Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trixtee

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2015
I almost want to return my scratched watch before the two weeks are up and just get a new one, lol.

I would love to see photos of your scratched one, and know what caused it. That is what I'm afraid with the SB one. I think the SS will look better with wear than the SB will.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I would love to see photos of your scratched one, and know what caused it. That is what I'm afraid with the SB one. I think the SS will look better with wear than the SB will.
Here you go. I forget what even caused it to be honest. I think it might have made contact with metal.

image.jpg

Trixtee

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2015
Thank you, if that were me I would take it to a retail store and talk to them and see what happens. The sooner you go in, and nicer you are the better chance for them to send it out under warranty for a replacement. If that didn't work, I would call apple care and ask them the same thing nicely.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Thank you, if that were me I would take it to a retail store and talk to them and see what happens. The sooner you go in, and nicer you are the better chance for them to send it out under warranty for a replacement. If that didn't work, I would call apple care and ask them the same thing nicely.
I'm not sure they cover scratches. But I guess it wouldn't hurt. I just went to the Apple Store earlier to return headphones, so maybe I'll go in tomorrow.

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
I'm not sure they cover scratches. But I guess it wouldn't hurt. I just went to the Apple Store earlier to return headphones, so maybe I'll go in tomorrow.
Likely they'll send it out and it will be sent back unrepaired.

Trixtee

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2015

I sent you a PM, please read it :) it explains why your watch has a good chance of being covered.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
So they said scratches aren't covered. They said if I had AppleCare+, it can be fixed twice with a service fee, but I feel like it's not worth using up the repairs on scratches.

I'll try going into an Apple Store and see if I have any luck there.

Reactions: ElRojito

isupes

macrumors member
May 22, 2015
Here you go. I forget what even caused it to be honest. I think it might have made contact with metal.

View attachment 557513
Almost looks you may have banged it on something rough like concrete, brick, or stucco...I've seen marks like that before..on my iPhone..from dropping it onto concrete...not good news for people like me who can be a bit rough with my things from time to time...was hoping the coating would be a bit stronger than that

Reactions: NovemberWhiskey

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Almost looks you may have banged it on something rough like concrete, brick, or stucco...I've seen marks like that before..on my iPhone..from dropping it onto concrete...not good news for people like me who can be a bit rough with my things from time to time...was hoping the coating would be a bit stronger than that
And just to be clear, those marks on the screen are just dust. Not a single scratch on the sapphire yet.

And honestly, the scratches don't bother me that much. It still looks like a very nice watch.

isupes

macrumors member
May 22, 2015
And just to be clear, those marks on the screen are just dust. Not a single scratch on the sapphire yet.

And honestly, the scratches don't bother me that much. It still looks like a very nice watch.
I was jus commenting on nature of the markings...i believe the sapphire is very much proven in that area...but on the casing it jus appears into be less of a scratch and more of impact on a rough surface...the thing about watches is when your doing something rough its easy to forget you even have one on and then the damage is done...i am notorious for this

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
He shouldn't be calling them scratches unless he's taken every measure to try to remove them.

And trying to freak people out that haven't even received their watches yet is pretty damn poor form in my book.

Funny, @H3rman dropped his and actually bent one of the corners, making it so he can't put the link bracelet back on, so had to leave the sport band on it until the replacement watch body came in. Said he was being as careless as he could with it after that...don't think he's managed to hurt it yet. Maybe he'll chime in on if he was able to do anything to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

isupes

macrumors member
May 22, 2015
Thank you for continuing to keep us updated on how the watch is holding up

Last edited by a moderator:

Trixtee

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2015
Lol, trying to freak everyone out? I'd rather let people know ahead of time it's not scratch-proof instead of people getting a scratch and going like "wait, that's not supposed to happen!" If I really wanted to freak people out, I would've posted pictures of the microscratches on the other sides of the bezel which aren't as big a deal.

Also, just to calm everyone down, the scratches are difficult to make out. I had to be under the right lighting conditions to accurately show the scratches. People looking at your watch probably won't notice any scratches.

Sorry you got so much flack for me asking about your picture. You just experienced an issue I have been concerned about and now I know to be careful that it isn't scratch proof and I can set reasonable expectations for myself. I do appreciate your replies and photographs.

Reactions: dannyyankou

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Lol, trying to freak everyone out? I'd rather let people know ahead of time it's not scratch-proof instead of people getting a scratch and going like "wait, that's not supposed to happen!" If I really wanted to freak people out, I would've posted pictures of the microscratches on the other sides of the bezel which aren't as big a deal.

Also, just to calm everyone down, the scratches are difficult to make out. I had to be under the right lighting conditions to accurately show the scratches. People looking at your watch probably won't notice any scratches.

Several people on the owners thread (and previously in this thread) pointed you to the various DLC blogs with info on how to remove potential deposits left on top of the DLC and recommended that you use some of the information there to remove them.

Last I heard, you were "afraid to try" to do so. Your words.

