Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
In the keynote Phil Schiller says the iPod mini is 5gb, like the new seagate microdrives. Could they start using them as well, or is it just a slip up. Decide for yourself, its at 2:25 if you don't believe me.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
jimsowden said:
In the keynote Phil Schiller says the iPod mini is 5gb, like the new seagate microdrives. Could they start using them as well, or is it just a slip up. Decide for yourself, its at 2:25 if you don't believe me.
yeah, i noticed that. i bet he was warming up listening to his 1g 5gb :p. either that or NEW POWERBOOKS NEXT TUESDAY!!

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Wow, do you think he slipped up or he's hinting something? I think he just slipped because it would be stupid for Apple to only upgrade the mini by 1 GB.

Anyway, here's to new PowerBooks on Tuesday! :p

JOD8FY

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
First, the mention of a 5GB iPod Mini has nothing to do with new PowerBooks. And with the iPod Mini just having gone international recently and still in high demand, there is little incentive for Apple to update them, especially with the amazing lack of good competition in that part of the market. Or maybe it's wishful thinking, me being the owner of a week old mini.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
mms said:
First, the mention of a 5GB iPod Mini has nothing to do with new PowerBooks. And with the iPod Mini just having gone international recently and still in high demand, there is little incentive for Apple to update them, especially with the amazing lack of good competition in that part of the market. Or maybe it's wishful thinking, me being the owner of a week old mini.

It makes sense to me.
There was rumor of the 6gb drives. Why not make another mini with a 6gb drive and sell it for $300? let the 4gb drive stay at $250. Sure, we would all complain, but the general public would eat them up, and that's good.

It's the only thing that makes sense though. No reason to cut the current Mini's price, and yet Apple is selling every 4gb drive they can get their hands on. Why not add another drive to the mix? It would potentially double the availably mini's that are for sale.

Tyler

interested

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2004
Earendil said:
It makes sense to me.
There was rumor of the 6gb drives. Why not make another mini with a 6gb drive and sell it for $300?

Tyler

because the ipod is at $300, and they would def not raise the price of the ipod. Nevertheless, i think it would be a good move for Apple, and have a lot of appeal.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
It was just a slip up. The guy was about to do his first keynote without holding Steves hand. I'd slip up and s*** my pants if I was in his position.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
musicpyrite said:
It was just a slip up. The guy was about to do his first keynote without holding Steves hand. I'd slip up and s*** my pants if I was in his position.
I totally understand that, and he did a good job too. I think it would be fun.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
Was he rounding 4gb to 5gb. Was he thinking about the 1st gen. 5gb iPod. Or is he just out of it lol. Just kidding

jrober

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
I'm sure it was a mistake, if you listen he says 5 gb 5 Colours. The Brain is very efficient and probably decided to store this as 5 both times as it is easier.

Speaking to a big audience is very challenging. A colleague of mine once said "I am responsible for sex" (Should have been "success" for those wondering) and didn't notice for 2 sentences until the MD in the front row cracked up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.