Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I think it goes well beyond simple lack of understanding--if the reports of what was said in the meeting with Nokia are even half true, the Samsung executive was fully aware of the illegality of what he was doing, and was openly flaunting the law.

I would say that it's hard to believe that an executive at a major global company would be so flagrant in his disregard of laws, but there is certainly precedent--the head of the company should literally be in jail. He was convicted of financial shenanigans and the prosecutors requested a 7 year sentence, but the court knocked it down to a 3 year suspended sentence, which was then pardoned by the president so he could help out with the Olympics, and it wasn't long before he was running the company again.

If the original sentence had been handed down, he'd be in prison for at least another year and a half.

It may or may not be a coincidence that Samsung was also raided around the same time as that case related to a slush fund used to bribe government officials. And it's almost certainly not a coincidence that they account for nearly 20% of South Korea's GDP--when you get a personal pardon from the president of South Korea, you obviously have friends in very high places.

Point being, the person running the company is literally a convicted criminal, and one who not only served no time for the crime he committed, but would still be in jail if he'd been sentenced appropriately. That's pretty strong evidence for deep-rooted corruption in the company's executive culture.

I was giving them the benefit of doubt until the judgement has been passed. I'm very interested in how this pans out as I assume it could have quite far-reaching ramifications; not least for Samsung's US lawyers.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Good luck with that. They make so many components for all manner of electronic devices. iPhones for now still include a Samsung manufactured SoC. At least a large portion do. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other component in iPhones that they likely produce.

The OP stated "products". Why is this argument about Samsung components used so often? If I buy an iPhone, I am not buying a Samsung PRODUCT. I don't care how many Samsung components it has inside. Apple ultimately controls the supply base and is responsible to their customer for the quality of the final product and its constituent components. Based on that, the OP can be consistent in saying he/she will never buy a Samsung branded product even though he/she may buy or already own several Apple products.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Samsung is plainly a criminal enterprise , flaunting laws around the world. They have built a business on copying their competitors, bribing officials, paying shills , analysts and ” journalists” and delaying and/or ignoring legal findings .

Hopefully, the weight of their crimes has become so heavy they will sink.

Let's just shut them down. No more Samsung products in America. What would happen then?

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Now that Microsoft own Nokia, they should aggressively go after Samsung for violating those rules.

This should both give them a way to gain lost income, AND give them a stronger legal position for future innovation (as Samsung will copy them).

My understanding in Chinese and Korean view of patents is it is different then western, a cultural aspect, not law.

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
The OP stated "products". Why is this argument about Samsung components used so often? If I buy an iPhone, I am not buying a Samsung PRODUCT. I don't care how many Samsung components it has inside. Apple ultimately controls the supply base and is responsible to their customer for the quality of the final product and its constituent components. Based on that, the OP can be consistent in saying he/she will never buy a Samsung branded product even though he/she may buy or already own several Apple products.

Probably because whomever makes such a statement is making a deep personal commitment to not in any way (directly or indirectly) support a company which expresses values or practices which they dislike, hate, despise, etc. The point being made with the component argument is that it is unfortunately difficult to not support Samsung indirectly. Perhaps this isn't an issue, but I find myself somewhat sharing the sentiment and regret the truth that my money will find its way into their coffers regardless.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Probably because whomever makes such a statement is making a deep personal commitment to not in any way (directly or indirectly) support a company which expresses values or practices which they dislike, hate, despise, etc. The point being made with the component argument is that it is unfortunately difficult to not support Samsung indirectly. Perhaps this isn't an issue, but I find myself somewhat sharing the sentiment and regret the truth that my money will find its way into their coffers regardless.

I understand what you're saying but part of it is making an outward statement in not supporting Samsung by owning any Samsung branded products. I don't think you're being hypocritical in stating you will never buy Samsung products while typing that on your iPhone 5S. It would be, however, if you had a Samsung product hanging on your wall or keeping your milk cold or washing your jeans.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Good luck with that. They make so many components for all manner of electronic devices. iPhones for now still include a Samsung manufactured SoC. At least a large portion do. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other component in iPhones that they likely produce.

I came here to post the very same thing!

Makes me chuckle the way the keyboard commentators on here absolutely berate Samsung without knowing all the facts and not realising that without them many of their beloved products likely wouldn't even exist. Not in the form they currently know them anyway.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I came here to post the very same thing!

