Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think that is not about portraying him as negative. Because he clearly was. It was about people saying Apple was trying to portray him as the average consumer using those products. He was clearly labeled as PC, not a PC user.

But what else where they comparing him to? I can't fathom how someone can't see that, otherwise what's the purpose of the ad. It's to let you know if you use a mac you will be a cool dude, good looking and savvy. Is there really such a disconnect between marketing and what you see? I don't mean any disrespect, but can you really be that naïve?

Anyhow it's ancient history so it doesn't really matter anymore. I think others are correct in that Apple hasn't done a derogatory ad like this in some time.

----------

And... Samsung fights back, and they have some valid points IMO. I wonder if the Samsung fans will now rage against all the apple fans gloating in this thread about the Samsung fans gloating about the original bendgate. My God, WHEN WILL IT END ?!?!?!?!?!? Lol.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/06/samsung-fights-galaxy-s6-bend-scandal/#continued

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
But what else where they comparing him to?

A PC perhaps?!? At least thats what he called himself that is...LordVic may have been on the right track. Personification...what a PC might be like if he was a real person. A bit hyped up of course. But actually my favorite character of the two.

I can't fathom how someone can't see that, otherwise what's the purpose of the ad.

What a Mac & PC might say to each other if they were real people, from Apples perspective of course.

It's to let you know if you use a mac you will be a cool dude, good looking and savvy. Is there really such a disconnect between marketing and what you see? I don't mean any disrespect, but can you really be that naïve?

So if the roles were reversed, would make it any less true?!? A young surfer dude straight from "Fast times from Ridgemont High. Or a frat guy with a beer bong on his way to a party.

It would be just as easy to play role reversal and most likely Apple would do it that way if the young good looking guy was the PC. Or would our own prejudices think that way regardless?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
A PC perhaps?!? At least thats what he called himself that is...LordVic may have been on the right track. Personification...what a PC might be like if he was a real person. A bit hyped up of course. But actually my favorite character of the two.

What a Mac & PC might say to each other if they were real people, from Apples perspective of course.

So if the roles were reversed, would make it any less true?!? A young surfer dude straight from "Fast times from Ridgemont High. Or a frat guy with a beer bong on his way to a party.

It would be just as easy to play role reversal and most likely Apple would do it that way if the young good looking guy was the PC. Or would our own prejudices think that way regardless?

Like I said before, we disagree. People are going to equate themselves with the caricature which is shown. If the roles were reversed sure, but that doesn't exist so why bother considering it?

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Samsung recorded its own bend test to prove the Galaxy S6's strength
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/6/8352781/samsung-official-galaxy-s6-bend-test

See my point? machines and more machines, i want to read real people complaints (like the iphone 6+ bending inside people's pockets) about this phone then i will believe.

And i'm not a Samsung fan boy but you don't need to be an Einstein to know that an iphone 6+ (naked) inside a jeans pocket it's gonna bend sooner or later, that's pretty obvious but that's just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

digitalfields

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
So what if they bend...

Then just don't put them in your back pocket, or if you pants are so tight you need a shoehorn to get them on I guess you should get yourself some kind of holder with a clip.

My problem is more with the rebooting of my iPhone 6+. It does it randomly or I can cause it to reboot by doing some normal tasks as shown in my video https://youtu.be/CYl63aEyIB8

Watch and let me know if you have this problem.

digitalfields

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
See my point? machines and more machines, i want to read real people complaints (like the iphone 6+ bending inside people's pockets) about this phone then i will believe.

And i'm not a Samsung fan boy but you don't need to be an Einstein to know that an iphone 6+ (naked) inside a jeans pocket it's gonna bend sooner or later, that's pretty obvious but that's just my personal opinion.

