Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatconnection

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2022
Hi
I would like to screen record something off Netflix? Are you able to do this or is it blocked? The inbuilt screen recorder on IPad captures audio perfectly well but no visual which made me think it’s blocked? Has anyone tried this or something similar recently with success?

thanks

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Hi
I would like to screen record something off Netflix? Are you able to do this or is it blocked? The inbuilt screen recorder on IPad captures audio perfectly well but no visual which made me think it’s blocked? Has anyone tried this or something similar recently with success?

thanks
I’ve not tried this on Netflix, but I know on Amazon prime it’s blocked. I just wanted a screenshot, but no. It’s likely due to copyright. I’m pretty sure any kind of video screen recording is going to be blocked on any copyrighted content. It would be too easy to copy if it wasn’t.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Some apps like teams prevents screen recording of audio or video. It’s for privacy.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’ve not tried this on Netflix, but I know on Amazon prime it’s blocked. I just wanted a screenshot, but no. It’s likely due to copyright. I’m pretty sure any kind of video screen recording is going to be blocked on any copyrighted content. It would be too easy to copy if it wasn’t.
I can confirm, screenshots are blocked on Netflix, too. OP, screen recording is blocked on every one of these services, even sports-streaming ones.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Are you viewing NF off its app, or through a web browser? If only one of them, perhaps try the other? (although I'm guessing the app would be more restrictive in this regard).

Perhaps try some 3rd party screen recording apps? However, recommend asking for one first, as unless apps have trial versions, it can get costly to go through too many of these without getting what you wanted. I myself noticed this on desktop. Tried a few screenshot apps, only to realize that while Chrome doesn't let you capture screen shots (nor video clips) for certain streaming services (e.g. Paramount Plus), Firefox does!

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
If you really want to, there are third party apps that can record videos off of streaming services, like PlayOn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.