Makes me chuckle the way the keyboard commentators on here absolutely berate Samsung without knowing all the facts and not realising that without them many of their beloved products likely wouldn't even exist. Not in the form they currently know them anyway.

And why do you assume that they don't already know Samsung may manufacture some of the components residing in devices they already own? There's nothing wrong with stating you'll never buy a Samsung PRODUCT, and buying an iPhone.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Samsung is rotten at its core. I'll never buy another Samsung product again

Better stop buying Apple products then. In fact, I doubt you'll have much choice since Samsung make quite a lot of components for quite a lot of companies.

Good luck.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
It's become part of their corporate culture. Cheating on benchmarks, copying, paying for positive commenters on message boards. That's who they are.

Yeah, I guess. The worst thing about this is the media coverage they get. Be it bad, but still free media.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
You know, it's also entirely possible to be fully aware of the vast reach of Samsung's various industries (not just component manufacture and branded goods, but Samsung Heavy Industries, Samsung Construction & Trading, insurance, etc), and to acknowledge that they make some nice products (both at the macro and component level), while also pointing out that the company seems to have very, very serious ethical issues with its upper management and, at least in the case of its consumer electronics division, the engineering as well (thinking about the benchmark fudging here).

This case, further, doesn't relate to the components division of the company (or the construction, or insurance, or apparel branches, for that matter); it's related specifically to the consumer electronics division.

I know for a fact that the chairman of the the Samsung group is a convicted criminal--that's not in dispute anywhere. I don't know enough about any of their other business dealings to know how the corporate culture is in them. I do know that the consumer electronics division seems to have very, very severe ethical problems, ranging form patent abuse, to this sort of flagrant abuse of legal privilege, to things like coding to cheat on benchmarks.

I don't know how far the upper-management corruption goes into their component businesses, although since it exists at the very top they can't be entirely clean.

And when you're dealing with a company that has that sort of broad and deep reach into products everywhere, I don't see the great cognitive dissonance in saying "I'm going to choose to buy things that aren't explicitly branded Samsung, because at least the margins for Samsung on products they only make components from are smaller, and I'm not actively advertising my support for them by displaying a logo."

It's the same as when years ago I vowed never to spend my own money on a Microsoft product again due to personal harm the company's shady business practices did to me. I was still willing to take money from people who wanted me to fix their Microsoft products, and if logic dictated it I wasn't going to tell a client not to buy a Microsoft product if that was what they really wanted or was truly the best tool for their job. But I, personally, wasn't going to have their logo on things I was working with.

i4m

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Let's just shut them down. No more Samsung products in America. What would happen then?

Sun will shine brighter, and birds will sing louder, and honey will taste just a tad sweeter...

----------

Better stop buying Apple products then. In fact, I doubt you'll have much choice since Samsung make quite a lot of components for quite a lot of companies.

Good luck.

good point... there is a little bit of Samsung in every Apple...

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
I understand what you're saying but part of it is making an outward statement in not supporting Samsung by owning any Samsung branded products. I don't think you're being hypocritical in stating you will never buy Samsung products while typing that on your iPhone 5S. It would be, however, if you had a Samsung product hanging on your wall or keeping your milk cold or washing your jeans.

Agreed. But to be clear, I wasn't accusing anyone of hypocrisy. Although I see your point that others might, even if only in a pedantic sort of way. Which perhaps was what I was doing...crap.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
Samsung is plainly a criminal enterprise , flaunting laws around the world. They have built a business on copying their competitors, bribing officials, paying shills , analysts and ” journalists” and delaying and/or ignoring legal findings .

Hopefully, the weight of their crimes has become so heavy they will sink.

Microsoft has been doing worse things (see the criticism against Microsoft Wikipedia page), but they're still alive. Mainly anti-competitive things like intentionally not adhering to web standards. Silverlight is their latest plot.

----------

Not sure thoughts about this by everyone, but Samsung makes some amazing TVs :)

No, I'm never buying a Samsung TV. Not because of Samsung's sleaziness but because I have one now, and it's a pain in the butt. I don't know how they managed to make a TV that lags, but they did, and it even has invisible touch buttons that only work 1/3 of the time.

----------

Then it would set the precedent to shut down a lot of other foreign producers... might get messy. I still don't think they deserve to sell half their stuff here.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
No, I'm never buying a Samsung TV. Not because of Samsung's sleaziness but because I have one now, and it's a pain in the butt. I don't know how they managed to make a TV that lags, but they did, and it even has invisible touch buttons that only work 1/3 of the time.