Thing is you can clearly see how they only go to 81 lbf and I for one know this is on purpose to show that the S6 will flex but not break or permanently deform at this pressure.
The video by nature of being Samsung TV is not going to show you it breaking just like Apple wouldn't come out with a video showing their phones breaking. This video is just an example of what they say it's limits may be (unofficially of course) because they must have done tests to determine the breaking point and so they know not to go anywhere near the 100 lbf limit as shown in the video at the top of this thread.
I know this because I'm a Quality Engineer and we test stuff like this regularly to ensure we know the limits of the design and the failure point in a design.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Thing is you can clearly see how they only go to 81 lbf and I for one know this is on purpose to show that the S6 will flex but not break or permanently deform at this pressure.
The video by nature of being Samsung TV is not going to show you it breaking just like Apple wouldn't come out with a video showing their phones breaking. This video is just an example of what they say it's limits may be (unofficially of course) because they must have done tests to determine the breaking point and so they know not to go anywhere near the 100 lbf limit as shown in the video at the top of this thread.
I know this because I'm a Quality Engineer and we test stuff like this regularly to ensure we know the limits of the design and the failure point in a design.

and i agree with you that's why all those machines tests are not that important at the end of the day, just for marketing and controversy purposes. I want to see real people complaints here.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
and i agree with you that's why all those machines tests are not that important at the end of the day, just for marketing and controversy purposes. I want to see real people complaints here.

I would say they are very important. They do hold important data that is used for testing designs prior to release.

The vary nature of fast release cycles for cell phones is something that can't be done by humans in that small amount of time. These machines replicate thousands of cycles of tests 24/7 without getting tired. Now I suppose that may not replicate perfectly how a human might do it, but the best they have for now.

After thousands of tests they might even take the phone completely apart to see the amount of wear or damage it occurs. For improvement in future changes in the design.

While the few tests done by consumer reports and such are not conclusive, do show the basic data that often verifies certain aspects of the design.

You won't certainly see any reports of problems by the general public until it gets released.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

They specifically said they went up to the pressure where the phone should bend/break in your back pocket, enough to snap 5 pencils in half. What's the purpose of going higher if it's not testing a real world experience? So we know 80lb is the force a back pocket would produce, we know that 80lb won't bend or break the phone, and we know that 110lb force would break it but that would never happen in the realistic world.

The other thing people keep missing with bendgate (and probably with the s6) is deformation over time. IMO it's not just one incident of strong force that bends these phones, it's constant flexing over time, flexing which is sub maximal and isolated wouldn't cause bending but with heat, friction and time will eventually bend something. Put it in your back pocket once and you probably won't see something, put it in your back pocket for a long period of time and that constant flexing will eventually bend it.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
hmm so why was only the S6 Edge tested? I mean duh it's a weaker phone, it has more glass, less aluminum

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
You won't certainly see any reports of problems by the general public until it gets released.

If that happens...:rolleyes: Personally I don't see people complaining about these Samsung phones bending in their pockets. Perhaps other features..

Last edited:

anjunabeets

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2015
This is ridiculous

No one really cares about whether the iPhone bends at 145 or at 160 lbs of pressure at the center.

The ONLY thing a reasonable person expects is the phone not to bend after normal use. To some, this includes putting it in your pocket. This presents a different set of demands than poking the center of the phone.

The iPhone 6+ is very evidently flawed because of lack of reinforcement on one side (by the volume buttons). Therefore these "apply pressure on center of phone" tests prove nothing.

See http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/30/bendgate/ for more details.

Edit: Time will tell whether the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge has any similar flaws. You can bet that the media will beat any similar issue into the ground, simply because it's ridiculous for a $700+ phone to have a structural integrity issue.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
No one really cares about whether the iPhone bends at 145 or at 160 lbs of pressure at the center.

The ONLY thing a reasonable person expects is the phone not to bend after normal use. To some, this includes putting it in your pocket. This presents a different set of demands than poking the center of the phone.

The iPhone 6+ is very evidently flawed because of lack of reinforcement on one side (by the volume buttons). Therefore these "apply pressure on center of phone" tests prove nothing.

See http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/30/bendgate/ for more details.

Edit: Time will tell whether the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge has any similar flaws. You can bet that the media will beat any similar issue into the ground, simply because it's ridiculous for a $700+ phone to have a structural integrity issue.

All phones will bend at the point of least resistance if you apply enough pressure. That we all know. If we are concerned with durability with normal use why are we worried where the phone bends with abnormal amounts of pressure?

If Apple made the phone super strong near the volume buttons, does the phone bending somewhere else now make it the weak spot when we add tons of pressure? We need to keep it in perspective. All phones will bend somewhere if enough pressure is applied. What we need to ask is will the phone last under normal use.

Last edited:

anjunabeets

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2015
All phones will bend at the point of least resistance if you apply enough pressure. That we all know. If we are concerned with durability with normal use why are we worried where the phone bends with abnormal amounts of pressure?

