Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mPanebianco

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Mac Pro Negotated Link Speed @ 1.5

Now in 2011, does anyone have an answer about this? I didn't think there were 6 busses in the Mac Pro (2006/7), and I heard three (1 for the four bays and 1 each for the other two ports), so I wondered if a selection of 1.5 or 3.0 makes a different for other connections. I have some enterprise Seagate SATA II drives that individually can't likely breach 1.5, but together the drives certainly could. Ideas?

Same problem here. RAID 0 at 1.5 with 4 SATA II drives on ports 3-6 (two ports on MOBO behind fans). Magically went to 3.0 last night and this morning back to 1.5. I will post screen shots later with more details. In addition I did some benchmarks with ATTO. And yes 3.0 did make HUGE difference vs 1.5. Speeds were nearly double when I ran ATTO. Even my Photoshop documents were loading much faster.

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
EFI 1.7 workaround maybe for late 2008 Macbooks?

This is *********! The negotiation speed should be always 3Gb/s, I just bought a SATA 2 SSD, and I'm limited to half of my speed because of this.

I have a late 2008 Unibody Macbook I tried to install the EFI 1.7 update that addressed this issues in the pro's but it no dice. I got a lil further threw the install process by deleting all the requirement with Packagemaker though. If anyone knows a work around to modify the EFI update to make it work on these macbooks too it's GREATLY appreciated. :eek:

notreallymacfan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
I'm one of the lucky ones who needed to downgrade to EFI 1.6 after upgrading the hard drive (Apple firmwared SATA I to OEM SATA II) on my Mid-2009 MBP. Before downgrading to EFI 1.6, the SATA II drive would often not boot, and when it did it would beach ball constantly. After downgrading to EFI 1.6, forcing the system to SATA I mode, the system has been running perfectly.

I would love to hear if these updates have allowed anyone who needed EFI 1.6, to upgrade their EFI version. I would also be interested if anyone knows if the negotiated link rate can somehow be set to 1.5 instead of 3 Gbps - since I believe if I was able to set the rate to 1.5 Gbps, I would then be able to upgrade my EFI version from 1.6.
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 1st gen has a jumper setting to force 1.5Gbps, I put in in my MBP and I no longer have the spinning ball for 10 seconds, and I did not even have to lock the speed down. My computer is really nice now. get the drive at clearance now for $70 or so. this is pretty fast.
user manual is on seagate site. don't get 750GB as this is the 2nd get w/o the jumper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.