Screen Resolutions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mbryant52, Aug 15, 2006.

1. macrumors member

How noticeable is the increase in resolution from the iBook to the Macbook? Is there any substantial difference in actual usability?

2. macrumors 601

eva01

1024X768 compared to 1280X800

You can do the math of the percentage of increase of pixels

3. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Despite glossiness, the screens are of a substantially better quality on the MacBook over the iBook.

4. macrumors member

I was hoping someone might attest to first-hand use experience of how much more functional the larger screen is.

5. macrumors regular

iMacFan78

There is a 76.8% increase in screen real estate. Pretty substantial, IMO. I used both in CompUSA, and the MacBook's screen is much better.

6. macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

It depends how you work. If you have lots of open windows and like to use apps side-by-side, then that extra resolution is very nice to have. If you like to maximize all your windows and use them all full-screen, then maybe it's not such a big deal.

7. macrumors member

That is very helpful. Thank you.

8. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

...um you have got it wrong, how can it be that much more pixels.

The iBook has 786,432. The MacBook has 1,024,000 pixels. That around ~30% if my maths is correct.

9. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Here's a comparison I quickly made.

Click to get the real size :)

Attached Files:

10. reh
    macrumors 6502a

Just to reiterate, this figure is very, very wrong. The MacBook has about 30.2% more pixels than the iBook.

11. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

IMO it makes a very big difference. On my macbook I can see 2 full pages (word, preview, safari, etc.) side by side. Very helpful, and totally impossible on an ibook.

The MB screen is also glossy (which is a very good thing, despite what many people who have not used it will tell you) and much brighter. In fact, I think that's where the 76% figure comes from: the MB is 76% brighter.

12. macrumors regular

iMacFan78

Oops. I had my proportion backwards. The iBook's screen is 33.2% smaller than the MacBook's.

13. macrumors 6502a

I sold my G4 iBook to get the MacBook and after almost 1 month of being on the MacBook I still appreciate the extra "romminess" I get now. I too think it is fairly significant, and the 13" widescreen to me is just the perfect sweet spot. I don't like big notebook computers with 15-17" screens. I liked the 12" iBook but always felt kinda cramped. With my new MacBook, I feel like its just right. :)

14. macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

The MacBook screen res is a nice increasement from the iBook, but I still prefer using my 17" iMac anyday.