Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
When Samsung will learn the design ethics? Are they also providing a screw-driver to change the front panel? I think they should at least buy the design team of HTC or Apple...

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
The biggest let down for it is the fact that it needs to be used in conjunction with another Samsung device, namely one that was introduced today.

As long as Apple makes the device usable whether you own an iDevice or not, I don't think Samsung are going to be rustling any feathers in Cupertino.

Apple watch is not a stand alone product. It requires an iPhone 5 or higher. It's a strategy that'll sell more iPhones and expand the number of people locked into the Apple ecosystem. Apple knows how to capture and profit off their customers.

http://www.apple.com/watch/?cid=wwa-us-kwg-watch-com

kdarling

macrumors P6
This thread is pretty hilarious now.

My favorite quotes from just the first page of responses (names changed to protect the guilty):

1 said:
$299 is the very highest Apple could go. Anything above that is getting silly.

2 said:
Fail on so many levels... $300 and yet another device you have to charge EVERY day? No thanks!!

3 said:
Whatever Apple comes out with will not be a smartphone on your wrist like this thing is.

It will be a new device that combines multiple things into something you won't want to leave home without. (...) along with a design that doesn't look like a watch (...)

In fact, Apple will probably not even use the term Watch.

Yikes. All of us get nailed for our bad predictions sooner or later :)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
My favorite quotes from just the first page of responses (names changed to protect the guilty):

Yikes. All of us get nailed for our bad predictions sooner or later :)

Of course you know what the responses to those will be after the release. We've already heard them..

1. The Apple watch is a fashion statement. It's a luxury watch. People pay premiums for fashion. $350 is not expensive.... etc

2. What's the big deal? I charge my phone every night. Non-issue.

3. Apple's solution is elegant. Once you've used it - you can't imagine how you have lived without it.

...and so on...

JobsGang

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
Epic Fail.

This is exactly what everyone would say Samsung would come out with...basically an iPod Nano with limited features. And these features are pretty bad and horrible battery life and interface. Relying on 3rd party apps is also bad. Not shocking at all, this is what I expect from an 'engineering/tech spec' focused company and not a design/usability company like Apple.

They did this so they could beat Apple to market so they cannot be caught up in another lawsuit with Apple.

Whatever Apple comes out with will not be a smartphone on your wrist like this thing is.

It will be a new device that combines multiple things into something you won't want to leave home without. From NFC, health monitoring, connectivity and other features along with a design that doesn't look like a watch (I mean seriously, it was SOOOO obvious what Samsungs watch was going to look like).

In fact, Apple will probably not even use the term Watch. They will use something that relates to a wrist band/bracelet/or device always with you.

I also find it funny that people defending Samsung are saying things like "You don't know what Apple will come out with..they could have come out with something just like this" and I think the majority of us know that Apple would never come out with something like this epic fail of technology.

I was going to post the Joker meme "And here we gooooo..." to signal the start of the smart watch wars....but I mean seriously this thing is just so awful I think this is more appropriate of a look from the Joker.

Lmao epic fail. And this got 167 up votes lol.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Of course you know what the responses to those will be after the release. We've already heard them..

1. The Apple watch is a fashion statement. It's a luxury watch. People pay premiums for fashion. $350 is not expensive.... etc

2. What's the big deal? I charge my phone every night. Non-issue.

3. Apple's solution is elegant. Once you've used it - you can't imagine how you have lived without it.

...and so on...
And are these responses going to come from the same people? For all we know the same people that complained about the Gear's battery life are also complaining about :apple:Watch battery life (and probably have no interest in even buying an :apple:Watch). :)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
And are these responses going to come from the same people? For all we know the same people that complained about the Gear's battery life are also complaining about :apple:Watch battery life (and probably have no interest in even buying an :apple:Watch). :)

Have you been complaining about the :apple:Watch battery life? ;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Have you been complaining about the :apple:Watch battery life? ;)

Hard for me to complain about something I don't have and am not 100% certain to buy. On the other hand it's not surprising that people can be hypocritical sometimes. :)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Hard for me to complain about something I don't have and am not 100% certain to buy. On the other hand it's not surprising that people can be hypocritical sometimes. :)

I was only joking because you were one of those criticising the Gear's battery life.

