Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadders6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2019
Dallas
When I (successfully) do a video screen record, with audio, There's NO onscreen indication that it's actually recording. No blinking red light, no numbers counting. Is it supposed to be that way? I'm using QuickTime - Cmd-Shift-5 (Catalina)

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
There should be an icon in the menu bar area. This is how I stop recording, how have you been doing it?

dadders6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2019
Dallas
When I Cmd-Shft-5, this shows up, but as soon as I hit the record button, that lower bar disappears. I know how to start and stop, I just wish there were some 'verification' WHILE it is recording.

Attachments

• Before Screen Record.jpg
    Before Screen Record.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 82
  • After Screen Record start.jpg
    After Screen Record start.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 116

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
When I Cmd-Shft-5, this shows up, but as soon as I hit the record button, that lower bar disappears. I know how to start and stop, I just wish there were some 'verification' WHILE it is recording.
Is your menu bar not visible? There is a recording indicator that shows up there. In fact I’m not sure how you’re stopping the recording without it… what am I missing?

dadders6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2019
Dallas
to Stop recording, I have to use Cmd-Cntr-Esq. There is no 'stop' button visible. That menu bar disappears as soon as i Start the recording. see pics above. While recording, the only thing I see is the 'area' that is being recorded, no other indication of recording. I have to take it on 'faith' that it's working, no way to be sure until I stop and check the recorded file.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
The menu bar is at the top of your screen. It should be visible during your screen recording (unless you’ve set yours to hide). The menu bar items are near the clock. Please check there for the icon I am talking about.

filbert42

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2014
Worcestershire, UK
I definitely have a stop button on my menu bar - it's very small and discreet. I assume you don't any software like BarTender to manipulate the items on the menu bar?

What irritates me, though, is that there's no way to pause the recording.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.