Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Does anyone use the lenses by Sandmarc or Moment? I am going on a trip soon- (1 stop will be a baseball game.) Sadly, I won't be able to take my mirrorless camera with me with my telephoto lens. I'm looking for feedback on the pros and cons of these lenses. Using a 15 Pro Max.

Thanks!

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Which particular lenses are you looking at? I have the previous version ("M") Moment 2x telephoto and anamorphic lenses. They worked great on my XS Max and 13 Pro, but they don't quite hold up to the higher res/larger sensor on my 15 Pro. I have no doubt that the updated "T" versions are up to the task, though. In my experience telephoto tends to work better on the main camera than the iPhone's telephoto camera. On iPhones with max 2-3x telephoto, the main camera with Moment 2x lens gives better results IMHO than the iPhone's built in telephoto, though obviously that changes somewhat in terms of reach with the 15 Pro Max, so I am not sure what those results would be like.

I'd not heard of Sandmarc before, but I am intrigued. The lenses generally seem to be about the same size as the Moment equivalents, though Moment doesn't have anything like that 6x lens. I'd imagine it's hard to get great results handheld.

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
So I got the Sandmarc photo package. It comes with Telephoto, Wide, Macro, and Fisheye lenses. Also included is a case for the phone, 4 clip on adapters- one for each lens- if you don’t use a case, individual travel pouches and cases to store the lens in. And also the lens covers are included. Have to say these lenses feel much better (heavier and better build quality) than Moment’s lenses and you get more with it. Plus the screw on adapter is on the case and it’s much better than Moment’s- it’s not plastic and it’s not going to get lost. I’ve used Moment’s lenses up until I got my new iPhone and I would have had to upgrade my lenses to the new T series. Yes, I could have used the M series but there will be some vignette. NOTE: I’m comparing these lenses to Moments M series.

I decided to go to Sandmarc. The reviews I read were great and Sandmarc gives more accessories in the package for a bit cheaper. And everything I got is really nice quality. I got them yesterday and took some photos with the Telephoto and the results are great. I’m happy. 🙂 I’ll post some when I can.

Reactions: coolguy4747

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Just got the 6x lens and 100mm macro from Sandmarc. Very good quality. Heavy too.

Here’s a quick photo using the 6x lens. Shot in Raw using the main camera in ProCamera. A tripod is recommended to use with this lens. I didn’t for this photo as I was just trying it out.

Attachments

• IMG_3504.jpeg
    IMG_3504.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: coolguy4747
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.