I own one also. I didn't think the invisible buttons would bother me because that's what remotes are for. IT BOTHERS ME. Especially when my Logitech Harmony doesn't want to turn on the TV and I have to hunt for the invisible button. Don't me started on the Samsung TV remote.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009

This case, further, doesn't relate to the components division of the company (or the construction, or insurance, or apparel branches, for that matter); it's related specifically to the consumer electronics division.

The other division of Samsung are corrupt as well - especially, the Engineering & Construction. We just hear about electronics because this is a tech board and it impacts a high profile american company.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I think it goes well beyond simple lack of understanding--if the reports of what was said in the meeting with Nokia are even half true, the Samsung executive was fully aware of the illegality of what he was doing, and was openly flaunting the law.

I would say that it's hard to believe that an executive at a major global company would be so flagrant in his disregard of laws.

Don't feel it hard to believe at all. Samsung is big enough that their executives are immune to any criminal punishment, as long as they are getting the most possible benefits for the company, legal or illegal, moral or immoral, unless the other party is powerful enough to force the whole South Korean government to bow.

They know this fact, so they are willing to commit any business crime at any time.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yea and so are engineers and retail and management and Chinese assembly line workers. What's your point?

They're all making progress. What progress are the lawyers making? The engineers and retain and management and assembly line workers are all improving the quality of life for those that can afford the products that are produced... or at least you can argue that they're doing so. Who's lives are improved because of the existence of these lawyers (besides their families that they support?)

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Samsung is rotten at its core. I'll never buy another Samsung product again

Sell your iPhone then, pretty much the entire thing is made by Samsung, just assembled by Foxconn, which is a great company, you know?

You're right. It isn't Samsung because it isn't branded as such, despite the fact they make over $100 per phone sold before licensing issues...

The one issue I have with these deals is, essentially, was Apple giving anti-competitive deals to Nokia? And I wasn't aware that you aren't allowed to possess confidential materials-I would assume the third party is in serious trouble here, but I fail to understand why Samsung would be. Even if they reported that they knew the information, how do you suddenly un-know it?

Industrial Espionage is nothing new. But I'm not quite sure what Samsung itself did wrong, and Samsung has contended that Apple refuses to give reasonable licenses for what it deems obvious software patents used in many different applications historically, though only in a smartphone recently...I'll give an example of Costco, which infamously received an invoice meant to go to Walmart one day, realizes Walmart got a better deal than them, and used this information to stop carrying them as a supplier. And should a journalist who leaks details of, say, government plans go to jail? So why didn't Woodward and Bernstein go to jail?

Last edited:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
They're all making progress. What progress are the lawyers making? The engineers and retain and management and assembly line workers are all improving the quality of life for those that can afford the products that are produced... or at least you can argue that they're doing so. Who's lives are improved because of the existence of these lawyers (besides their families that they support?)

The families of the mentioned engineers and workers and retail staff and executive team of Apple

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
And I wasn't aware that you aren't allowed to possess confidential materials-I would assume the third party is in serious trouble here, but I fail to understand why Samsung would be. Even if they reported that they knew the information, how do you suddenly un-know it?

Industrial Espionage is nothing new. But I'm not quite sure what Samsung itself did wrong, and Samsung has contended that Apple refuses to give reasonable licenses for what it deems obvious software patents used in many different applications historically, though only in a smartphone recently...I'll give an example of Costco, which infamously received an invoice meant to go to Walmart one day, realizes Walmart got a better deal than them, and used this information to stop carrying them as a supplier. And should a journalist who leaks details of, say, government plans go to jail? So why didn't Woodward and Bernstein go to jail?

This is very different. Samsung's lawyers were given the information about Nokia by the judge, to assist them with their case. Apple understandably did not want the information to be shared, and the judge therefore made it clear that it was for the lawyers only: it was shared with the explicit condition that this information could not be shared with Samsung itself, only their lawyers. Not only did the lawyers flout this, but Samsung then, rather than going back to the judge immediately and saying "oops, our lawyers screwed up here" instead used the information, and also subsequently in a meeting with Nokia taunted them with the fact that they had information they knew they shouldn't have. Not very clever behaviour when you're still in the middle of the law suit.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It's so amazing to read all the identical replies from so many different accounts. Cool.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.