I never said it would be the same people.

And Rogifan already knows he has eaten some crow here. Rogifan insisted that Apple wouldn't release a watch with less than a day's battery life. He estimated 2-3 days.

Now of course, you can argue usage and what it all means. But he did admit that he was wrong there. In one of these threads :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I never said it would be the same people.

And Rogifan already knows he has eaten some crow here. Rogifan insisted that Apple wouldn't release a watch with less than a day's battery life. He estimated 2-3 days.

Now of course, you can argue usage and what it all means. But he did admit that he was wrong there. In one of these threads :)

First of all he is actually she. And I did say people can be hypocrites sometimes. :) Honestly I don't remember everything I said about Apple's wearable last year. If I said it would for sure last 2-3 days obviously I was wrong. I have no problem admitting that.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
First of all he is actually she. And I did say people can be hypocrites sometimes. :) Honestly I don't remember everything I said about Apple's wearable last year. If I said it would for sure last 2-3 days obviously I was wrong. I have no problem admitting that.

My apologies.

I said as much - that you admitted it. Not sure where the problem is. I was actually defending you.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

I've not seen you mention anything about it lasting for 2-3 days but you didn't think Apple would release a smart watch with a similar battery life to the Samsung Gear.

Seriously, this is why we don't have a smart watch/wearables device from Apple yet. They would never release one that got a day (or less) battery life. Seems to me Samsung rushed something out because they were bound and determined to have something on the market before Apple.

I have to admit I also thought Apple would be able to get more than a day out of a single charge, I just didn't post it on MacRumors. :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
My apologies.

I said as much - that you admitted it. Not sure where the problem is. I was actually defending you.

No problem at all. :)

----------

I have to admit I also thought Apple would be able to get more than a day out of a single charge, I just didn't post it on MacRumors. :D

This brings up an interesting question (though probably OT for this thread): why an A5 level chip and why retina display at 60fps? Apple is not usually known for spec whoring or overkill in their products. I mean first iPad shipped with 256MB RAM. iPhone 6 and 6 Plus still only have 1GB RAM. I can't imagine them using a powerful chip like that just because.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

----------

This brings up an interesting question (though probably OT for this thread): why an A5 level chip and why retina display at 60fps? Apple is not usually known for spec whoring or overkill in their products. I mean first iPad shipped with 256MB RAM. iPhone 6 and 6 Plus still only have 1GB RAM. I can't imagine them using a powerful chip like that just because.

Perhaps they believe it's the most efficient for their immediate needs compared to other chips?

As for retina display - perhaps a marketing point/differentiation. I *think* Android wear is topping out at 320x320 right now?

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
When Samsung will learn the design ethics? Are they also providing a screw-driver to change the front panel? I think they should at least buy the design team of HTC or Apple.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

----------

this is what I've been wondering regarding the Apple Watch and it's battery life.

we're talking about < 1 day of use (estimated) and one of the biggest defences when brought up is "But it' has a retina display running at 60fps!"

what if you cut that displays refresh rate to 45fps, or 30fps? would battery life be dramatically increased? Would the display be significantly different in use? same with resolution of the watch? Would dropping it in 1/2 have made a difference?

is this a case of Form over Function? or was there legitimate reasons.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

The third is totally off about what Apple will release, but the other two are still valid criticism's which are now applicable to the Apple Watch as well.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
this is what I've been wondering regarding the Apple Watch and it's battery life.

we're talking about < 1 day of use (estimated) and one of the biggest defences when brought up is "But it' has a retina display running at 60fps!"

what if you cut that displays refresh rate to 45fps, or 30fps? would battery life be dramatically increased? Would the display be significantly different in use? same with resolution of the watch? Would dropping it in 1/2 have made a difference?

is this a case of Form over Function? or was there legitimate reasons.

What form?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.