Until you do, they aren't scratches. They can easily be softer materials deposited on top of the DLC coating.

isupes

macrumors member
May 22, 2015
Several people on the owners thread (and previously in this thread) pointed you to the various DLC blogs with info on how to remove potential deposits left on top of the DLC and recommended that you use some of the information there to remove them.

Last I heard, you were "afraid to try" to do so. Your words.

Until you do, they aren't scratches. They can easily be softer materials deposited on top of the DLC coating.
Did you even look at the picture? I mean clicked on it and zoomed in? It's obvious the markings go down beyond the coating to the stainless steel beneath. You're jus being rude to the guy for no apparent reason. All he's trying to do is keep us informed and let us know that the watch is not impervious to damage. I'd advise against trying anything for risking the chance of chipping away more bits of the coating.

Reactions: Switchback666

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
You know, I'll try rubbing it with the hard side of a sponge and see if they are deposits. I'm 99% sure it's scratches, but I'll give it a try.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Did you even look at the picture? I mean clicked on it and zoomed in? It's obvious the markings go down beyond the coating to the stainless steel beneath. You're jus being rude to the guy for no apparent reason. All he's trying to do is keep us informed and let us know that the watch is not impervious to damage. I'd advise against trying anything for risking the chance of chipping away more bits of the coating.

Yes, Mr..."I've been following Danny forever...forever being 9 days." I've looked at the photo, those little flecks could easily be deposits.

@dannyyankou So, did you try to remove any of them yet?

For those not privy to the other conversations - we're not talking about anything abrasive here. We're talking about oils that will soften deposits, allowing you to rub them off of a DLC coating.

Here's one of the sources we pointed Danny to, with multiple suggestions for removing deposits off of DLC:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...move-scratches-from-black-finished-DLC-blades

Feel free to peruse the owners thread as well.

isupes

macrumors member
May 22, 2015
Yes, Mr..."I've been following Danny forever...forever being 9 days." I've looked at the photo, those little flecks could easily be deposits.

For those not privy to the other conversations - we're not talking about anything abrasive here. We're talking about oils that will soften deposits, allowing you to rub them off of a DLC coating.

Here's one of the sources we pointed Danny to, with multiple suggestions for removing deposits off of DLC:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...move-scratches-from-black-finished-DLC-blades

You are some piece of work sir. How's about instead of going around telling people to remove themselves from a thread..you just go ahead and remove yourself from the thread. You seem to be the only one with a problem here.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
You know, I'll try rubbing it with the hard side of a sponge and see if they are deposits. I'm 99% sure it's scratches, but I'll give it a try.

Danny, that may not be an effective method to try to remove them. You need to try some of these oils that can lift the deposits off of the coating. You really won't know until you do that.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

I didn't try yet because you can't remove scratches from a DLC watch. When I put my fingernail over it, my fingernail dips and and outside edge of the scratch stops my fingernail from moving any further.

I'll just live with it and let someone else try a method that works. From here on out I'm done talking about scratches. Just be careful everyone and enjoy.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
He shouldn't be calling them scratches unless he's taken every measure to try to remove them.

And trying to freak people out that haven't even received their watches yet is pretty damn poor form in my book.

Funny, @H3rman dropped his and actually bent one of the corners, making it so he can't put the link bracelet back on, so had to leave the sport band on it until the replacement watch body came in. Said he was being as careless as he could with it after that...don't think he's managed to hurt it yet. Maybe he'll chime in on if he was able to do anything to it.

Yup, you are 100% correct mate! New watch body just arrived this instant and I've packed up my old one ready for UPS to collect. Like you said, after I bent the corner and deemed the watch unusable with the link bracelet I stopped caring about it as AppleCare+ was covering a replacement.

Kept it for a good week without caring about it as I was abroad and just returned on Tuesday, so couldn't sort an express replacement until I got back home.

The old watch still look brand spanking new after a buff with the cloth (minus the dent of course). However I will say 1 thing, when the new one arrived I gave it a good looking over and saw what looked like chips at the edge of the coating where it met the screen. Rubbing it with my finger did nothing and I was REALLY close to calling Apple. Eventually breathes on it and rubbed it properly with a cloth. It cleaned up and removed whatever was on the watch. I suspect it was some kind of polishing compound they use at the factory to give the watch a nice shine prior to shipping.

That's the only mark I have seen on either watch that took more than 10 seconds to remove. Still came off relatively easily though and both watches are spotless minus the dent on the first one.

HOWEVER.....I will say that apart from the drop that dented the corner the old watch never made contact with anything else that I can think of. However I did let my 18 month old nephew play with it and what not, so it wasn't babied or anything, just used in a "meh, don't care any more" kind of way.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Also, just want to add that looking at the picture above it DOES NOT look like basic scratches.

The picture and the description above to me say that those are gouges in the metal and physical material has been removed. Not a problem with the coating not being up to the task, but more that the metal isn't very tough. Just like most stainless steel. When I dropped my watch the coating was fine but the metal got dented.

I wouldn't worry about scratches, but I would still try to avoid hitting anything with your watches as gouges and dents in the metal itself can and will happen!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.