Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hog Milanese

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Austin
Both play and run great on this machine (2.4 / 8GB). Resolution is at 1200x800 and it runs very fast, but even when you bump it up, it is still more than playable.

The fans turn on, but they are quieter than on my old 13" Air, and they power down about 15-20 seconds after quitting the games.

Very impressed. Not top performance by any means, but you can at least dabble with some decent games. I couldn't even load Civ5 on my Air, much less play it.

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
Thanks!! I was wondering about these exact two games on this exact model! Perfect! :) can't wait for mine to arrive.

ktc

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
As someone coming from the PC, are all the issues w/ Civ V on the Mac crashing resolved? Or would you still recommend bootcamping and doing Civ on Windows?

Thx.

Hog Milanese

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Austin
As someone coming from the PC, are all the issues w/ Civ V on the Mac crashing resolved? Or would you still recommend bootcamping and doing Civ on Windows?

Thx.

I never had crashing issues on my iMac. I couldn't play it at all on my old Air, but the rMBP runs it fine.

acunit86

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
I had problems a while back with my rMBP 15" under OS X, but they got fixed with an update a while back. I still play CIV 5 under bootcamp because it performs so much better--at least with the GT650m...I can not speak to the Intel graphics.

ktc

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
I never had crashing issues on my iMac. I couldn't play it at all on my old Air, but the rMBP runs it fine.

Which Windows are you using? With all the hoopla about Bootcamp crashing, etc., are there updated Windows drivers for the 2013 MBPr chipset/hardware?

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
Civ 5 Gold from Steam is working great on my 13" Iris rMBP. Most of the settings are at medium and low except for textures, which are on high. No issues with frame rate or lag. Starcraft 2 is still downloading.

ktc

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Just wondering, what's the battery life with Civ 5 from a full battery?

I'm assuming if there was a dGPU in there it would be done within an hour. :p

Tfb

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Which Air did you have? I'm doing all right on my c2d and wondering how amazing it would be on a more powerful machine.

ktc

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Just set up Win7-64x on Bootcamp and installed Civ V. It looks kinda funny and doesn't go full window, etc.

What Windows resolution and what game resolution are you guys running? Thx.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I hate fan noise !

Question about Civ V on the rMBP.

On what version of the rMBPs just released is there minimum fan noise when playing Civ V ? Is there a model where the fans just don't spin up ? Does it scale inversely to CPU/GPU power or does Civ just use higher settings on a more powerful rMBP ?

I can play it on my 2011 13in MBA, but the fans go to max and stay there, so I quit after 15mins or so !

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Question about Civ V on the rMBP.

On what version of the rMBPs just released is there minimum fan noise when playing Civ V ? Is there a model where the fans just don't spin up ? Does it scale inversely to CPU/GPU power or does Civ just use higher settings on a more powerful rMBP ?

I can play it on my 2011 13in MBA, but the fans go to max and stay there, so I quit after 15mins or so !

Of course the fans are going to spin. Gaming pushes hardware hard. Hardware being pushed hard produces a lot of heat.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Of course the fans are going to spin. Gaming pushes hardware hard. Hardware being pushed hard produces a lot of heat.

Yes, I know that but it's matter of degree. More recent hardware produces less heat per unit of work, so equivalent fans will spin less. Plus Apple has redesigned fans to be more effective plus Civ V is an oldish game. So at some point fans aren't going to spin up very much if the "work" remains the same as hardware improves.

----------

Both play and run great on this machine (2.4 / 8GB). Resolution is at 1200x800 and it runs very fast, but even when you bump it up, it is still more than playable.

The fans turn on, but they are quieter than on my old 13" Air, and they power down about 15-20 seconds after quitting the games.

Very impressed. Not top performance by any means, but you can at least dabble with some decent games. I couldn't even load Civ5 on my Air, much less play it.

How bearable is the fan noise on your rMBP ? Does the fan still max out ? On my 13in 2011 MBA Civ V is unplayable ! Headphones ?

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
if someone can run rome 2 bench I would be very much grateful

Lucky:)

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
Yes, I know that but it's matter of degree. More recent hardware produces less heat per unit of work, so equivalent fans will spin less. Plus Apple has redesigned fans to be more effective plus Civ V is an oldish game. So at some point fans aren't going to spin up very much if the "work" remains the same as hardware improves.

You are right but when you install a game on a new machine with more performance the game will recognise this performance grow and will use it. In fact the fan will spin probably a little less but not as much as you aspect it but will run a lot faster and need less time to calc troop movements etc.

Cheers Lucky

luluhulu

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2013
works decently

No problem here, 1920 x 1200 and medium settings on late 2013 8gig 13" stock CPU.
fps dip to 21 when big battle, otherwise sustained at mid 30s.
All in all decent, definitely not worth the upgrade for a base 15" with iris pro when it comes to this game.

thebrobrah

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
do the fans turn on in low settings?

i dont mind sacrificing a little eye candy for peace and quiet

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I play SC4 on my Mac with Windows 7. It performs very well, but crashes more often than it did when I ran it on a Windows computer.

My MBP is 13" 2.7GHz i7, 16GB RAM

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
do the fans turn on in low settings?

i dont mind sacrificing a little eye candy for peace and quiet

The fans will never be louder than music or the game sounds. Have you actually ever sat next to an MBP? It doesn't roar like a jet engine like many PC laptops do.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Shouldnt you mean simcity 2000?
Sc2000 is old but sc2 is really really old!

Capital Inertia

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Orange County, CA
I play Civ 5 (Mac Native) with Iris Pro on 15in. The fans do spin 2 mins. after loading game. But its not that loud and its only noticeable because the fan hardly ever spin for video streaming \ internet other wise. I'm very happy with performance. I play in strategic view most of the time so I really like the high res… If you play some music or book on tape you'll forget about fans. The laptop does get a little hot so I like to put a book under it to help it stay cool. Also I haven't timed it but you can play more then an hour on battery on Retina 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.