If Apple made the phone super strong near the volume buttons, does the phone bending somewhere else now make it the weak spot when we add tons of pressure? We need to keep it in perspective. All phones will bend somewhere if enough pressure is applied. What we need to ask is will the phone last under normal use.

That's exactly what I mean. Some weak spots are less convenient than others. What's the point of the iPhone 6 Plus being able to withstand hundreds of pounds of force applied to a small area in the center if it bends in your pocket because of the weak spot near the volume buttons? The edges of the phone cannot be neglected, since a phone is experiencing some level of torsion virtually the entire time that it's in a pocket.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
What's the point of the iPhone 6 Plus being able to withstand hundreds of pounds of force applied to a small area in the center if it bends in your pocket because of the weak spot near the volume buttons?

Perhaps to turn the volume up and down? Phones will still need a few vital buttons for operation. Power / volume whatever. Anything that penetrates the casing won't be as strong as one without it. I'm sure everyone would be more then happy if they would remove the volume buttons to make a stronger iPhone...not.

The edges of the phone cannot be neglected, since a phone is experiencing some level of torsion virtually the entire time that it's in a pocket.

The sides always had reinforcements added according to the breakdowns. If people can't take proper care of their phones, no amount of engineering will likely help them.

Last edited:

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
The sides always had reinforcements added according to the breakdowns. If people can't take proper care of their phones, no amount of engineering will likely help them.

Word!

People - - stay away from them phone bending machines!!!

Thanesane

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2015
http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/14/samsung-galaxy-s6-beats-the-s6-edge-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-in-new-durability-video/

Lets see if you can read this. You are all being fooled by apple. If you believe everything you read on an website clearly aimed at apple products to conclude that apple is the bbest product. All hope is lost. Have fun on your 8mp camera, minimum ram and slow processing

----------

Ouch.

Where are all the Samsung fans from September? I'd like to see what they make of this.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/14/samsung-galaxy-s6-beats-the-s6-edge-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-in-new-durability-video/

You have been fooled my friend. What can you expect from a biased website. I hope you don't believe everything you read on the internet

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010

Lets see if you can read this. You are all being fooled by apple. If you believe everything you read on an website clearly aimed at apple products to conclude that apple is the bbest product. All hope is lost. Have fun on your 8mp camera, minimum ram and slow processing

----------

You have been fooled my friend. What can you expect from a biased website. I hope you don't believe everything you read on the internet

Lol so you're allowed to cherry-pick websites and we're not? The S6 Edge has a break-ability score of 10, the absolute worst score that can be given. Have you even bothered to read your own link?

Also
8MP camera - megapixels aren't everything. I thought that was obvious since 2008 but apparently some people didn't get the memo.

Minimum RAM - and yet the iPhone 6 reloads less than the Note 4 with 3GB RAM. Optimized software > excessive hardware. http://youtu.be/qQ6gKHZVGpk

Slow processing - Except according to Anandtech's test, iPhone wipes the floor with the S6 when it comes to all web-based benchmarks (including Google's own) and runs circles around the S6 when it comes to on-screen graphics benchmarks. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9111/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-preview

And the 6 also beats the S6 when it comes to display, which is pretty laughable. The brightness metric is based on 1% of screen, by the way, so it's irrelevant for real world use, because AMOLEDs get dimmer (much dimmer, down to 400 nits or less) when you fill more of the screen with material (around 50% or so).

Something tells me you're on the wrong website lol.

Last edited:

Thanesane

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2015
Ah well. There's no help for you fanboys. You will always have the slow tech with your iphones. You even believe you have the best. Its laughable.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Ah well. There's no help for you fanboys. You will always have the slow tech with your iphones. You even believe you have the best. Its laughable.

Lol even when presented with proof I'm still the fanboy. Okay, cya

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I am for once happy for samsung, this will definitely make the s6 and samsung more popular no matter in a good or bad way. Laugh everyone, share to everywhere you want, make this viral, and I’m sure this will make the s6 launch even more popular.D

how did that work out for you? :)

Reactions: bobob

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
haha. jolly good Homer.

i'd like to think the thinner phones are, the stronger they get, but the two do not add up. What with all the 'better' materials uses today, its not doing anything.

What are we trying to achieve here ? how thin a phone can get, or how bendy it can get ? i think both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.