a display, drive, memory or any such item. I'm sure some of them have been Samsung products, and I'm sure some of them weren't. Samsung will no doubt go on making whatever they make, and Apple will continue to make what they make, and 99.9% of the consumers won't even notice.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
No, Apple should take all that money they are giving that company and give it to several Chinese firms instead. The Chinese firms have a very honorable reputation for not creating even more explicit knockoffs. Kill Samsung (but not really) and create several other Samsungs. Now that's a great strategy!:rolleyes:

1) Chinese Honour? lol the Chinese are the biggest kerf manufacturers in the world. The concept of business ethics isn't that developed in China.

2) Creating 'several Samsungs' doesn't happen in a day, and would consume a very very large chunk of Apple's cash pile.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Both suggestions are useless, since they are single instances of tests of consumer products, and also introduce heavy selection bias. What would be needed is a comparative test of the technical capabilities of the largest panel manufactures to make panels.

Well carry on sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "La la la la la" because numerous people have told you that the LG displays are inferior and I've provided several links in this thread where people have done tests etc and the Samsung displays are vastly superior. There's nothing more to discuss. The LG panels are not as good. The end.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Thanks for discrediting every opinion and every poster on this forum. It's about time someone just cut to the chase. Since everyone sees with different eyes and has different use cases - there's no point in discussing any of this nonsense. No need to discuss UIs, screens, hardware, software, etc. Arn should just shut down the forum part of this site and people can just read the news/rumors and keep their opinions to themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.