Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Primate Labs posted benchmark results comparing the new Santa Rosa MacBooks that were quietly updated last week to the Santa Rosa chipset along with the new GMA X3100 integrated video card.

In terms of pure processor speed, the MacBook updates seemed negligible (2.0GHz -> 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz -> 2.2GHz), though the underlying bus speed was increased to 800MHz from 667MHz.

The published benchmarks compared the 2.16GHz previous MacBook to the 2.2GHz new MacBook, and did significantly boost memory performance by 15% and stream performance by 25%, reflecting the increased bus speed. Integer, floating point, and overall performance, however, was only marginally improved.

Graphics performance was not tested, but the GMA X3100 should also provide performance boosts over the previous integrated video card (GMA 950).

Article Link

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Thought so...I'm looking forward to MWSF where we might see some new notebooks (and not just bumped up versions of the current ones!)

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Thought so...I'm looking forward to MWSF where we might see some new notebooks (and not just bumped up versions of the current ones!)

So I assume you define "new notebooks" as a case redesign? This is a new chip set based on Santa Rosa. It's a full 64 bit MB, faster front side bus, and supports twice the memory with much better graphics They can only give what intel has to offer and this is the best they have for their mobile platform right now. it wasn't just a speed bump.

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
More and more I find less reason to go with a Macbook Pro. I'll replace my MB with a new one when they get LED displays, then hand over the old one to the fiance and all's well with the world.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
So I assume you define "new notebooks" as a case redesign? This is a new chip set based on Santa Rosa. It's a full 64 bit MB, faster front side bus, and supports twice the memory with much better graphics They can only give what intel has to offer and this is the best they have for their mobile platform right now. it wasn't just a speed bump.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I meant a case design, and perhaps some new features. And there shouldn't be a combo drive on the base model. The speed of the machine is fine, imo, but there is still a gap in the lineup ever since the 12" G4 Powerbook went away.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Santa Rosa is 36-bit, not 64-bit

This is a new chip set based on Santa Rosa. It's a full 64 bit MB, faster front side bus, and supports twice the memory with much better graphics.

Sorry, but Santa Rosa is only a 36-bit chipset.

It's limited to 64 GiB max RAM.

(of course, for a laptop today, 36-bit is just as good as 64-bit ;) )

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Remember the disgruntled Macbook buyer that bought days before these were released? Someone should post this on his thread in the event he misses it. :)

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
7 days late

Originally Posted by ntrigue
Remember the disgruntled Macbook buyer that bought days before these were released? Someone should post this on his thread in the event he misses it.
macboo2new.jpg

HE missed Macboo?

j/k, now AutoCAD will be BLAZING FAST!
and sketchUp...:eek:

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I dont expect to see new macbooks till..oh.. may or so, won't be suprised if updated a tad bit earliern. i will expect to see not a case redesign... can someone please tell me why they would? going all alumi is not a valid answer. the macbook is a redesign in itself which has only been around for ..coming up on two years i believe. take a look at what other products have been redesigned. iMac. That's it. Macbook pro stayed the same, Mac Pro's the same, iMac, basically the same just different casing. iBooks had the same design for, please correct me if i'm wrong, but 4 or 5 years. so why were ppl looking for a case redesign a year and half later from release??? I think some ppl need to seriouslly get off the i'm new to apple cloud, but i will admit, i was there once thinking apple would make things that were in my dreams. oh...led screen... probably in the next revision in late spring, but not holding my breath. dedicated graphics in macbook, never. sorry but never. it will also get penryn in the late spring too. so dont hold your breath for next revision...led screen and penryn chip...big woopdee doo dah. i bet you'll all be like..."i'm not gona buy with all these rumors of nehalem right around the corner!" or however u spell the chips name. anyways..remember that apple needs to keep a GAP btwn pro and consumer. once you start realizing that and thinking logically, it will be easy to see what apple will include in the next revision.

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Are there any "real world" benchmarks somewhere? I want to know how iTunes and iMovie will perform with the new hardware...

Uh - then the new MB's will perform great - just the same as the *old* MB's did with iTunes and most of iMovie's functionality.

Why do you want to be an early adopter/on the bleeding edge for apps that don't require the oomph?

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
Sorry, but Santa Rosa is only a 36-bit chipset.

It's limited to 64 GiB max RAM.

(of course, for a laptop today, 36-bit is just as good as 64-bit ;) )

ok, so i just wanted to check, but if upgrade to one of these my 64 bit audio apps will be able to use all 4 gigs of ram, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.