Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reillyj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
I just purchased a 20" Cinema Display for my PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth edition with AGP Graphics) and can't get it to run past the startup screen (it goes blank instead of showing the desktop). It seems I need a new graphics card to get it working...does that sound right? Can you recommend what to get?

Thanks!

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Here's the System Requirements for the 20" Display off Apples Tech Specs Page:
One of the following:
* Power Mac G4 or G5 with NVIDIA graphics card or ATI Radeon 7500 or better graphics card and Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later
* PowerBook G4 with DVI port and Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later
* Windows-based PCs with graphics card that supports DVI ports with full single link digital bandwidth and VESA DDC standard for plug and play setup.

So if it's still the original ATI Rage 128 Pro in your Sawtooth then yes a new Video card should fix the problem. So depending on what you want to spend, you could try to find a Radeon 7500, ATI dosen't have them for sale on their site anymore. Or for about $150 you could get a nice Radeon 9000 128MB, I've got one in my 450 AGP G4, it should have no problem driving that display. There are one or two other cards, but depending on the processor speed of your machine going more powerful than the 9000 might not help you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.